Author Topic: Pompinos on Sale - some questions  (Read 27640 times)

Pompinos on Sale - some questions
« on: 10 September, 2010, 08:27:02 am »
The Planet X site is currently offering a 1/3rd of the Pompino Road Sport, ie selling at 399 quid for full bike.  I am somewhat tempted, but not yet convinced.  I have been looking at the Genesis Day One Cross for a while and it seems to me to be what I need, especially with a flip-flop hub as it is quite hilly in the region (plus the orange looks funky, chocolate brown and muddy green don't).  Does the Pompino have a flip-flop hub?  The website just mentions them being 120mm Clincher wheels, made by On One themselves.

Also, are the 28mm tyres sufficient for some basic off road stuff?  The Day One has 35mm tyres, so should be more suited to off-road stuff, but correspondingly is 35mm too much for road use?

Unfortunately, due to location issues, try before you buy is nigh on impossible for me, so all help/comments/recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.   I have read that Pompino sizing can be complicated,which doesn't help the decision.  If it helps, I am around 6ft1, with quite long legs and arms.

PS.  Please don't buy all the larger sizes before I make my mind up  ;)

border-rider

Re: Pompinos on Sale - some questions
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:44:52 am »
The wheels on the On-On are way better.  That's a pretty good wheelset. It'll be a double fixed hub, I think, so you can run it as fixed-fixed or fixed-free as you fancy.

At that price I'd say that the Pomp is a steal.

35mm isn't too much for winter road use, but you could always change the tyres on the Pomp if you wanted bigger.  It really depends on the tyre - there are 28s and 28s.

I'd also say that the cantis on the Pomp are a plus for me - mini Vs are a PITA with dropped bars.  I had them on my Pomp and in the end changed them for cantis anyway. 

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:53:15 am »
if it helps, I'm 6'2" and ride an XL pomp with a 100mm stem.  (you're very welcome to try it if youre near cambridge)

where are they for 399? That's a great price.

« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:59:49 am »
if it helps, I'm 6'2" and ride an XL pomp with a 100mm stem.  (you're very welcome to try it if youre near cambridge)

where are they for 399? That's a great price.

It does help, but as I am in south eastern France, a try before i buy is not a possible option.

The Planet X website is where I have seen them.

« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2010, 09:02:04 am »
OMG. At 399 I could get one for the boy, maybe, as maybe he might let me ride it too. And then he's growing and might get too big for it leaving it in my shed...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2010, 09:09:45 am »
Damn it. I did not need to know that one could buy a blowjob Pompino for £400.

Must. Not. Buy. New. Bike.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2010, 09:12:51 am »
At that price I'd say that the Pomp is a steal.

I'm dallied with the Pomp in the past and didn't get on with it* but at this price and spec I'd have another go if I could sneak another bike into the house. As MV says, it's a steal.

I've never been a fan of large tyres on a road bike but all that changed when I rode the Seething 600km this summer which featured long stretches of crumbling top dressed roads which rattled me to bits on 25mm tyres. I really envied Chris S on his Pomp running big touring tyres.

*I'm just under 6' and bought a Large. On reflection I needed an XL, especially with the midge bars which were the stock option at the time.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2010, 02:17:52 pm »
Bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger.

I don't need another bicycle, but I do like my pompino and it must be about 6 years old now and is very tatty looking, and lots of it has been replaced, and you can get another £30 off by assembling it yourself, so I could get one and put it on the shelf in the garage so that if mine needs something major fixing I would have a spare for commuting.

Bugger, I don't need quandaries like that!
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2010, 02:28:15 pm »
Sorry for posting this; as apparently it is now causing a lot of stress, grief and dilemmas.

Having read this thread and done plenty of googling, my main dilemma is whether to go for Green or Brown..........

« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2010, 03:17:22 pm »
surely nobody would chose a brown one?  I quite like the white...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2010, 03:18:51 pm »
A susrprisin number of people went for the brown Langster.  I suppose it was initially an unattractive colour, i.e. less nickable.  But it quickly came to denote Langster, so it had a certain anti-hip.
Getting there...

αdαmsκι

« Reply #11 on: 10 September, 2010, 03:30:35 pm »
A susrprisin number of people went for the brown Langster.  I suppose it was initially an unattractive colour, i.e. less nickable.  But it quickly came to denote Langster, so it had a certain anti-hip.

The only option for the 2007 Langster was the poo brown colour. Maybe this did make it less nickable, but it was certainly still nickable. As I found out to my cost.

Buying a Pompion for £400 makes economoical sense if I commute on it, right? Better than trashing the Ribble with it's expensive 10 speed gears. And I did just get a big fat cheque from the tax man as I'd overpaid, so in effect the bike would be free :-\

[Edit]Planet X website is currently saying the Pompion Sport is "Currently unavailable"
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #12 on: 10 September, 2010, 03:43:39 pm »
A susrprisin number of people went for the brown Langster.  I suppose it was initially an unattractive colour, i.e. less nickable.  But it quickly came to denote Langster, so it had a certain anti-hip.

The only option for the 2007 Langster was the poo brown colour. Maybe this did make it less nickable, but it was certainly still nickable. As I found out to my cost.

Buying a Pompion for £400 makes economoical sense if I commute on it, right? Better than trashing the Ribble with it's expensive 10 speed gears. And I did just get a big fat cheque from the tax man as I'd overpaid, so in effect the bike would be free :-\

[Edit]Planet X website is currently saying the Pompion Sport is "Currently unavailable"

They are on the on-one website.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #13 on: 10 September, 2010, 03:47:32 pm »
Don't tell me that! I was busy accepting I'd missed out.

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 10 September, 2010, 04:06:02 pm »
I really envied Chris S on his Pomp running big touring tyres.

What a difference 3mm makes :).

I've also been running them at a lower pressure - around 80psi. Mmm comfy.

OT - Yes, I too suddenly want to buy a new Pomp - even though, other than a few tatty bits, mine is perfectly fine. How about one of each colour?

« Reply #15 on: 10 September, 2010, 04:07:41 pm »
you could always put an alfine on one of them... (I'm so damn tempted)

αdαmsκι

« Reply #16 on: 10 September, 2010, 04:08:14 pm »
Whoops. Erm, my finger slip.

;D

border-rider

« Reply #17 on: 10 September, 2010, 04:08:55 pm »
I really envied Chris S on his Pomp running big touring tyres.

What a difference 3mm makes :).

I always ran big tyres on mine.  Made it ever so comfy and sure-footed

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 10 September, 2010, 04:21:58 pm »
If only you could get Paselas in black. I'm not a fan of the Pee Wee Herman look :facepalm:.

Zoidburg

« Reply #19 on: 10 September, 2010, 07:20:41 pm »
I have black ones.

They are 26" though.

« Reply #20 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:05:43 pm »

I got a brown Pompino (that sounds extra rude!) earlier this year against my better judgement.  I mean, who rides a brown bike?

But it's a gorgeous colour and I really, really like it.  :thumbsup:  It's a rich chocolatey brown with a hint of sparkle which doesn't show well on pictures, but does 'in the flesh'.

With cream bar tape to match the decals and tan wall tyres it looks very smart in a retro but different sort of way.   

Zoidburg

« Reply #21 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:16:28 pm »
I will never ride a bike with the same colour scheme as a Morris 1800.

« Reply #22 on: 11 September, 2010, 04:36:21 pm »
They are still there calling to me. My blue one was s/h and is now looking a bit battered and was tempted to a Condor tempo but £399!!!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23 on: 11 September, 2010, 06:30:30 pm »
I will never ride a bike with the same colour scheme as a Morris 1800.

Could be (slightly) worse...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Austin_Allegro_Brown_1.JPG

Even has the cream bar tape seats.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #24 on: 11 September, 2010, 09:05:13 pm »
Oh dear, temptation!

On Thursday I was at J o' G - a coach hols tour/trip to Dornoch and The Orkneys - and had a quick chat with a LEJoGer arriving on a Pompino Fixed. Said he'd enjoyed the ride - and had already decided to do it again next year, but on single speed.

And I SO wanted a Pompino again...and now a real A1 5-star bargain.

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.