Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3885709 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1450 on: 09 September, 2008, 04:08:39 pm »
I was out with the Mrs too, except she was on the back of the tandem.  If she's on the back, she's a lot calmer because she has something to follow.  :thumbsup:

We persuaded my walking pal to come with us. We did 22 miles, he did about 13 (we rode to and from his house but he, living there, didn't). It was his first bike ride for years, and it was great! It was also his first time on a bike since breaking his leg and he thoroughly enjoyed it.

One more bike!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1451 on: 09 September, 2008, 04:19:41 pm »
I went out last night to the club committee meeting. 20 miles there and 20miles — in the rain — back. Swerved to avoid a toad in a small lane, who looked over his shoulder as if to say, "Bloody cyclists."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1452 on: 09 September, 2008, 04:33:21 pm »
I went out last night to the club committee meeting. 20 miles there and 20miles — in the rain — back. Swerved to avoid a toad in a small lane, who looked over his shoulder as if to say, "Bloody cyclists."

You weren't re-enacting "Wind in the Willows" by any chance?

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #1453 on: 09 September, 2008, 05:36:43 pm »
40 odd miles with the Over 40's culminating with a rendez-vous with Delthebike.

Nice weather for a bike ride!  8)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #1454 on: 09 September, 2008, 07:26:38 pm »
Intervals in the pouring rain - and I love riding in the rain  :D :D :D

« Reply #1455 on: 09 September, 2008, 07:29:08 pm »
Just to work and back. The junction where I join the Embankment has had no traffic lights depuis two days. Bloody dangerous!!!  >:(

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1456 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:50:07 pm »
It was supposed to be the club hill climb tonight. I left a tad later than intended, and had to push a wee bit to get there. This included the first half (Longforgan and the Knapp) of the Thursday night hilly run.

I'd specially prepped the good bike and it was feeling good, except for the gears being a wee bit interesting (Bloody Campag, should have got something smooth and efficient from Japan instead).

Made it to the start 5 mins late. This is a confined club event so starts are approximate. I was dismayed to find nobody there.  'Must have just missed them' I thought so put some effort in to get to the top of the hill (without being able to dump jacket, water bottle, toolkit etc in the back of a car so lugged it up the hill). Nobody there either.
It wasn't even raining that much.

Down the other side to the main road. Low cloud so I didn't want to ride back that way, turn round in case I had got the time wrong. Back up to the top, down to the bridge. Nobody.

Back down through Knapp and Longforgan. Into the wind but no rain. Might just make it home for the ToB highlights. Up through Invergowrie and then Ninewells Brae. Hard going (as ever) on cooked legs. Got in at 20.10 after 30ish hilly miles.

I wish I was fit.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1457 on: 10 September, 2008, 08:42:23 am »
Yesterday, ride to see stage finish of ToB - report here

Tour of Britain stage 3

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1458 on: 10 September, 2008, 09:05:58 am »
Just to work and back. The junction where I join the Embankment has had no traffic lights depuis two days. Bloody dangerous!!!  >:(

Interesting...

My personal experience is that I prefer junctions where the lights aren't working, as drivers seem to slow down and are forced to be more aware.  Perhaps it depends on the type of junction?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1459 on: 10 September, 2008, 09:43:28 am »

Interesting...

My personal experience is that I prefer junctions where the lights aren't working, as drivers seem to slow down and are forced to be more aware.  Perhaps it depends on the type of junction?
They weren't slowing down at all, that was the problem! Even when cars were edging right out of the junction onto the Embankment in an attempt to get out, the Embankment traffic kept HURTLING BY! It was carnage in the making...  :-\

Regulator

« Reply #1460 on: 10 September, 2008, 10:22:41 am »
Maybe it is where a failure occurs that is the problem.

When the traffic lights next to the flat were out for about a week, following a broken water main, it was much nicer than when they were working.  Drivers were slowing down as they weren't sure who had priority and they were even giving way to cyclists and pedestrians.  This was a pleasant change to the usual 'race for the red light' and 'I'm bigger than you' scenario that is every day life.

I have ofen wondered what would happen if they simply switched off all the traffic lights.  Would we grind to a halt, or would drivers be forced to actually think about what they were doing?

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1461 on: 10 September, 2008, 10:43:36 am »
Last night, went out for a short ride down to Wandsworth and back.  Used it as a chance to try riding at a speed other than 'flat out', and tried maintaining a fairly constant speed.  That was fun, if a bit tricky.  Followed a friend on the way home, enjoying the ride and the turn of the pedals. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #1462 on: 10 September, 2008, 04:46:10 pm »

When the traffic lights next to the flat were out for about a week, following a broken water main, it was much nicer than when they were working.  Drivers were slowing down as they weren't sure who had priority and they were even giving way to cyclists and pedestrians.  This was a pleasant change to the usual 'race for the red light' and 'I'm bigger than you' scenario that is every day life.

I have ofen wondered what would happen if they simply switched off all the traffic lights.  Would we grind to a halt, or would drivers be forced to actually think about what they were doing?
I think the problem is due to the type of junction in question. It's a relatively minor road (Royal Hospital Road) joining a fast stretch of the Embankment, and the Embankment traffic is blind to the fact there is even a junction there. Very dangerous.

Regulator

« Reply #1463 on: 10 September, 2008, 04:55:35 pm »
Is that the junction that's at a bit of a funny angle?

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1464 on: 10 September, 2008, 05:37:35 pm »
The junction is indeed a bit bent.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1465 on: 11 September, 2008, 07:13:34 am »
Leave it......
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #1466 on: 11 September, 2008, 07:23:48 am »
Went out yesterday. I thought a longer ride to guage how firt I am after being poorly for a while.
Off to Arundel to climb Bury Hill and then down the other side. Good views at the top across the valley, and quite hot and sweaty by the time I had climbed to the top. Picked up the back lanes to Fittleworth and meandered to Petworth. A272 towards Midhurst and then left at Halfway Bridge. I love the dark dank lanes around Grafham and Selham. They have this heady pine perfume when it has been raining. Through Heyshott Common for the turn south where the wind hits me full in the face, still only 18 miles to go, but I am getting slower. Climb Cocking Hill (Fnrttc/Wittering) and down to Singleton. Had to stop off and despatch a couple of mixied bunnies. Tea at The Studio Tea Rooms where a sausage sandwich may have been consumed. Choice of four climbs over Goodwood, I took East Dean then down Pilligreen into Halnacker and Boxgrove. The sun was out now. We do seem to have this micro-climate around here. Caused by the prevailing wind and the shelter given by the Isle of Wight which pushes weather stuff around us. The view from the top at Goodwood sculpture park was amazing with the sea looking like a cauldron of molten silver....Tangmere and then the lanes home after putting up a big old buzzard at Colworth.....now tired.

« Reply #1467 on: 11 September, 2008, 08:16:41 am »

You weren't re-enacting "Wind in the Willows" by any chance?

And another toad last night. Just missed it. Perhaps all this wet is confusing them. Parp, parp!

« Reply #1468 on: 11 September, 2008, 09:35:04 am »

I think the problem is due to the type of junction in question. It's a relatively minor road (Royal Hospital Road) joining a fast stretch of the Embankment, and the Embankment traffic is blind to the fact there is even a junction there. Very dangerous.
And right on cue, Woolly and I were delicately negotiating this junction last night when a lady cyclist was almost squashed right in front of our noses, as she edged out onto the major road. A car hooted her indignantly as he simply was not aware that the lights were not working. There is nothing other than a small sign (which given the speed they're going is invisible) to indicate to the Embankment traffic that the lights are broken.  >:(

I hope it's fixed tonight or I will be getting off and crossing on foot. Bloody dangerous.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1469 on: 11 September, 2008, 01:24:19 pm »
Just back from a VERY hilly lunchtime 10 miles...

Hermit Hill is a git...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1470 on: 11 September, 2008, 03:19:09 pm »
A little light luncheon at the Crooked Billet with Fattebloake of this very parish. The T. Taylor's and the sausage sandwich were very good, as of course was the company.

It precipitated on the way home.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1471 on: 11 September, 2008, 03:29:11 pm »
Long way in this morning. My legs hurt after Tuesdays hills. I knew it was going to be a more sedate ride in on the first rise, with the twinges of 'you must be joking' from the thighs.

Anyhow, it didn't rain, it was surprisingly warm and the Swallow roundabout wasn't too deadly.

I had left a few minutes later than I should have, so had the first flush of homicidal maniacs parents dropping kids who are really capable of making their own way to school.

Creak.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1472 on: 11 September, 2008, 10:20:55 pm »
Just back from a 36 mile jaunt round Chorlton-Tatton-Knutsford-Wilmslow-Styal-Chorlton.
Got passed by a group from Seamons (sp ?) going up the wall around Tatton Park. I caught them up to see how fast they were going (21mph) then slowed down before I barfed. Different league.
A nice pint of Landlord at the Plough and Flail (very Cheshire Posh- won't be taking the Sunday group there).
Saw lots of wildlife- bats, alpacas, an eagle*, a fox and a suicidal rabbit which jumped out into my path and then jumped back at the very last minute.
Back in Chorlton- a pint of Ginger in the Marble. There was a lovely Cotic Roadrat fixed with discs tied up outside. Wish I'd taken a 'photo.

*No it wasn't an eagle but it was an impressive bird of prey type of bird. It wasn't an owl.

« Reply #1473 on: 11 September, 2008, 10:28:37 pm »
first after-work ride where I've needed the lights. Autumn feels like it's here... :(

« Reply #1474 on: 12 September, 2008, 01:31:10 pm »
mtbing today out of Slindon Bottom. Glorious day for a ride. Once up the top of Bignor the views were brilliant. River valleys full of mist and the downs looking up. Bit skiddy (still on summer tyres) but good stuff all the same. After descending from Whiteways the ground was covered in dew soaked spiders' webs. Almost lost the back wheel a couple of times and the last descent was a bit hard on the arms (single speed with rigid fork) but overall a hoot.