Author Topic: behold the mighty mashing!  (Read 7177 times)

Re: behold the mighty mashing!
« Reply #25 on: 16 December, 2019, 03:17:16 pm »
I knew it...

« Reply #26 on: 16 December, 2019, 09:17:29 pm »
To be fair, my folding pedal has been fine, and I think it's a good solution. But on the right-hand pedal, the dustcap drops out and then the bearings fall to bits, and they're not of a quality that you can really service (which would be a waste of time anyway with no dustcap).

I wondered about just replacing the right one. Might do that. I have one and a half pairs of FD-7s lying around.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #27 on: 17 December, 2019, 12:53:50 pm »
Mine's doing it too and only had the thing for a year.

It's amazing how they put low quality parts on an otherwise expensive bike.

Shit really.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 21 December, 2019, 10:23:44 am »
All the parts are low quality.  It's a £200 bike (or would be if it was assembled in the Far East, like everything else) sold for £1000.  You're paying for London labour costs, a lot of marketing and a fairly decent profit margin.  The latter is helped by aggressive IP enforcement (the patent is long expired, but the general appearance is trademarked) and highly dubious retail price maintenance; Brompton stop supplying dealers that sell at any meaningful discount, and always have.

It still folds smaller than anything else and holds up reasonably well.  Except the wheels, which can be dreadful and usually need taking apart and rebuilding when new. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.