Author Topic: Dog found  (Read 1941 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Dog found
« on: 01 November, 2014, 02:33:48 pm »
Whilst returning from the park this morning I met a couple of young chaps with a chihuahua that seemed to have adopted them. She had a collar but no visible means of identification. They asked me if I knew of her owner, but never having seen the dog before, I had no idea.

We tried phoning the dog warden service, but it's Saturday, and dogs are not allowed to be lost out of office hours. Eventually I phoned Southend Police who put me through to the Council's emergency number. They spoke to one of the young blokes and we seemed to be making some kind of progress. The problem was that there is a vet's service, a couple of miles away, who deals with stray dogs, but I'm without transport today as Dez has the car visiting a pal in North Essex and returning via his narrow-boat-owning cousin for dinner in Chelmsford.

I left the blokes with something to aim at, but said if they were stuck, I'd do what I could to help and told them my address. They turned up with a friend, and the dog, having drawn a blank. I found the out-of-hours dog service and was told that there is a vet not that far away where the dog's microchip (if any) can be read. I offered Bug-eyes (my name for the chihuahua) some lunch and kept Morphy back in case there should be any jealousy, but he was actually very good and I probably need not have worried, other than that this small dog weighed scarcely more than his head and even well-intentioned clumsiness on his part could have been quite damaging.

I didn't think I had it within me to like a chihuahua but she was a lovely little dog who just had that look that made you want to rescue her. She also ate a piece of Morphy's dog-meat from my hand, made eye contact and wagged appreciatively as she scoffed it.

I do hope that they can sort her out as otherwise I might be offering a home to a dog I don't really want. I like a bigger dog that you can take for a walk, not a tiny thing that would break of you trod on it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Dog found
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2014, 02:54:20 pm »

We tried phoning the dog warden service, but it's Saturday, and dogs are not allowed to be lost out of office hours. 

Yes, that's fun isn't it. I've had a same with a dog close to a main road. It's because the law changed a few years back and responsibility passed from police to councils, but councils don't necessarily have the resources to provide a 24 hour service.

Note that six years ago last month I offered to look after Cam 'for a few days' when her last owner had got herself into a stupid situation...at the time I didn't really 'want' her either...!

I hope she finds her owner, I can see how Morphy could end up sitting on her or something...

« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2014, 02:58:10 pm »
Poor little thing. Well done for taking her in and *attempting to* notify the dog warden. Hopefully a microchip will reveal her owner's details. The warden is legally required to hold stray dogs for seven days before arranging for them to be rehomed (or worse, put to sleep).

I think in the meantime it would be worth you having a good trawl of twitter, local Facebook groups and http://www.doglost.co.uk/ to see if anyone is looking for her. You could also post a photo of her with details of where she was found, and tweet it to @doglostuk, which retweets photos of lost and found pets.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2014, 04:53:48 pm »
You could also post a photo of her with details of where she was found

Be sure to use generous amounts of cable ties, in case of passing audaxers...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2014, 07:38:51 pm »
The dog hasn't been returned here. The trio were heading for somewhere to read her microchip, assuming she had one. I'm hoping that she has been reunited with her owner.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2014, 04:12:19 pm »
Happy ending!

One of the chaps turned up at our door a few minutes ago, returning the lead I had lent them. After some 4 days the dog's owner was found and Tinkerbell - for it was she (ugh!) - was reunited with them.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2014, 07:45:08 pm »
What a happy ending to the story. Warms the cockles of me heart. (I shan't make any comment about Wowbagger being a fairy godmother figure.)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2014, 12:03:29 am »
Fairy DOGmother, surely?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 23 November, 2014, 07:55:52 pm »
Happy ending!

One of the chaps turned up at our door a few minutes ago, returning the lead I had lent them. After some 4 days the dog's owner was found and Tinkerbell - for it was she (ugh!) - was reunited with them.

That’s excellent news, WB.