Author Topic: Boris bikes - what's availability like?  (Read 1916 times)

mr_brooks

Boris bikes - what's availability like?
« on: 13 February, 2011, 10:23:33 am »
I'm working in London with a colleague for a week next week - hotel near Bayswater, working in the city, and both of us would prefer to cycle than to tube.

But can anyone advise on the real-life availability? There's a bike hire scheme in Krakow that I've never used, partly because I've never actually seen a bike available at the hire-point I would most likely use. So what do people think for us next week? Particularly since we will be looking for two bikes at a time.

Thanks in advance.

n0seblunt

Re: Boris bikes - what's availability like?
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2011, 11:38:59 am »
I've found availability is pretty good now, but check this map:

https://web.barclayscyclehire.tfl.gov.uk/maps

click on the icons to see the number of slots and bikes available near your hotel.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2011, 01:40:29 pm »
Also, if you have time, read through this mammoth thread with the out-of-date title for lots of general comments, including some on availability.

It'll be worth a go anyway - even if there aren't always two bikes left at the nearest docking station.  It will only be a short walk to the next.  Then have the Tube as your third option.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2011, 01:48:12 pm »
I don't have an iphone but believe there are apps which give real-time availability.
Otherwise http://www.oobrien.com/vis/bikes/ is updated every two minutes and gives size, location and bike availability at every docking station.

mr_brooks

« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2011, 06:02:47 pm »
Thanks all! Will report back in a week or so.

mr_brooks

« Reply #5 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:28:40 am »
Thanks all! Will report back in a week or so.

That was a most enjoyable week - always good availability, bikes comfortable, well-maintained and perfectly acceptable for flat terrain (despite their hefty weight). Occasional issues finding somewhere to return cycles in the evening, but no outrageous distances involved.

And so, so heartening to see all sorts of people using them. It's been 4 years since I last cycled in London, and there seem to be ever more cyclists. Great stuff.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
Re: Boris bikes - what are the pedals like?
« Reply #6 on: 10 March, 2011, 01:17:04 pm »
Are they bog standard threads? If I want to ride one, I'd have to remove a pedal and refit it with my crank adaptor. Probably breaking the Barclay Scheme's T&Cs, but I reckon no-one will notice. Will an ordinary pedal spanner fit?
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 10 March, 2011, 01:30:42 pm »
I can't remember specifically about the pedals, but these bikes are generally highly tamper-resistant.  You don't want to be seen on CCTV tampering with a Boris Bike anyway.  £300 charge for damage or misuse, iirc.

Re: Boris bikes - what are the pedals like?
« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:16:44 am »
Are they bog standard threads? If I want to ride one, I'd have to remove a pedal and refit it with my crank adaptor. Probably breaking the Barclay Scheme's T&Cs, but I reckon no-one will notice. Will an ordinary pedal spanner fit?

Had a look this morning. It won't.

Between the pedal and the crank it's round so a pedal spanner would be useless, and on the end of the pedal axle it has a square hole (5mm sides probably), not hexagonal.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2011, 10:37:05 am »
Could it be a standard 1/4" square drive - that you could use a wrench with?

I don't think it's going to be worth it anyway - with the risk of getting caught, and the time eating into your free half hour.