Author Topic: Random online quizzes  (Read 5869 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Random online quizzes
« Reply #25 on: 02 October, 2023, 10:55:35 pm »
Having signed up to an OU course, I'm automatically a member of the OU Students' Association.

And I've joined their chess club.

Tonight they had a start of term quiz related to chess trivia. Modesty forbids me from saying who won, but I could remember stuff from years ago which would have been long before most of the students' parents were born. One question involved a specific flavour of yogurt...

I was crap at anything recent though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #26 on: 28 December, 2023, 11:41:35 am »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #27 on: 28 December, 2023, 11:42:24 am »
Having signed up to an OU course, I'm automatically a member of the OU Students' Association.

Tonight they had a start of term quiz related to chess trivia. Modesty forbids me from saying who won, but I could remember stuff from years ago which would have been long before most of the students' parents were born. One question involved a specific flavour of yogurt...

They had another quiz just before Christmas. I won that too.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #28 on: 28 December, 2023, 11:06:03 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/dec/26/sport-quiz-of-the-year-test-your-knowledge-of-2023

22/60

There were just too many questions about activities that are not real sports: golf, motor racing, and stuff that is only played by USAninans.  :demon:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #29 on: 13 January, 2024, 11:19:29 am »

They had another quiz just before Christmas. I won that too.

Not really a quiz, but what's termed an "Arena". It's a 90 minute tournament organised on chess.com. Last night's was a chess variant I've never played before - "3 Checks Chess". Basically, if you get your opponent in check 3 times, you've won.

It was a lot of light-hearted nonsense. But I'm sorry to say that my fellow students at the OUSA chess club are pretty crap at chess. I completed 19 games last evening within the allotted 90 minutes and won the lot. There were 7 of us all told. I scored more than twice as many points as the player in second place.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30 on: 18 January, 2024, 02:17:00 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/jan/18/the-guardian-thursday-quiz-general-knowledge-topical-news-trivia-143

7/15 for me. I have been aware for some time of the existence of someone called Taylor Swift, but knew little to nothing about them until recently, when I found out that they were female. Now I have answered correctly a question about them on the Thursday Quiz. Go Me!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #32 on: 01 April, 2024, 11:46:19 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2024/apr/01/april-fools-day-news-quiz

Grauniad quiz on April Fools. Quite amusing. 13/20 for me.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #33 on: 23 April, 2024, 11:23:58 pm »
A quiz on 1984.

https://www.theguardian.com/two-plus-two-equals/2024/apr/03/how-well-do-you-know-orwells-1984-take-the-quiz-to-find-out

7/10 for me, although that was really 7/9, because one of the questions was nothing to do with the book, but a film (of which I had never heard) made years later and purportedly based on the book.