Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625010 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #17450 on: 26 April, 2024, 06:50:43 pm »
Phone rings.
Them: Oh hi ma'am, this Simon from O2
Me: O rly, I suppose you're here to offer me 40% discount are you?

I must have had 4 or 5 of the same scam calls in the last fornight
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #17451 on: 28 April, 2024, 06:24:38 am »
I knew it was a thing, but yesterday was the first time I'd seen someone hoovering their Shit Lawn (plastic). Ghastly stuff.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17452 on: 28 April, 2024, 09:02:31 am »
I knew it was a thing, but yesterday was the first time I'd seen someone hoovering their Shit Lawn (plastic). Ghastly stuff.

Yesterday, being a Saturday, I saw not a few people down on their knees by the gutter, scraping out the crack between kerb and pavement with a miniature scraping implement. Because today, of course, is Sunday.

Alsace does retain a lot of Germanic habits. Or maybe just manic.  Having spent my formative years in French France, I couldn't be arsed.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #17453 on: 28 April, 2024, 09:58:07 am »
I rather think you're right...
Well, new tube acquired and fitted. No obvious reason for the puncture found. It was a sidewall job, so probably acquired down a bridleway I use. It has rather shattered my faith in Slime tubes though, as it wasn't a large hole. Bearing Kim's point, I've kept the valve gunk-free and will have a spare tube now. However, puncture patches located, but can I find the glue? No.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #17454 on: 28 April, 2024, 10:04:28 am »

Yesterday, being a Saturday, I saw not a few people down on their knees by the gutter, scraping out the crack between kerb and pavement with a miniature scraping implement. Because today, of course, is Sunday.

Alsace does retain a lot of Germanic habits. Or maybe just manic.  Having spent my formative years in French France, I couldn't be arsed.

Pingu did a whole pile of that on the path outside the sheds at the previous Pingu Towers before we sold it. Not a fun job.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17455 on: 28 April, 2024, 11:23:29 am »
Meanwhile, I haz been (I, haz-been, not (quite)) changing the stem on the ex-eBrute. Dead easy: you hold the bike in one hand, while offering up the bars to the stem with the other hand, holding the little clamping plate on the bars with the other other hand and inserting the screws with the other other other hand.  Dead easy for octopussies or Hindu dieties.

The reason for changing the stem is to put the short ex-eBrute one on the Trek, so now I'm looking forward to the same low jinks this pm, only in soot black.

Still, I can get back to HHGTTG on CD again (workshop hi-fi is vintage 1982).  The Party is just about to break up.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #17456 on: 28 April, 2024, 02:14:41 pm »
Hi LNER, thanks for the helpful message telling me the second leg of my journey will be on time from platform 12 at Euston.

Unfortunately that's bugger all use as the first leg of the journey is delayed by 37 minutes, and I know you know this cos you've sent me about 37 messages about the delay. So although the original 40 minutes allocated for the connection was a bit OTT, I'm pretty sure I can't get from King's Cross to Euston in three minutes. Even on a Brompton.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17457 on: 28 April, 2024, 02:48:20 pm »
This merits a custodial sentence for the good of society. Or possibly being fed to ravens.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17458 on: 28 April, 2024, 06:39:40 pm »
AV amplifier: switching the distascope OFF is not a signal to switch yourself ON.  Please cease the trait.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #17459 on: 29 April, 2024, 08:39:38 am »
Not just barakta who missed this one then.  It's actually "See it. Say it. Sorted."

I was on a train/station last week that had "See it, say it and we'll get it sorted." Northern I think.

Possibly just a localised outbreak of resistance against the upper stupidity of the original.

« Reply #17460 on: 29 April, 2024, 08:51:23 am »
This merits a custodial sentence for the good of society. Or possibly being fed to ravens.

If you don't vacuum your plastic shite, then wind-blown soil builds up, stuff starts growing through the plastic, and you have an absolute nightmare.

Bloody stuff should be banned.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17461 on: 29 April, 2024, 10:41:28 am »
If you have plants growing through your plastic "lawn", does it become an actual lawn?

Ob: S&A. If the GA says the only thing worse than daisies in a lawn is tent pegs, how would she react to plastic "grass"?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #17462 on: 29 April, 2024, 07:39:54 pm »
Apparently plastic grass is INCREDIBLY burny... My fire engineer friend discovered this recently.