Author Topic: How messed up is your post at the moment?  (Read 16689 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
How messed up is your post at the moment?
« on: 09 May, 2020, 02:46:34 pm »
I get no deliveries for a couple of days, then the backlog.  First class sometimes takes days longer than second class.  Postman has, a couple of times, done half the street then knocked off.  Yet the odd 2nd class parcel has arrived the day after posting.

I suspect there are a lot of staff off work, a huge backlog in the sorting office, and they're grabbing what they can, not necessarily in date order.

Hermes, in contrast, seems totally normal.  Probably a consequence of ZHC and no sick pay  :-\
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: How messed up is your post at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:02:02 pm »
We seem to get ours every other day. We’ve also just moved and are getting stuff redirected with varying degrees of success; one piece took a month to get from HMRC to the new address, other items were sent to somebody else! Coincidentally they went to friend who’d also recently left the same village and was able to reforward them.

« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:20:21 pm »
Small town SW Midlands, post seems to be absolutely as usual.

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:50:45 pm »
Rural village in Bucks, just the same. Plus postie is loving it, the lack of traffic makes his round much quicker he told us. And not just post,  but bins and recycling have been unaffected, and green waste collection restarts next week after a month break.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:51:44 pm »
So-so.  Probably depends where it is coming from.

At least people are most likely at home when stuff arrives.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:56:23 pm »
Seems to be fine here.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:57:51 pm »
27th April: Ordered a kilo of coffee from my usual roaster, to be delivered to my daughter in Strasbourg.  Colissimo site showed "in transit" for a week, then "site maintenance", then "delivered 30 April". Daughter never got it. Could be that postie didn't want to touch the bell-push and left it in the hallway (block of flats) to be pinched by some guttersnipe.

It's been OK around here, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2020, 04:06:00 pm »
Our post is slower than usual. Also it is sitting on the recycle bins in the lobby for a few days before we open it  :)

I spoke to a postie yesterday. They are in the process of stopping delivering letters on a Saturday. However this won't mean they won't work on a Saturday, as they will still be delivering parcels. And parcels at the moment are so numerous that they are busier than normal.

Oh, and it is very hard to have proper social distancing in a sorting office, he said.
It is simpler than it looks.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2020, 04:13:31 pm »
Pretty much as usual.  Haven't had Saturday deliveries for a while, but that's no hardship for us.

A lovely bonus is that we don't get reams of junk mail.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2020, 04:25:23 pm »
Variable both with normal stuff and stuff redirected from the house we moved from in February - some is immediate, some 6 or 7 days.

Slightly annoying today in that I got an email from RM say a tracked package would be delivered today - it wasn't (it's now 1620) - it's a special router cutter I need to cut some timber for shelves I'm making.

As said Hermes, DPD and Amazon seem to be ahead of time on most of our deliveries.

Rob

« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2020, 04:35:44 pm »
Rural Village North Aberdeenshire, our postie's hours have changed so we get our mail after 16:30hrs. Junk mail vastly reduced. Magazines several days later. 
The posties are great here, all nice cheery folk and willing to chat to Mrs Hbunnet.

The couriers are snowed under with parcels.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2020, 04:48:17 pm »

I think someone at Royal Mail ate my mini eggs.

A friend kindly posted me some mini eggs for easter, only they haven't turned up yet.

Stuff from china is arriving in either 8-10 days, or it's taking nearly 40. I'm getting approximately 1.5 deliveries a week of ordinary mail.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2020, 05:09:17 pm »
Fine in YO17
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 09 May, 2020, 05:43:32 pm »
I'm getting stuff from China that was ordered back in February.  Where tracking is available, it shows a fair chunk of the delay is at the UK end.

A piece of computer hardware posted in Northampton has been AWOL for about 5 weeks now.  A parcel from Sussex took three weeks.  But I got a second class parcel from Bristol in two days.

Letters seems less bad.  Stuff from HMRC seems to take about a week, which is normal for HMRC.  Random postcards from barakta's mum seems to take a few days.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #14 on: 09 May, 2020, 06:02:02 pm »
Ordered some stuff from Greece.  According to the tracker, it was 13 days from 'ready to depart for the UK' to 'forwarded to local distribution centre', with no updates between those two points.  But it was nothing urgent, so can't really complain.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 09 May, 2020, 06:04:45 pm »
Not much change from normal in YO16

Some stuff I have ordered on eBay has taken three or four days to arrive - nothing unusual there.
Amazon is  taking a bit longer than usual two or three days for Prime stuff.
Nothing taking longer than a week.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2020, 06:58:18 pm »
Normal post no real change
Amazon, ordered some books on Thursday, delivered today.

It's the odd deliveries that seem more variable; coffee hand delivered from the roaster same day as ordered, local garden centre took three days to call to confirm order and price, delivered next day.  Bonsai stuff that I'd expect in 3-4 days quoting a two-week turnaround, seems everyone is spending more time looking after their trees.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2020, 07:01:27 pm »
Small packet post from the US is extremely slow. Tracking shows that the items spend much more time than usual moving between hubs in the States.

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 09 May, 2020, 07:10:21 pm »
Small packet post from the US is extremely slow. Tracking shows that the items spend much more time than usual moving between hubs in the States.

Thanks for that. I've been expecting something from the States for a while. I'll not write off the $150 just yet then.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 09 May, 2020, 07:18:04 pm »
I've heard anecdotally that the problem is not with deliveries but that sorting offices are short-staffed, apparently because of staff having to stay at home to look after kids. I'm not sure why sorting offices should be particularly attractive to parents of school age kids but it's possible.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 09 May, 2020, 07:29:20 pm »
A parcel from Sussex took three weeks.

Annoyingly, I've just examined the contents and discovered that it's a thing that you use in pairs but was sold singly.  D'oh.

« Reply #21 on: 09 May, 2020, 08:33:13 pm »

Thanks for that. I've been expecting something from the States for a while. I'll not write off the $150 just yet then.

The last thing took two months. Less aircraft movement I guess?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 09 May, 2020, 09:25:00 pm »
Difficult to say. Probably crap right now. Seemed OK week of 27 April - 2 May but we have had NOTHING in the last week. We are expecting Stuffs.

I don't know whether the watch battery I ordered for a princely £1.25 including delivery was coming via Royal Mail otherwise It should have arrived by last Monday but..

I'm disinclined to chase yet.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #23 on: 10 May, 2020, 08:56:33 am »
Give it time - it won't be past its cell-by date.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #24 on: 10 May, 2020, 09:13:10 am »
^^ Bravo Sir ^^