Author Topic: London-Wales-London  (Read 67541 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: London Wales London (Severn Across as was...)
« Reply #75 on: 18 December, 2016, 08:26:22 pm »
I've just entered. I did a DIY 200 yesterday, the first in a long while, on my road to another LEL,  so I hope I am not writing (virtual) cheques my body can't cash. Still, something to aim for gives me focus. :thumbsup:

BTW: can anyone let me have an idea of the mainroad route back to arrivee, to avoid the laney nightime route from Membury? TIA.

Essentially its a case of picking up the A4 after the last control and bashing along . but the laney bit is actually the best bit of the whole ride IMHO
probably, but I just disn't fancy steep twisty descents in the cold, wet and dark. Not to mention navigation.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #76 on: 18 December, 2016, 09:45:32 pm »

My provisional roue for 2017:
https://www.strava.com/routes/4711001
In 2016 I stayed on the A4 until Slough.
Easier climb up to Gerrards Cross.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #77 on: 18 December, 2016, 10:05:04 pm »
I've just entered. I did a DIY 200 yesterday, the first in a long while, on my road to another LEL,  so I hope I am not writing (virtual) cheques my body can't cash. Still, something to aim for gives me focus. :thumbsup:

BTW: can anyone let me have an idea of the mainroad route back to arrivee, to avoid the laney nightime route from Membury? TIA.
from the crossroads between membury and lamboure take the Newbury turning. Then follow a4 to maidenhead (reading is awkward as I recall) the before crossing Thames take cookham turn cookham bourne end Wooburn green, to the a40 follow a40 to Gerrard Cross and drop down to chalfont st Peter from there.

Be aware that won't work next year - control is not Membury, so you'll need to go down valley road to Newbury, or climb back up..
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #78 on: 18 December, 2016, 10:10:51 pm »
if the worst happens DNF is not the end of the world.

Surely that depends on where it happens. A major mechanical fewer than 10 miles from a railway station or town with understanding minicab drivers is not much of a problem.  I wouldn't have fancied getting one up on the north coast of Scotland on last year's National 400.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #79 on: 18 December, 2016, 11:51:46 pm »
if the worst happens DNF is not the end of the world.

Surely that depends on where it happens. A major mechanical fewer than 10 miles from a railway station or town with understanding minicab drivers is not much of a problem.  I wouldn't have fancied getting one up on the north coast of Scotland on last year's National 400.
This is very true. Living in the south I'm a bit complacent about never being more than 10 miles from civilisation. For the transcontinentail I would pack more supplies, this may also apply to north Scotland and Snowdonia.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #80 on: 19 December, 2016, 08:03:33 am »
It is not "The End of The World" if your bike breaks down in the UK. Anywhere. I've ridden that north coast road twice in the dark, and at no point was I fearsome afraid (and I'm at the risk-averse end of AUK). Sure there is more risk than in Berkshire, but "End of the World"??

Get a grip people. Save the hyperbole for those "epic" sportives amusingly named after mythical creatures.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #81 on: 19 December, 2016, 12:36:10 pm »
Save the hyperbole for those "epic" sportives amusingly named after mythical creatures.

I'm going to keep draggin' that up....

« Reply #82 on: 19 December, 2016, 02:08:27 pm »
My revised 2017 route does go into Lambourn (don't know where the control is yet) instead of Membury.
In addition there is a 24hr MacDs at Theale (360km).  A welcome hot drink at 02:00 last year.

« Reply #83 on: 19 December, 2016, 07:05:41 pm »
It is not "The End of The World" if your bike breaks down in the UK.

I'm inclined to agree with you apart from recently in sub zero temperatures with the rain pouring down and being at the point where stopping for more than a few minutes had me shivering I thought "if I fall off and am incapacitated I'm in real trouble as no one is going to be driving along these roads".

I've got a phone and would have managed to get myself to safety (and was riding with another person) but it's times like that where the weather/cold could be dangerous that really focus the mind. Very similar to being up on the fells and have the clouds suddenly roll in and visibility vanishes.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #84 on: 20 December, 2016, 03:16:54 pm »
It is not "The End of The World" if your bike breaks down in the UK.

I'm inclined to agree with you apart from recently in sub zero temperatures with the rain pouring down and being at the point where stopping for more than a few minutes had me shivering I thought "if I fall off and am incapacitated I'm in real trouble as no one is going to be driving along these roads".

I've got a phone and would have managed to get myself to safety (and was riding with another person) but it's times like that where the weather/cold could be dangerous that really focus the mind. Very similar to being up on the fells and have the clouds suddenly roll in and visibility vanishes.
Jamie is trying to trick me into saying:
"it won't be sub-zero and raining in May."

Nice try!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #85 on: 23 December, 2016, 03:04:58 pm »
So the waiting list is now open.

Normally Audax entry fees are not refundable but if anyone drops out before March (and so enables me to give a place to someone on the waiting list) I'll return their entry fee (minus £3)...

Liam

« Reply #86 on: 23 December, 2016, 04:57:03 pm »
Oops! I had drafted out some plans for next year but didn't expect anything to fill up so soon.

Email sent to join waiting list.

Only four months to keep my fingers crossed for some half-decent weather.

Phil W

« Reply #87 on: 23 December, 2016, 05:24:45 pm »
So the waiting list is now open.

Normally Audax entry fees are not refundable but if anyone drops out before March (and so enables me to give a place to someone on the waiting list) I'll return their entry fee (minus £3)...

Liam

Good going, your rebranding and promotional efforts have proved their worth.

« Reply #88 on: 23 December, 2016, 06:20:53 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks - but I can't take the credit... I think it being LEL year has a lot to do with it!

Phil W

« Reply #89 on: 23 December, 2016, 07:09:03 pm »

Thanks - but I can't take the credit... I think it being LEL year has a lot to do with it!

What you think a few might complain when they find out they weren't riding to Edinburgh and back? :facepalm: ;D

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #90 on: 23 December, 2016, 08:17:23 pm »

What you think a few might complain when they find out they weren't riding to Edinburgh and back? :facepalm: ;D
No they probably just found the ride due to a search engine typo and thought Scotland and Wales in the same year was a good idea.

« Reply #91 on: 24 December, 2016, 08:59:40 am »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who knows - the quality of my GPS files has attracted comment in the past...

« Reply #92 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:12:09 pm »
With 35 people on the waiting list I've stopped taking names.  If I get more than 35 cancellations I'll post on here to let people know.

If people  still want to be involved in the LWL fun I'd welcome any help... and supporters get to do the helpers'  barebones ride the following weekend.

We need helpers:

- at the start from 0400 on the Saturday morning for 3 hours
- checking in riders at the Woodstock control from around 0800 until about 1030
- checking in riders at the Chepstow control from lunchtime to early evening
- helping out at Lambourn control from early evening to the small hours

If you are interested in helping out dm me

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #93 on: 05 January, 2017, 08:13:49 pm »
We need helpers:

- checking in riders at the Chepstow control from lunchtime to early evening

If you are interested in helping out dm me

Have dm'd you
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #94 on: 06 January, 2017, 07:49:36 am »
Out of interest, how many starters are there?

(I'm one of them ... and a bit nervous about the whole thing).

Always hard to say as you never know until after the start how many no shows you are going to have.  The weather seems to be a big factor!  However, I'm planning on ordering 100 Brevet cards.

Liam

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #95 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:33:40 pm »
Sadly I'm having to drop out of this. My wife has something to do which has priority for the Sunday and I can't get back from the south to the north in time - certainly not after a 400. After wanting to do the Severn Across for many years, and being really excited about the rebranding I'm rather gutted to have to drop out.

I have a non-refundable Premier Inn at Beaconsfield for £39. I don't know if it is possible to let someone else have this - that is if someone was interested.

If there is a waiting list then I hope my loss is someone else's gain.

(Sorry Liam.)

« Reply #96 on: 05 March, 2017, 10:46:24 pm »
I too am considering dropping out. I rode a 200 yesterday and struggled badly. I am questioning my ability to complete a 400.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #97 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:01:35 am »
I too am considering dropping out. I rode a 200 yesterday and struggled badly. I am questioning my ability to complete a 400.

Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value feeling of the investment audaxer and the income deriving from it distances covered can go down as well up. :)

I rode a 100 last week (route checking) and was shattered by the end, but I still have plans for LEL. Come the last weekend in April, the weather may be warmer and you may find the ride easier - possibly even easier than an early March 200. I don't know if you knew all this... If you are only suffering from doubts then I'd encourage you to try anyway. You may surprise yourself. :)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #98 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:22:03 am »

Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value feeling of the investment audaxer and the income deriving from it distances covered can go down as well up. :)

I rode a 100 last week (route checking) and was shattered by the end, but I still have plans for LEL. Come the last weekend in April, the weather may be warmer and you may find the ride easier - possibly even easier than an early March 200. I don't know if you knew all this... If you are only suffering from doubts then I'd encourage you to try anyway. You may surprise yourself. :)
So true, also the fact the 200 was hard means it should provide fitness benefits. Calory intake coukd also be a factor.

Lastly your chances of finishing are 100% lower if you don't start.

« Reply #99 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:26:13 am »

Hang on in there - get a nice 300 under your belt (manotea's 3 Down is a nice option) and you'll be fine!

But don't forget to let me know by email if you drop out (I may not see messages on here).  However, I expect to see you in your finest fettle on the start line!

Liam