Author Topic: Wheelsets & other bits.. ?  (Read 6193 times)

Wheelsets & other bits.. ?
« on: 09 April, 2010, 11:16:34 pm »
The nth hand fixed I bought a while ago has become my normal mount for commuting & short trips.  I've taken the "minimum maintenance" thing a bit to far though.   When I recently stripped down the no name rear hub it wasn't a pretty sight, I'm used to the seals on XT hubs, this had almost nothing and was a bit the worse for wear.   The cup & cone bottom bracket & one piece Thun chainset are due for a refresh as well. Hell, I may even splash out on a respray!

Wheelsets - I believe that the hubs sold as On-One, EX-System & Zenith are the same beast & are decent value for money. Is this correct ?

If so, what are the One One wheelsets at £99:00 like ?  Would Spa's £125 set using Zenith branded hubs & Chrina's be a better buy ?

Cranksets - Are the cheapish Stronglight Mygals OK ?  What about these ?

Thanks

Andrew
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Wheelsets & other bits.. ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2010, 08:08:22 am »
System-Ex, Zenith and Ambrosio are the same, I think On-One are something different but similar quality. I have a Ambrosio, it's nowt special, cartridge bearings which don't last long for winter riding. I'd prefer traditional cup and cones with proper seals though, but at this price point they don't exist. I think the ones you mention are good VFM though, don't get me wrong, one needs to pay more for better stuff.

I'd go for the Spa wheel set or if I could buy the parts more cheaply build them myself. I'd choose these simply because I know more about the components and On-One leave a bad taste in my mouth and Spa are jolly nice people to whom I don't mind giving my money.

The Mygal chainset looks OK, as does the other one you linked to. Some cheap Stronglight stuff is a bit soft though and doesn't last as long as one would like. The rings on many chainsets tend to be cheap and need replacing sooner than one would like.  Rogerzilla had a Sugino for sale which might suit you. A Sugino RD is another alternative to look at, you'll often find some on eBay for about £50.

« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2010, 01:31:01 pm »
Thanks for the crankset tip, I may drop Roger a line.

Are the Goldtec hubs a massive jump in quality ?  The front Joytech/FIR wheel is still spinning nicely and I don't need to replace both at the same time...

As I bought it the bike came with a 3/32 Surly 12t rear sprocket and a 46t chainset which is a bit high. The area around Liverpool isn't very hilly but all the routes out of the city are quite steep and I'm half way up the hill!  It also make my acceleration at lights a bit slow. What would be a more sensible combination ?

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2010, 01:40:19 pm »
Goldtecs are made for street use I think so their seals are what seals should be. I'd use Goldtechs if I could afford to, Deano does as does Mr Fixed Mal Volio I beleive.

46x 12 ? that's over 100 inches, that's huge. Most people seem touse 65"-72" for urban/general riding. I use 70" (47x18) in Leeds for commuting which is not flat and 200km audaxes. It's a personal choice though, but a good place to start is 'mid sixties' then go larger or smaller if you need to. (I keep saying I'll gear down for the winter, but I never do)

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2010, 01:45:13 pm »
I use 46 x 17. This seems to strike about the right balance.

46 x 16 is more fun on exclusively flattish rides but on longer, hillier rides it is too much.

46 x 12 is very high!

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2010, 02:16:01 pm »
Whoops!   It's a 17t I couldn't read for the amount of dirt  :-[     No wonder I was shocked when I ran it through a gear calculator!

« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2010, 07:06:44 pm »
Whoops!   It's a 17t I couldn't read for the amount of dirt  :-[     No wonder I was shocked when I ran it through a gear calculator!

if you are finding that too large at times, pop on a 18 and see how you go, you may need to lengthen your chain.

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2010, 07:09:56 pm »
Goldtecs for posh, but the On-One small flange hubs are, TBH, perfectly good enough. I've thrashed a couple through big, hilly, grotty winter miles and they've not given me any trouble - ever.

The large-flange ones are I think from the same factory as the Zeniths that Spa use.  Should also be fine but i have no experience

In other words, both options look OK to me :)

« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2010, 10:17:33 pm »
It would seem sensible to move the 17t from the existing hub onto the new one & put an 18t on the other side.  It's 3/32, does that mean the chainrings & chain have to be the same ?  Does either size have an advantage ?

I can see me building this up, getting it right and then taking it to bits again so I can get the frame done. The previous owners home paint job is coming off if I look at it.

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2010, 10:22:27 pm »
If your chainring or sprocket is 1/8th, use an 1/8th chain. A 1/8th chain works OK with 3/32 sprocket. Building and stripping a Fixed is much easier  and quicker than a bike with derialleurs and shifers.

border-rider

« Reply #10 on: 11 April, 2010, 10:26:05 pm »
As Rab says, if it's a 3/32 sprocket you can mix'n'match with 1/8 and 3/32

The rules:

1/8 chain will happily run on any size sprocket & chainring or a mix of 1/8 and 3/32;

if either the sprocket or chainring is 1/8 then you have to use a 1/8 chain;

and: 1/8 chain on a 3/32 sprocket can be a bit rattly, sometimes but its harmless noise.

« Reply #11 on: 13 April, 2010, 10:10:31 pm »
andrewc  have you had a look at the chainsets on here, towards the bottom of the page.

VeloSolo Shop - Chainsets, Chainrings, Chainring Bolts

« Reply #12 on: 13 April, 2010, 10:24:35 pm »
cartridge bearings which don't last long for winter riding. I'd prefer traditional cup and cones with proper seals though, but at this price point they don't exist. I think the ones you mention are good VFM though, don't get me wrong, one needs to pay more for better stuff.

just changed my cartridge bearings, replaced the originals with 'expensive' SKF £12-00 pair from local supplier. Simple job to tap out old ones and press new in. The originals were only sealed on the outside - perhaps to reduce seal friction.  remains to be seen how they last the originals were a tiny bit rough - combination of winter and a lot of hilly riding

« Reply #13 on: 14 April, 2010, 09:25:24 am »
Ooohh.....shiny stuff in VeloSolo  :-)

« Reply #14 on: 14 April, 2010, 09:30:57 am »
cartridge bearings which don't last long for winter riding. I'd prefer traditional cup and cones with proper seals though, but at this price point they don't exist. I think the ones you mention are good VFM though, don't get me wrong, one needs to pay more for better stuff.

just changed my cartridge bearings, replaced the originals with 'expensive' SKF £12-00 pair from local supplier. Simple job to tap out old ones and press new in. The originals were only sealed on the outside - perhaps to reduce seal friction.  remains to be seen how they last the originals were a tiny bit rough - combination of winter and a lot of hilly riding

I have SKF in there now and some more waiting to be fitted.

« Reply #15 on: 16 April, 2010, 09:15:46 pm »
I seem to have had an accidental slip of the Visa card and ordered some Goldtecs on Open Pro's..... :D

C&G quoted me £87 for a single colour respray, though I want some bottle cage mounts & a pump peg as well....maybe get the lugs lined too..oh well, interest rates the way they are it's not worth saving!

Zoidburg

« Reply #16 on: 16 April, 2010, 09:31:14 pm »
Go retro, pimpy band on pump pegs.

« Reply #17 on: 16 April, 2010, 09:42:25 pm »
Go retro, pimpy band on pump pegs.

No, a nice fixed peg, ideally on one of the seatstays....

The hubs & rims will be black with silver spokes.... there's a honey coloured Brooks to take into consideration as well..

Zoidburg, are you good with colours............?

Zoidburg

« Reply #18 on: 16 April, 2010, 09:50:46 pm »
It depends on what colour the frame will be.

« Reply #19 on: 16 April, 2010, 10:05:29 pm »
Gloss black with the lugs picked out in gold,  or a dark blue like Tewdric & Sergeant Pluck have ?   The current bright yellow shows dirt too easily.

I was drooling over a dark blue fixed Bob Jackson last night, an antique brown Brooks and shiny shiny Phil Wood hubs, left alone & chained up in Liverpool....

Zoidburg

« Reply #20 on: 16 April, 2010, 10:08:33 pm »
The black and gold theme while good looks a bit 1970's John Player Specials F1 team.

Raleigh did a super record in that colour scheme.

« Reply #21 on: 16 April, 2010, 10:26:11 pm »
It's an oldish frame but I don't know who by. I see what you mean about the "John Player" look though. Used to have a Peugeot in a lovely deep metallic purple, but some bastard nicked it from my Dad's garage. Now there's a thought... Oh well, no hurry for that part of the job.

« Reply #22 on: 16 April, 2010, 11:01:48 pm »
You could have a play about with this. No detailing as such but you can see a few different combinations of kit, no spds's though.

You can drag the frame to the centre of the screen for easier viewing.

« Reply #23 on: 16 April, 2010, 11:14:07 pm »
Can I ask for a rough price of your new wheels please Andrew?

I asked my LBS for hardwearing non fancy wheels and he's using the already mentioned as being ok Ambrosio hubs on some rims of his choice and charging me £130 for the pair which was cheaper than I was prepared to save up for. They might be ready tomorrow.

« Reply #24 on: 17 April, 2010, 06:44:03 pm »
Can I ask for a rough price of your new wheels please Andrew?

I asked my LBS for hardwearing non fancy wheels and he's using the already mentioned as being ok Ambrosio hubs on some rims of his choice and charging me £130 for the pair which was cheaper than I was prepared to save up for. They might be ready tomorrow.

£251  :o from BETD