Author Topic: How well do you know the London underground?  (Read 3366 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: How well do you know the London underground?
« Reply #25 on: 24 October, 2023, 11:50:10 am »
It came as a surprise to me to find that the Overground is managed by Arriva and not TfL

Yes, Overground, Elizabeth line, DLR and Trams are all operated day-to-day by third parties - though TfL is responsible for timetables, fares etc. All the Underground is under TfL's total control.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 24 October, 2023, 12:28:34 pm »
Interesting. Before the Elizabeth line was officially opened, there has always been a shuttle service between Shenfield & Liverpool Street, stopping at all stations. I think it went through the usual gamut of failing private sector operators until, quite a few years ago, it seemed to have been adopted by TfL. I'm not sure that they owned it per se, but it didn't have anyone else's branding immediately obvious to the casual observer (me). Has that changed with the official opening?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

« Reply #27 on: 24 October, 2023, 12:40:04 pm »
Interesting. Before the Elizabeth line was officially opened, there has always been a shuttle service between Shenfield & Liverpool Street, stopping at all stations. I think it went through the usual gamut of failing private sector operators until, quite a few years ago, it seemed to have been adopted by TfL. I'm not sure that they owned it per se, but it didn't have anyone else's branding immediately obvious to the casual observer (me). Has that changed with the official opening?

Yes, those Shenfield-Liverpool St services along with Paddington-Reading services became "TfL Rail" as part of the Crossrail project, operated by MTR, who now operate the Elizabeth line. TfL Rail ceased to exist with the launch of the Elizabeth line.

A lot of the purpose of TfL is not to "own" these services but to ensure they are all properly integrated as part of a joined-up transport network, hence all control of fares, timetables etc stays with TfL. A lot of the infrastructure that the Overground and EL run on is under Network Rail's control while the stations are managed by the operating companies.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #28 on: 25 November, 2023, 08:08:24 am »
An alternative test https://metrodle.com/

citoyen

How well do you know the London underground?
« Reply #29 on: 25 November, 2023, 12:06:59 pm »
An alternative test https://metrodle.com/

Oh, that’s fun! :thumbsup:

Metrodle #545
🟩
1/6
#metrodle https://metrodle.com/

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #30 on: 25 November, 2023, 12:58:16 pm »
Well, that was quick. One guess - and it really was a guess.
Metrodle #545
🟩 🎯
1/6
#metrodle
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #31 on: 25 November, 2023, 02:21:04 pm »
Metrodle #545
⬛ 14 stops away
🟩 1 stop away
🟩 🚇
3/6
#metrodle
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #32 on: 27 November, 2023, 07:14:55 pm »
I can get quite a lot in one. I do not cheat, I find it an interesting challenge to try to visualise the map.

citoyen

« Reply #33 on: 27 November, 2023, 07:48:40 pm »
I can get quite a lot in one. I do not cheat, I find it an interesting challenge to try to visualise the map.

I got today's in two - first guess was on the right line but three stops away. I have a good visual idea of the overall shape of the map so can pick the right area quite easily but specific stations often involve a bit of guesswork - especially in north and west London.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #34 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:07:37 am »
Monthly leaderboard #1 that's a first for me.

« Reply #35 on: 02 December, 2023, 03:53:02 pm »
Just done this again with a result of 70.1%.
Mind the gap.

« Reply #36 on: 02 December, 2023, 09:24:56 pm »
Currently at 66% but slowing off a lot now.  Big gaps remain in the west (which I shouldn’t really know having always been north east of London) and also in the DLR station names around the docks ( which I really should know having always been north east of London).  Annoyingly I can picture where a lot of the DLR stations are on the ground, but can’t remember names at the moment.