Author Topic: IOW Randonnee 4th May  (Read 25611 times)

Re: IOW Randonnee 4th May
« Reply #25 on: 04 May, 2008, 10:37:06 pm »
Just got home, fantastic day out - very well organised etc, and the weather held out until right near the end :)

Saw somebody in ACF kit at Kite Hill in the morning, but was not quite awake enough to introduce myself as somebody from the internet  ;D

Edited to add: Exceptional driving from pretty much every motorist who passed us, they all waited patiently until it was safe to pass, gave plenty of room etc - made a nice change ;D

Martin

« Reply #26 on: 04 May, 2008, 10:45:17 pm »
Fantastic day indeed; saw a few acf shirts (a couple outside a pub near Brighstone); the route was easier clockwise but only a bit; and the view from Blackgang across to Freshwater Bay and Tennyson Down was incomparable. Re-hydrated in 'spoons in Ryde and then got the train back up the pier to avoid our wheels getting eaten. Surreal moment of the day was provided by a cattle jam in the road near Chale.

Top Day; best 1 day ride in the SE  :thumbsup: and Chapeau to Matt for managing 85km (extended the 55 as it was a bit flat) on his first serious ride for years.

Arthur

« Reply #27 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:14:02 am »
Another satisfied customer here. It's a cracking ride, and the weather this year made for a perfect day out. The climbs don't seem as hard going round clockwise, and we got lucky with our timing, arriving at the chain ferry just seconds before it left (I remember waiting ages to get on last year). I've even got this year's 'cyclist suntan' started off.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #28 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:47:25 am »
Fantastic day indeed; saw a few acf shirts (a couple outside a pub near Brighstone);

That may have been Hummers Junior and Fatbloke if it was the Sun Inn, Hulverstone.

Top day, weather better than expected and great company. Hats off to all who did the ride for the first time.

H

Martin

« Reply #29 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:34:13 am »
Fantastic day indeed; saw a few acf shirts (a couple outside a pub near Brighstone);

That may have been Hummers Junior and Fatbloke if it was the Sun Inn, Hulverstone.

that'll be it; was hanging on for grim death behind clubmate Paul and The Flying Frenchman on his Litespeed at the time. Brook Down was super scary looking from the Military Road, and I was having issues with the compact chainset (ie pretending to be too macho to actually use it)

« Reply #30 on: 05 May, 2008, 01:08:18 pm »
As others have said, the forecasters (thankfully) called it wrong. Just a bit of drizzle on the ferry home but otherwise fine & dry.

I had an exhilarating ride to the start through the forest as the day was dawning. I would have taken advantage of the 2-for-1 at Lymington but I was the only foot passenger on the 6.45 ferry...

Arrived in Yarmouth to see just one person starting to set up stall at the school so I didn't bother him. I set off on the route to Cowes. All was quiet and peaceful and I enjoyed the Newtown diversion. I arrived just in time to catch the chain ferry and made it to Kite Hill for about 9am, in time for my planned rendezvous with Postie et al, rolling in from the 8.30 Portsmouth ferry.

Before long we had made it to Bembridge and the excellent school control (make the most of the IoW primary schools while the're still around  >:( ). The tailwind took hold to speed us over to Wroxhall and the lovely quiet lane to skirt to Ventnor with fine views of the surrounding downs.

The climb to Blackgang was wind assisted the the view from the top and the subsequent descent absolutely fantastic. Again fast progress in the lanes before the final two climbs from Brook up and over to the descent into Freshwater...again both the view and descent out of this world.

Made it back to Yarmouth in time to wait an inordinate amount of time for a delayed ferry. Then made my way home through the forest once more, back home just after six o'clock, happy and tired after 125 miles. Slept for twelve hours last night, can't imagine why.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Martin

« Reply #31 on: 05 May, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »
I saw a couple of other Vectis riders; as well as quite a few New Forest and Axiom (not sure where they hail from);

that's the beauty of the event, you get groups of club riders out for a blast and also familes out on tag- alongs and older people on their immaculate 80s Mixte framed racers, everyone gets round and everyone enjoys it

out of interest is the Wayfarer an official CTC DA? jolly nice bunch of people whatever.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #32 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:50:42 pm »
I've mapped the route on Gmap, if anyone cares.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Hummers

« Reply #33 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:31:15 pm »

Fattersbejaundiced, I have found a way of activating Hummers Junior's rear disk brake by remote control.

Worth knowing for next time.  ;)

H

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #34 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:38:46 pm »
Hummers is a BAD MAN!

Thanks to the after-effects of a Hummers-influenced evening, Vern and I opted to do the 55k route.  ;)

The weather was lovely and we were round in good time - although this meant we had longer to wait in the pub before all the rest turned up.   :-\  But we were both restrained, unlike some who has a 3 hour and five pint lunch.

I may even be mad enough to do this again next year... but only if someone irons the Isle before hand.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Hummers

« Reply #35 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:40:46 pm »
Hummers is a BAD MAN!

Thanks to the after-effects of a Hummers-influenced evening, Vern and I opted to do the 55k route.  ;)

A poor, poor excuse if you ask me, laddie.

You should have followed my example and exercised some self control.

H

Regulator

« Reply #36 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:43:31 pm »
Hummers is a BAD MAN!

A poor, poor excuse if you ask me, laddie.

You should have followed my example and exercised some self control.

H

My self control was overextended trying to resist the charms of Hummer Mini and Hummers Micro.... :P

Green Party Councillor

Hummers

« Reply #37 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:52:21 pm »
My self control was overextended wisely trying to resist the charms of Hummer Mini and Hummers Micro.... :P

Indeed.

H

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #38 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:54:51 pm »
A somewhat fruitless exercise I fear!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Regulator

« Reply #39 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:11:47 pm »
My self control was overextended wisely trying to resist the charms of Hummer Mini and Hummers Micro.... :P

Indeed.

H

;D

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #40 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:47:48 pm »
Thanks to everyone for a great ride.
Arrived in Pompey on the Satruday, and scared myself silly in the Spinnaker Tower looking downwards. Late arrival at the pub, made up for it by a superb meal in the India Arms next door.
Next day only the 55km ride (wimp, wimp) but I was damn glad of it. Those hills are killers.

Congrats to Tony on reaching a milestone, and commiserations on the three legged cat reaching the end of his life. Tony, you looked after the feller for ages and it was his time to go.

Less cheerful thoughts to the b****** on the Cowes Chain Ferry. Young lad drops his very nice Cannondale on the deck, scraping the bar tape. Cue Mr Bombastic getting out of his Renault to inspect the "damage" in full beer-belly forwards mode.
I wouldn't stand for him bullying a young lad, so said "The lads bike didn;t touch your car". Cue exchange of "get some glasses" "Get Lost".
He's rather lucky not to have some genuine Glaswegian unleashed on him.

Similar incident on the Fishbourned ferry home - motorist stops after unloading ramp for very obvious search around car for damage, watched  by YACF posse. I gather Versons bike fell over somewhere on the same vessel.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #41 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:45:04 pm »
I had to take a circuitous route to Pompey, so up to Clarm Junction and onto the Pompey milk train, only to be abused by some bloke I'd seen in Malta.
Greg and I rode down, and "got off at Fratton" for the short ride to Aunty Clare's. Hospitality was immense, followed by a walk out to the Hole in The Wall, whsre sossidgis were consumed. We were soon joined by Fatters and the Hummers posse, Scum and co, and Spesh put in an appearance. Once he noticed that Regulator was salivating, he made his excuses and left, but Mini and Micro H stayed the course.
No, not that way. Hummerella had made the sensible decision to emigrate. Or something.
Beer was drunk, followed by more beer, and we eventually made our way home.
I was completely disorientated when awaoken by Vern, and despite lashings of tea the two boys were not in the mood to catch the 0730 ferry, so 0830 it was. Cunobelin joined us at the boat, and jolly japes continued acros the water.
We spun lethargically out to the Kite Hill checkpoint and joined the queue. As Reg and Vern were opting for the 55, I was almost tempted, but knew I would regret a lost opportunity if I did. 100 it was, and Clare followed suit. We worked our way out of the site, seeing a spectacular clipless moment, and set off.
I almost immediately found out two things: I was indeed hungover rather badly, and a race cassette is not a good choice for the IoW. The 24" gear was employed.
I wallowed round to Bembridge, knowing that time was at a premium because we had started an hour late, and I also knew I would be grovelling in my present state. As usual, my downhills were restrained only by the lighter slower people ahead of me, and I arrived nicely at Bembridge in time to catch up with Cunobelin and be caught by Clare, Vern and Regulator. The sign had fallen down for the odd detour to the school, and when I arrived a Wayfarer was standing holding it. Nice!!
After a quick cuppa and a nanananananana I set off, leaving the others. The nana wasn't sitting well, and I ground my way round to Alverstone, the next stop and the parting of ways of the 55 and 100. A quick drink of squash, and off again. By now, the Island's character was asserting itself, and the ground was getting lumpier. Lots of little rises, lots of narrow, narrow lanes, and finally I got to Whitwell, after the odd turn along the edge of the steep slopes above Ventnor and the even odder swing right at the Spar.
The wind was a gentle sort-of-tail wind, and it was overcast but warm. I was now feeling good, and managing to climb with mtb riders who were spinning twice my cadence. At Whitwell, I had met up with Cunobelin and friends yet again, and Clare caught me up as I had an oaty bar and a cuppa. I just wasn't up to eating.
On the flat I was leaving Clare, who was catching me on the ups and being left on the downs. We were playing the old randonnee game of repeated overtaking and being overtaken by various folk, and soon hit Niton, the start of one of my dreaded climbs, the highest point of the whole route. I settled down for a real struggle up to St Catherine's.
Er....was that it? I fairly (for me) flew up, and cranked hard over for the right hand, left hand, oh-shit-roundabout right hand and free fall plummet into Blackgang. I knew I had some serious time to make up, so I had left Clare and got into the groove along the Military Road, ignoring the traffic-free bit inland. I was in the big ring, head down, mouth open, doing between 15 and 25mph at a good cadence, but feeling apprehensive about a number of things, one being the approaching double climb before Freshwater Bay, which is a Bastard. Another was the sheer volume of traffic clearly heading for the fleshpots of Alum Bay. As I went along, Hummers was texting. He had already hit the Sun Inn in Hulverstone, and as I hit the first Bastard Hill of Freshwater told me they had just left.
I grovelled both hills, the micro-climate of Westerlies in full effect, and was in 24" when the shout came from behind me: "Gordon's alive!", as was Fatters. We stopped for a chat, and I heard of a three-hour, five-pint "meal break". The rest of the peloton caught up, and so did Clare. As we chatted, a tandem passed us, the captain wearing nothing but a skimpy pair of running shorts and spd sandals.....
We crested the hill and had the joy of the severely quick descent, and I took my alternative route to avoid the biker/petrolhead horrors of Alum Bay, in exchange for a gravel bridleway.
Into Yarmouth, round to the school, and they still had food, plenty of it. The boys were outside, but I decided that I wanted a proper break, the first of the ride after more than 40 miles. Clare soon joined me, and we fed and relaxed for a bit till time caught us up. As we went out, one of my regular "overtakees" came in, with dripping arms. Yes, it was raining. On went our outers, and Clare and I set off out of Yarmouth and off the main road for the cycle route, and into a freshening Easterly. Yes, really. Clare passed me after a while, and then pulled away as my lack of feeding started to tell, which is the excuse I will stick to. Cowes got no nearer, then suddenly I was there, time-critical, and the chain ferry was leaving. I stood and waited, and finally hit the Red Funnel car park and another control, and where I bought a badge.
Now I had Whippingham Bastard Hill, and after that I decided to ignore the back roads and follow the main road round. A 40mph descent took me down to a roundabout, left and off to Wootton Bridge. More grovelling, and another swoop'n'up to the Kite Hill. A quick text to Hummers, and down to the pub. I was absolutely shattered.
We had a very few beers, with Scum, Mrs Scum and Cunobelin in attendance along with the Hummers Posse, and then realised the ferry times. Mrs Scum set off to the boat, quickly followed by myself, and the other reprobates just made it. We settled into our seats, the ferry pulled out, and I realised I had forgotten to pay my bar tab....
I was able to sort that out by phone, thankfully, and we stretched our legs after welcome showers to a nearby pub for a wind-down.
Not a bad 50th birthday. My total distance only came to 75 miles, but an awful lot of that was scenery. As usual, the Wayfarers did a fantastic job of running the event, and it is something I will have to do again.
Maybe my 60th?

« Reply #42 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:53:22 pm »
Great report, TT,  ;D, and many happy returns. Sounds like great fun, wish I'd been there.

« Reply #43 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:16:50 pm »
It was a lovely day to be out on the bikes, and added to the rather nice cyclists tan I acquired on last week's Denmead 300.

We were camping very close to Alverstone; 3.5km from the control and the first bit of the ride from the campsite was entirely downhill, then the last 2.5k along the completely flat NCN23 route (that the 55k ride would take) - a nice, very gentle warm up before we started climbing hills.

The only ACF-er that we saw was Fatbloke, though I did keep an eye out on the way around.

It was a very nicely organised ride, with plenty of good cheap food at Yarmouth, though by the time we got to Bembridge the table was almost bare (albeit late on at just before 5pm). It was also a bit of a disappointment to Adam that they had run out of badges at Alverstone when we arrived; they did take payment and promised to post one to him.

I have to say that I'm very impressed with Adam's ride. He climbed every hill without complaint, stopping or walking (except one; we were getting towards the top of Hunnyhill(?) and he asked if we could have a drink at the top - as a bench approached I told him to stop there and we were munching on a banana as Fatbloke passed). The big reason for being impressed is that this was Adam's first 100K (his previous longest ride was 77K), and he was 11 only a month ago. I'd wanted his first 100K to be fairly easy, and for this one my wife was around with the car to act as a sag waggon if needed so with the extended time limit it seemed ideal. Unfortunately I'd forgotten how hilly the IoW is. Ooops   ::-)

Based on his performance, it won't be long now until he is waiting at the top of hills berating his old dad for being too slow...

You may have seen us on the way round; he was on his new Islabikes Luath 700, I had his skull and crossbones BMX helmet strapped to the top of my Carradice as it was too hot for him to wear it.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #44 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:18:54 pm »
I wasn't ACFing, I was Foska Walesing, jersey wise.

Martin

« Reply #45 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:23:57 pm »
I wasn't ACFing, I was Foska Walesing, jersey wise.

I think I passed you near Wroxhall (I was the fatter rider in the EGCC kit frantically chasing the lither fitter one who's finally found someone with his mountain goat abilities)

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #46 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:29:53 pm »
Similar incident on the Fishbourned ferry home - motorist stops after unloading ramp for very obvious search around car for damage, watched  by YACF posse. I gather Versons bike fell over somewhere on the same vessel.

Yes indeed, Vern's bike tipped over and landed 6 inches from the car, the driver opened her door to see what had happened and I reassured her that the bike hadn't touched her car (a fact that was clearly obvious from where the bike was lying), she looked at me then closed her door, spoke to her passenger then opened her door, leaned out further and looked harder at the site. It was at about this point that I noticed the rather post shaped dent and horizontal scrapes on the rear wing. I seriously considered gatting my camera out, but at that point we started disembarking.
As we walked off the ferry we noticed the car pulled over at the top of the ramp and the passenger looking closely at the rear wing. I was quite looking forward to the possibility of a discussion regarding the damage patterns of falling objects compared to those caused by reversing into things. Sadly it wasn't to be, the passenger got back into the car and they drove away.

Something tells me they were looking for a way to get previous damage corrected without having to pay for it.

Martin

« Reply #47 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:38:50 pm »
the best reason for not having a bridge over from the mainland is the plainly much lower traffic levels on the Island (customised Honda 70s notwithstanding, they are cute in a silly way though)

It's just a shame that a large proportion of the vehicles that are there are of the "Oi mate yer wheels 'r goin' raand" variety.

« Reply #48 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:44:52 pm »

Did anyone else click that link to Gmaps and find the route plus an advert for:
http://www.fatloss4idiots.com/?hop=roeib&tc=123&ov=1342375941&gg=1062766562

(Barry - I have already started running. And 10 rules for losing belly fat are definitely needed by me).

« Reply #49 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:17:23 am »
Did anyone else on the ride see the bloke dressed as a French onion seller, on the genuine onion-sellers bike - the one you pedal backwards for low gear?
He had the PBP number on the frame, and I remember reading about him on Cycling Plus.
Respect.