Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3889198 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1425 on: 05 September, 2008, 07:43:43 pm »
— the sensation of cold water washing over one's feet. Invigorating!

:-\

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #1426 on: 05 September, 2008, 09:09:21 pm »
NO! Its *****Y RAINING!

« Reply #1427 on: 06 September, 2008, 04:53:14 pm »
Yep, today, I went here

with Barry Mason and a small select band from Southwark Cyclists.
I'll post some more pics in the gallery once I've sorted through them
More pictures in the Gallery

« Reply #1428 on: 06 September, 2008, 05:05:09 pm »
That looked good Jurek, it was fully booked by the time I found out about it.

I'm going to try and get to the afterworker on Thurs though.

Karen Sutton

« Reply #1429 on: 06 September, 2008, 06:04:54 pm »
Yes. To the greengrocer's this morning to get two panniers full of shopping.
Then at lunchtime round the block several times testing recently repaired bikes.
Then off to the swimmming pool this afternoon with daughter number two and her friend.

Depending on the weather tomorrow we may do the first part of the CTC run.

GillP

« Reply #1430 on: 06 September, 2008, 08:50:58 pm »
Yes, 70 miles with some members of the Garstang CTC having encountered them at the cafe stop at Chipping last week and being invited to join them on a ride any time, we decided to join them for their windmills ride today. We had a fab time, were made very welcome, cycled through some deep water and returned home tired and happy  :D

Seems like we will very soon be signing up for membership  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1431 on: 07 September, 2008, 01:15:52 pm »
Cycled to the wee Clapham Farmers Market to get some fruit and veg, eggs from happy chickens, and fruit leathers that I expect will be useful on longer cycle rides. All pretty reasonable.

Then on to Brixton Lidl for tinned stuff etc.

Trundled home with two full panniers.

Quite a juxtaposition there I know...

« Reply #1432 on: 07 September, 2008, 02:37:19 pm »
No, not on the bike.  No Sunday morning pootle for me today.
Went shopping in Swindon for son1's remaining present - a mobile phone.
Damn place is full of ugly people.  Rude people.  Clients most of them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1433 on: 07 September, 2008, 02:48:07 pm »
A nice 50 miler with the SE Essex CTC. Delthebike led the charge. Only 6 of us: it was raining at about 8 a.m. and although there were a couple of drizzly showers along the way, it was a good ride. Elevensies (sic) at a golf club and a swift pint of Brewer's Gold at the East Hanningfield Windmill - just to check that it was OK for the Essex Boys' ride in a week or two.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1434 on: 07 September, 2008, 02:48:54 pm »
No, not on the bike.  No Sunday morning pootle for me today.
Went shopping in Swindon for son1's remaining present - a mobile phone.
Damn place is full of ugly people.  Rude people.  Clients most of them.

I hope you were nice to them GruB. No-one ever won an argument with a customer.

« Reply #1435 on: 07 September, 2008, 06:01:26 pm »
Clients most of them.

Was the first word of that sentence a typo?  ;)

Is there no end to this miz weather?
Indoors pretty much all day today  :(

« Reply #1436 on: 07 September, 2008, 06:14:33 pm »
I must have skirted round it all - I did 85 miles from north of stamford down to home with no rain at all :)

I spoke to brother when I was having a garage sandwich for lunch in Ramsey (mmm)  and he said there was torrential rain in cambridge, but by the time I got there the sun had come out  8)

so 85 miles, 4 1/2 hours.  Quite tired now...

« Reply #1437 on: 07 September, 2008, 06:16:26 pm »
Nope, stayed inside and rested all day. I am so whacked after all this travelling and working and working and travelling. The return journey on Friday took ten hours, and 30 minutes of that was waiting for a damned gate at Shatwick. My holiday fitness has been wiped out. Ho hum.  >:(

« Reply #1438 on: 07 September, 2008, 07:34:42 pm »
It was my 60th today and I did 30km on my 'bent. I suppose I could have done 60km but I'm glad I never. It was damp out and I'd have missed all my kids lining up to give me presents  ;D
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #1439 on: 07 September, 2008, 08:18:26 pm »
60 of them? ;)
Happy Birthday Nobby. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #1440 on: 07 September, 2008, 08:27:36 pm »
Did 202k riding the Nortern Dales Audax. Good news: Brilliant ride. Stunning scenery. One ride that will become an annual ride for me.  Bad news: Had to ride the last 15 miles on one leg. Left crank and bottom bracket completely f**ked. That makes it the most expensive ride of the year.  :'(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1441 on: 07 September, 2008, 08:50:39 pm »
Did 202k riding the Nortern Dales Audax. Good news: Brilliant ride. Stunning scenery. One ride that will become an annual ride for me.  Bad news: Had to ride the last 15 miles on one leg. Left crank and bottom bracket completely f**ked. That makes it the most expensive ride of the year.  :'(

Console yourself that all the other rides contributed towards it.

« Reply #1442 on: 07 September, 2008, 09:03:51 pm »
No biking either. We were in the Lake Dsitrict. Pampering at the hotel, good food, re-lax... I managed a run along the Beck though on Saturday. It was wet, but so beautigul. I love this place.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1443 on: 07 September, 2008, 09:09:56 pm »
Did the Manchester 100- 109 miles in total if you count getting to the start, doing the ride, going to the pub then riding home. I acted as domestique for Helen on the return leg  O:-)- wind from NW, direction of travel- NW. I'll post elsewhere for tips on riding on wheels/having someone ride on your wheel.
I've decided that I don't like the MCR 100 route and I'm not sure that I'll do it again.
Bad accident on the way back- car on roof. The (elderly) driver was already being strapped in a body brace by paramedics. As far as I could see, no cyclists were involved directly but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some cyclist interaction- frustrated/impatient driver overtaking inappropriately. I'm speculating.
We passed by as quickly as we could- rubbernecking didn't appeal.
Not nice.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #1444 on: 07 September, 2008, 09:25:48 pm »
Did my first ride since fracturing my elbow back in July. A very gentle 20 miles.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1445 on: 08 September, 2008, 01:43:38 pm »
Cycled on Saturday with 8 others around Canterbury and the Isle of Thanet...around 60 miles and hardly any rain  :)

Lewisham Cyclists -Canterbury to Ramsgate with Bromley Cyclists

« Reply #1446 on: 08 September, 2008, 02:49:23 pm »

Console yourself that all the other rides contributed towards it.
True :-)
At least it happened near the end of the ride. I am consoling myself by upgrading the chainset to Ultegra SL instead 105. Good deals over at Ribble at the moment and cheap fitting. They can even fit it before Thursday's hill climb time trial.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1447 on: 08 September, 2008, 05:26:12 pm »
60 of them? ;)
Happy Birthday Nobby. :)

Thank you, Butterfly
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1448 on: 08 September, 2008, 07:17:35 pm »
Rode out with Mrs. J-tsc today. Out through Chichester to Woodmancote then down along to Compton where we went up over Littlegreen Hill. Then down over the border into Hampshire. Cut off along the Burriton road from Ideford, this is one of my favourite lanes which skirts Queen Elizabeth park. Over to Weston and along the lanes to East Meon before turning up the hill towards HMS Mercury. We then called in to the sustainability centre, although there was a woodland funeral going on while we were there. These are quite popular (people are dying etc.....). Back on the bikes we descended to Clanfield and up across the A3 then down Windmill Hill to Chalton. This is another fine lane for biking and goes along to Denlane End. We then climbed up to Forestside and along to Stansted House for scones and a rest.. Home through Funtingdon, West Stoke and down Centurion Way into Chichester thence to Bognor. One nasty puncture for Carole (will need new tyre) and several homicidal drivers, so a fairly normal ride then....exept that it did not rain.
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #1449 on: 09 September, 2008, 07:16:17 am »
I was out with the Mrs too, except she was on the horse rather than bike.  Horse [rory] has been lame for a while and this was her first time riding him for about 3 months, she was worried about him freaking out and bouncing across the road or galloping off up a field. 

If someone rides a bike just in front, he's a lot calmer because he has something to follow.  So it was 3 miles round the block with a horse breathing down my neck!

(he was fine and still looked sound when we got back, thankfully)