Author Topic: What new tyres would you like to see?  (Read 46924 times)

Re: What new tyres would you like to see?
« Reply #100 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:47:16 pm »
Can't see the point of tubeless myself for non-pro road use. It's hard enough fixing a p*ncture in a normal tubed tyre when I'm soaked and freezing cold cycling in the back of beyond, but going to something that has to have a proper seal between tyre and rim to inflate - I dont think so  :hand:

Do you really mean tubeless or are you talking about tubs?

yes, tubeless. tubs are something else entirely....

« Reply #101 on: 08 March, 2010, 11:22:29 pm »
I am using Pro3 on my race bike and Kyrlion on my Audax bike. Both 25mm versions. When the new versions were released they were smaller that the previous versions. I would like to see a tyre the same size as the old 25mm versions. Which I guess would new be a 28mm with the new smaller sizes.

I have not found the new Kyrlion as puncture resistant as the previous version and had to replace the front because the cuts in the tyre were rubbing the tube and causing punctures. Did the casing change when the new tyres were released?

On the whole I find it hard to fault the tyres for what I use them for. All I would say is that I have found Bontrager hard case to be almost puncture proof and has been the only tyre that I wore though to the casing. But did not have the same road feel as Krylion.

As far as I am aware, the casing construction of the Krylion Carbon has remained the same following its reintroduction

I like your point on the Bontrager - increasing punctures resistance and the durability of the tyre often compromises the "feel". Why do you thin k that solid tyres have ever really taken off? LOL

I read the comments here abot Krylion Carbons and wonder if I'm riding the same tyres?  You don't need solid tyres, my 25c Carbons feel like old rubber pram wheels.  I've tried higher and lower ends of the pressure spectrum too.  Find them just unfeeling, hard and slippy in the wet.  Me no likey.

PR2's and PR3's on the other hand are tyres fit for the Gods and will soon be returning after a winter hibernation.
The Krylions might are likely to be binned  for next winter in favour of something different. 

« Reply #102 on: 08 March, 2010, 11:24:17 pm »
I read the comments here abot Krylion Carbons and wonder if I'm riding the same tyres?  You don't need solid tyres, my 25c Carbons feel like old rubber pram wheels.  I've tried higher and lower ends of the pressure spectrum too.  Find them just unfeeling, hard and slippy in the wet.

Hmm. I'm about to fit a pair tomorrow. That's not too promising...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #103 on: 09 March, 2010, 05:15:43 am »
Can't see the point of tubeless myself for non-pro road use. It's hard enough fixing a p*ncture in a normal tubed tyre when I'm soaked and freezing cold cycling in the back of beyond, but going to something that has to have a proper seal between tyre and rim to inflate - I dont think so  :hand:

You can fit a tube if having trouble in the back of beyond after a puncture.  But most of the time you'd be riding without a tube in the tyre, which supposedly gives a better ride.

Personally, though, I don't believe the tiny bit of flexible ultra-light inner tube material spoils my ride to a degree worth bothering about.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #104 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:21:32 am »
I read the comments here abot Krylion Carbons and wonder if I'm riding the same tyres?  You don't need solid tyres, my 25c Carbons feel like old rubber pram wheels.  I've tried higher and lower ends of the pressure spectrum too.  Find them just unfeeling, hard and slippy in the wet.

? I fitted one to the front on the weekend. First ride this morning.

Can't say I found it unfeeling. Definitely not slippery. I'd say the grip was very good. It was a 25mm, replacing a 28mm GP4seasons.

What pressures are you using, FF?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #105 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:03:24 pm »
Don't describe grip as 'good' or even 'fair' until you have ridden the Pro3 Grip. That redefines the scale.

It will be interesting to see how I get on with the Carbon - I find Bontrager X-lite to be a bit squirrelly on greasy winter roads but the Grip are rock solid.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #106 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:22:34 pm »
Am i the only person who wears out most tyres they own without ever reaching the limit of adhesion?

[And when I do it's usually only when climbing a 1:7 on wet leaves]

I'm simply not in a position to judge a tyre's "grip" - I just know they must vary!

[EDIT: my only falls have been on ice! Not a fair test of rubber, I think.
 EDIT2: locked up the rear in the wet quite often, but I think that's easy even with grippy tyres]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #107 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:50:03 pm »
I have exceeded the limit of adhesion on wet or dirty tarmac, otherwise I too am not in a position to judge a tyre's grip.  That's doesn't stop me asking KidJambo to give us as much grip as reasonably possible.  One becomes paranoid after one has broken one's hip!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

David Martin

« Reply #108 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:53:20 pm »
It isn't the feeling of sliding. There is a certain sensation in the wet where you feel 'uh oh' and want to back off as you get this really uncertain vibe.

..d

« Reply #109 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:57:12 pm »
I've spun a rear wheel moving off from traffic lights. Wet bricks.

What about braking? Must be pretty common to hit the limit when braking on wet roads.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

border-rider

« Reply #110 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:59:44 pm »
I can lock the back wheel through leg-braking on a gravelly dry road, and I can spin a (skinny) tyre on a damp hill climb. Except for ice and wet metalwork, though, I've never had a problem with the front.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #111 on: 09 March, 2010, 01:00:13 pm »
Am i the only person who wears out most tyres they own without ever reaching the limit of adhesion?

[And when I do it's usually only when climbing a 1:7 on wet leaves]

I'm simply not in a position to judge a tyre's "grip" - I just know they must vary!

[EDIT: my only falls have been on ice! Not a fair test of rubber, I think.]
I'm with you on this, Matt. The only times I've felt the wheels of my road bike to slide have been on slippy surfaces, such as leaves, ice and manhole covers. I also find it difficult to tell the difference between the feel of one tyre over another, or I just don't pay enough attention to this these things.

It isn't the feeling of sliding. There is a certain sensation in the wet where you feel 'uh oh' and want to back off as you get this really uncertain vibe.

..d
You just need bigger cajones ;).  Yes, I do back off when the roads are wet but I've no idea whether I back off a lower speed when using a tyre that's said to be less grippy.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

inc

« Reply #112 on: 09 March, 2010, 01:37:26 pm »

I would think that would apply to most cyclist if you mean falling because of a lack of grip. The Pro 3 does seem to have more grip to me. I live at the top of a IKm climb the average gradient is 10% but there is a section at 22% The hill is on a North facing slope ( no Sun a lot of the year) it is a sunken single track lane and wet a lot of the year it is almost imposable not to get some wheelspin on the steepest section with any tyre I have used except the Pro3 but the rear only last 3000km. I can't say I have noticed any difference in grip anywhere else.

« Reply #113 on: 09 March, 2010, 05:59:01 pm »

..d

I know what you mean.

I read the comments here abot Krylion Carbons and wonder if I'm riding the same tyres?  You don't need solid tyres, my 25c Carbons feel like old rubber pram wheels.  I've tried higher and lower ends of the pressure spectrum too.  Find them just unfeeling, hard and slippy in the wet.

I'll put them on later - they certainly have a much heavier sidewall than my other recent tyres which fits with your comments. Tomorrow will reveal all...

« Reply #114 on: 09 March, 2010, 11:43:08 pm »

? I fitted one to the front on the weekend. First ride this morning.

Can't say I found it unfeeling. Definitely not slippery. I'd say the grip was very good. It was a 25mm, replacing a 28mm GP4seasons.

What pressures are you using, FF?

95F/100Rear on Sunday, previously 90F/95R.  I weigh 90kg and tend to ride over the back wheel.  Talking of wheels, they're CXP22s on Ultegra hubs.

« Reply #115 on: 10 March, 2010, 12:07:46 pm »
Can't say I found it unfeeling. Definitely not slippery. I'd say the grip was very good. It was a 25mm, replacing a 28mm GP4seasons

First short ride on Krylions this moring - initial impressions are that they are a smoother, slightly faster ride than GP4S. Better vibration absorption. I quite like them so far  :)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #116 on: 10 March, 2010, 12:08:01 pm »
I have slid both wheels sideways taking a corner too fast on Exmoor in the dry
I ended up on the wrong side of the road but there was nothing coming
That was with Panaracer Pasellas
Strangely, since I broke my collar bone I haven't done anything like this again  ;D

I haven't tried Pro Race 3 Grip but the cornering traction on normal Pro Race 2 and 3 is really good.

David Martin

« Reply #117 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:47:08 pm »
This is a rather worn Pro3 Grip.

as is this

I'll see how the Kyrillion Carbon goes tomorrow.

« Reply #118 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:50:17 pm »
I'm amazed you were able to ride that without constant visits.

The Krylion - I'm certainly happy with how they ride in the dry. They are not as lively as the Pro3 of course but still pretty good. A Krylion on the back and a Pro3 or Pro3 Grip on the front would work well methinks.

David Martin

« Reply #119 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:09:31 pm »
So am I. Typically visits tend to be broken glass in town. We are on granite/sandstone (mostly sandstone) so there are few flints to worry about.
Bit sheepish that I hadn't noticed under the usual layer of skog.

KidJambo

• Ex-sales manager for Michelin bicycle tyres
    • Michelin Tyres
« Reply #120 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:25:00 am »
Can't see the point of tubeless myself for non-pro road use. It's hard enough fixing a p*ncture in a normal tubed tyre when I'm soaked and freezing cold cycling in the back of beyond, but going to something that has to have a proper seal between tyre and rim to inflate - I dont think so  :hand:

Is everyone aware that Michelin are going back into the tub market later this year?
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

« Reply #121 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:26:59 am »
What advantage does tubeless have over tubs?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

« Reply #122 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:32:31 am »

Is everyone aware that Michelin are going back into the tub market later this year?

No. I need a couple of fast tubs at a reasonable price.

Links?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #123 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:37:58 am »
Interesting.  Why is that, KJ?  Is the market growing again?
Getting there...

KidJambo

• Ex-sales manager for Michelin bicycle tyres
    • Michelin Tyres
« Reply #124 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:58:07 am »

No. I need a couple of fast tubs at a reasonable price.

Links?

No price set yet but think mid-range so probably akin to the Pro3 clincher - should be available from about June (fingers crossed)
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!