Author Topic: Wheelsets & other bits.. ?  (Read 6227 times)

Re: Wheelsets & other bits.. ?
« Reply #25 on: 17 April, 2010, 07:47:13 pm »
Thanks Mr C, I'd have been prepared to save up that much but I told him I was at his mercy for his recommendations and that's what he suggested. I'll suck them and see.

« Reply #26 on: 17 April, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »
My Goldtec hubs cost £130-ish.  Since I already had the rims and spokes and fancied building my own, that was also the total cost :thumbsup:

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #27 on: 17 April, 2010, 09:38:54 pm »
Can I ask for a rough price of your new wheels please Andrew?

I asked my LBS for hardwearing non fancy wheels and he's using the already mentioned as being ok Ambrosio hubs on some rims of his choice and charging me £130 for the pair which was cheaper than I was prepared to save up for. They might be ready tomorrow.

£251  :o from BETD   

I'm sure my Open Pros on Goldtec wheels were just a shade over £200 when I bought them last summer. And I had to wait almost 4 months for them! Excellent quality though.

« Reply #28 on: 17 April, 2010, 10:35:26 pm »
I was told approximately a week.  They can also do silver as a special order for £10 extra.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #29 on: 17 April, 2010, 11:18:44 pm »
I was told approximately a week. 

So was I... several times.  ::-)

Chainset to match Goldtecs ? (was Wheelsets & other bits)
« Reply #30 on: 26 April, 2010, 03:37:28 pm »
Well the new rims now have tape & tyres on.   I've got an Andel 18t sprocket & lockring  loosely fitted (apparently identical to the Surly stuff).  A new chain is in the toolbox.

I now need a crankset & bottom bracket that will give a good line with the Goldtec hubs.

According to the LFGSS database the Miche Primato Advanced is a popular choice.  Any comments re these ?    Is the matching bottom bracket good ? (I'd rather use a Shimano style as I've got the fitting tool)

Lookswise (& pricewise) I like the Andel set Velosolo are selling for £50 (arms only) I may drop them an email and see if they think it would line up with the hub (they suggest a 110mm BB).

Chainset to match Goldtecs ? (was Wheelsets & other bits)
« Reply #31 on: 20 May, 2010, 09:14:05 pm »
Well the new rims now have tape & tyres on.   I've got an Andel 18t sprocket & lockring  loosely fitted (apparently identical to the Surly stuff).  A new chain is in the toolbox.

I now need a crankset & bottom bracket that will give a good line with the Goldtec hubs.

According to the LFGSS database the Miche Primato Advanced is a popular choice.  Any comments re these ?    Is the matching bottom bracket good ? (I'd rather use a Shimano style as I've got the fitting tool)

Lookswise (& pricewise) I like the Andel set Velosolo are selling for £50 (arms only) I may drop them an email and see if they think it would line up with the hub (they suggest a 110mm BB).

« Reply #32 on: 20 May, 2010, 09:36:05 pm »
Strange that I missed this post. I've recently been going on interminably on this very subject.

There is some adjustability available with Miche BB but nevertheless I still think that the Miche BB / primato advanced combination will not give you the 45 or 46 mm needed for the Goldtec.

Sift through this.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Chainset to match Goldtecs ? (was Wheelsets & other bits)
« Reply #33 on: 21 May, 2010, 12:23:40 am »

I've got it pretty close with a Campagnolo 111mm BB and the chainring on the outer position on the spider. Close enough that an experienced trackie, mechanic and bike shop owner was mildly impressed.

« Reply #34 on: 21 May, 2010, 09:44:21 am »
Prompt response from VeloSolo.  Doesn't sound that it will do what I need unless i use a longer BB though.

Thank you for your email and interest in VeloSolo products.

The guide to chainline for the Andel with a 110mm BB is 42mm.  Please note that chainlines are always an approximation, you would need to measure the actual chainline on your bike to be sure of a good match, more here:

Fixed Wheel FAQ's at VeloSolo

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Happy riding!

Max

« Reply #35 on: 23 May, 2010, 01:19:19 pm »
I've just done a measurement of my rear chainline at 48mm (60-12 measured with a steel rule).  Do I need to subtract the thickness of the cog as well ?

Would a 115mm BB used with this this be a reasonable combination (chainline for the Andel with a 110mm BB is 42mm) or would  I be better going for a Miche combo ?