Author Topic: Kittehs excel themselves.  (Read 9656 times)

Kittehs excel themselves.
« on: 18 April, 2010, 04:13:37 pm »
We're used to the odd vole and mouse being brought in to the house as presents but the kittehs distinuguished themselves yesterday by bringing us a rabbit.  Not even a small baby rabbit, but a fair size bunny.  Anne had to call a neighbour to assist with bunny removal and we've been finding grey fur everywhere!

Re: Kittehs excel themselves.
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2010, 04:17:25 pm »
Talisker, my not very big and aging domestic short hair, has been known to catch squirrels and pigeons.

I can't quite equate his success with hunting vs his apparent stupidity most of the rest of the time, but he seems to have a knack.

Luckily he doesn't generally bring this stuff home, so I don't have to deal with the aftermath!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2010, 04:22:37 pm »
My brother's former neighbours moved last year and had an old snooker table out in the shed or garage they wanted rid of. A couple of teenagers bought it and came back a couple of days later with their mum in a van to dismantle it and take it away.
There was some squealing to be heard from the mother at one point. - Apparently all the pockets were stuffed full of dead rabbit and other mammals that their cat had been stashing there.  ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:25:51 pm »
Kafer used to catch rabbits on the allotments, then eat the top half of them on the neighbour's front lawn, mum regularly had to remove the back end of a rabbit from pride of place in Gary's garden before he came home and found it.

« Reply #4 on: 18 April, 2010, 09:42:45 pm »
The best we've had is a pigeon (dead and mostly eaten by the time I found it) under the spare bed. No bunnies near us, I think, though next-door's guinea pigs have been eyed up more than once.  :-[

Kitteh hunting season seems to have begun. We had a nice plump vole delivered today. ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:37:54 pm »
Boris once left the back half of a rabbit on the door step. As it was a pet one I have no idea how he got it out of its hutch. He was a mighty hunter though having brought in a magpie and a budgie  in his time.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #6 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:38:31 pm »
Kitteh hunting season seems to have begun. We had a nice plump vole delivered today. ::-)

Yes, I'd come to that conclusion too, since Talisker is less inclined to eat his breakfast some mornings.  He'll eat any muchies, so it's not that his stomach is off, so I suspect if he's had a successful hunt, he's already full of small crunchy rodent (or similar).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:43:15 pm »

« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:51:47 pm »

Yes, I'd come to that conclusion too, since Talisker is less inclined to eat his breakfast some mornings.  He'll eat any muchies, so it's not that his stomach is off, so I suspect if he's had a successful hunt, he's already full of small crunchy rodent (or similar).

Oh, meeces and voles aren't for eating! Don't be so silly! They're for bringing in unharmed for your humans to be impressed with and to improve their own hunting skills.

Today's vole necessitated removal of the fridge before it deigned to be evicted.  ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2010, 07:10:33 am »
Oh, meeces and voles aren't for eating! Don't be so silly! They're for bringing in unharmed for your humans to be impressed with and to improve their own hunting skills.

Well, Talisker either thinks I don't need training in hunting, or more likely is a little sod who doesn't want to share.

I'm not complaining however, it almost killed me moving the fridge into place.  I do not want to have to chase any meeces behind there!

I remember my Mum having to do that with their old cat, and that fridge was a lot smaller, and still a damned nuisance to shift!

rdaviesb

« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2010, 10:36:16 am »
Wood pigeons are out moggies favourite delicacies. I just wish they would kill them before the they bring them in the house.

« Reply #11 on: 19 April, 2010, 12:14:27 pm »
Our cat had a rabbit yesterday. Proceeded to munch it in the middle of the dining room floor, right in front of my father who was so engrosed in the newspaper he didn't notice.  ::-)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2010, 01:10:00 pm »
Some of you may be familiar with Horse, the cat from Footrot Flats.

When we were in NZ we had a 'Horse' called Fat Cat, who was the scourge of local wildlife.  She once brought us the remains of a small chamois...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13 on: 19 April, 2010, 01:27:06 pm »
My brother's former neighbours moved last year and had an old snooker table out in the shed ......

I really thought you were going to say the cat brought in a snooker table! That would have been some kitteh catch  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #14 on: 19 April, 2010, 01:38:05 pm »
My friends cat once dragged a nice joint of roast beef through the cat flap. Next door had put it on the side to rest one Sunday lunchtime and made the mistake of leaving the kitchen door open :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #15 on: 19 April, 2010, 02:34:24 pm »
My friends cat once dragged a nice joint of roast beef through the cat flap. Next door had put it on the side to rest one Sunday lunchtime and made the mistake of leaving the kitchen door open :)

A friend's cat once managed a roast leg of lamb over a six foot fence as a gift for his hoomins. This was the same cat that delivered a jam roly-poly to my friend's bed in the middle of the night. I keep trying to explain this to my mogs, but all I get are voles.  ::-)

« Reply #16 on: 19 April, 2010, 02:43:49 pm »

I once had a cat who was so bonkers that when he did a similar thing, he came back with a roast spud. Never mind the meat, just get a potato!!

He eventually chewed off his own nipples and died of feline AIDS quite young. Lovely cat, but his obsession with nipples did mean mine got chewed a bit by him in the middle of the night!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:22:44 pm »
I saw my old kitty (dear departed Tabitha) outside our back door late one night, playing with what at first appeared to be a human finger!  :o
On closer inspection it was a raw sausage.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #18 on: 23 April, 2010, 09:38:49 am »
One of our old cats, who has since gone to the great cat-heaven-in-the-sky (ie back garden) once brought in a slice of burnt toast. Fortunately it wasn't savaged too badly and I was able to just drop it in the bin.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

border-rider

« Reply #19 on: 23 April, 2010, 09:43:28 am »
when Mrs MV was growing up in Monmouth, their cat came back one day with a fish longer than his own body.

They guessed he'd nicked it from someone fishing...he never let on as to what the true story was.

As an aside, this cat - Midge - was one of the fiercest I've known. I once saw him chasing Mrs MV's then 18 year old brother down the garden.  The brother was genuinely fleeing in fear, having teased the cat a bit too far :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #20 on: 23 April, 2010, 09:52:28 am »
Mum & Dad's glorious Burmese cat fought hard to get a partridge through the catflap.

Ours brought home an earthworm as his first catch.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #21 on: 04 May, 2010, 01:48:07 pm »
I am at home poorly-ick today (I think my immune system is not used to toddlers). So far, one cat has tried to vomit on the bed, and the other one has been making her "I've caught a mousie!" shouts to try and make me get her jingly ball from under the dresser. When I tired of this, she went and caught a real mousie which she presented to me with a great fuss. I bent down to pick it up and my skirt split open.  :-[ I eventually caught the mousie and got bitten.

I think I'm going back to work. It's more restful.

« Reply #22 on: 04 May, 2010, 02:39:31 pm »
Boris the blade is in the dog cat house at the moment. There is were a lovely pair of Blackbirds nesting in a tree in the garden. Blade killed not one but both of them this morning. And then left their mangled bodies in the kitchen. Cheers for that.....

« Reply #23 on: 04 May, 2010, 05:12:20 pm »
Boris the blade is in the dog cat house at the moment. There is were a lovely pair of Blackbirds nesting in a tree in the garden. Blade killed not one but both of them this morning. And then left their mangled bodies in the kitchen. Cheers for that.....

:(

« Reply #24 on: 05 May, 2010, 03:22:42 pm »
I am at home poorly-ick today (I think my immune system is not used to toddlers). So far, one cat has tried to vomit on the bed, and the other one has been making her "I've caught a mousie!" shouts to try and make me get her jingly ball from under the dresser. When I tired of this, she went and caught a real mousie which she presented to me with a great fuss. I bent down to pick it up and my skirt split open.  :-[ I eventually caught the mousie and got bitten.

I think I'm going back to work. It's more restful.

Kathy, I seem to recall a fair few posts from you involving wardbrobe malfunctions...we need photos etc...