Author Topic: Flinching pedestrians  (Read 11647 times)

Re: Flinching pedestrians
« Reply #50 on: 24 March, 2011, 01:08:27 pm »
Let's remember that pedestrians are allowed on cycle paths.  It's up to us to slow down and be careful yes?

Yes. And the same applies to pedestrians, especially if there are markings for "cyclists' side" and "pedestrians' side". This does not entitle them to walk four abreast or with their tame jackals' leads stretched across the path.

I'm afraid (with my cyclist's hat on) that pedestrians are indeed entitled to walk wherever they please on public land, with the exception of motorways or any other road from which they are prohibited.  Yes, it's annoying, and in some cases deliberate, but just having a 'cycle side'  or indeed a cycle only path doesn't prohibit people walking on it.

In the Highway code, cyclists MUST stay their side of the line, pedestrians only SHOULD, which is the vital difference.

With my pedestrian hat on (and my general 'power to the weakest' hat - I have lots of hats), this is a good thing, although I of course try and take care to leave room for people to pass and if on a segregated path, stick to 'my' side.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #51 on: 24 March, 2011, 01:43:15 pm »
Let's remember that pedestrians are allowed on cycle paths.  It's up to us to slow down and be careful yes?

Yes. And the same applies to pedestrians, especially if there are markings for "cyclists' side" and "pedestrians' side". This does not entitle them to walk four abreast or with their tame jackals' leads stretched across the path.

I'm afraid (with my cyclist's hat on) that pedestrians are indeed entitled to walk wherever they please on public land, with the exception of motorways or any other road from which they are prohibited.  Yes, it's annoying, and in some cases deliberate, but just having a 'cycle side'  or indeed a cycle only path doesn't prohibit people walking on it.

In the Highway code, cyclists MUST stay their side of the line, pedestrians only SHOULD, which is the vital difference.

With my pedestrian hat on (and my general 'power to the weakest' hat - I have lots of hats), this is a good thing, although I of course try and take care to leave room for people to pass and if on a segregated path, stick to 'my' side.

Indeed, just remember that pedestrians have priority, even on designated shared use paths.

It's pretty much the reason why I try and avoid shared use paths as much as possible, even if it means a reasonable detour on roads.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #52 on: 24 March, 2011, 02:24:04 pm »

Indeed, just remember that pedestrians have priority, even on designated shared use paths.

This does not mean it is sensible or even reasonable to walk on a path clearly marked with painted bicycles.
The journey is always more important than the destination

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 24 March, 2011, 02:50:02 pm »
It might not be sensible or reasonable but it happens
All the time
With dog lovers whose leads extend the full width of a path
And beyond

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #54 on: 24 March, 2011, 03:01:38 pm »
Remember, dog poo has priority over cycle tyres also. Forget this at your peril.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #55 on: 24 March, 2011, 03:23:49 pm »
It might not be sensible or reasonable but it happens
All the time
With dog lovers whose leads extend the full width of a path
And beyond

I'm with the Koreans on dogs.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 24 March, 2011, 05:06:40 pm »
Remember, dog poo has priority over cycle tyres also. Forget this at your peril.
And pedestrian shoes. It also has a strong attraction to the pee fairy (both sorts). But if it contains pea then it's most likely human.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #57 on: 24 March, 2011, 05:16:41 pm »
I don't expect to go fast on a shared path anyway, so what does it matter if a pedestrian delays me for two seconds?  Not at all, does it matter.

It's only people stepping out onto the road without looking that gets on my nerves (ped wise).  Too many people are relying purely on their hearing.  Silly fools.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #58 on: 24 March, 2011, 05:35:09 pm »
I don't expect to go fast on a shared path anyway, so what does it matter if a pedestrian delays me for two seconds?  Not at all, does it matter.

It's only people stepping out onto the road without looking that gets on my nerves (ped wise).  Too many people are relying purely on their hearing.  Silly fools.

I don't hurry on shared paths. But oncoming peds (often runners or with dogs) on the wrong side of the path, and those who suddenly cross from the pedestrian side to the cycle side without looking are not only annoying but also dangerous.

As for people stepping on to the road without looking; I can usually spot them in advance because I expect them, and they usually get told to be careful.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #59 on: 24 March, 2011, 05:44:15 pm »
As for people stepping on to the road without looking; I can usually spot them in advance because I expect them, and they usually get told to be careful.

In a polite and friendly manner, no doubt ;)

I just ring my bell.  I'm a born again bell ringer now - after many years of never using one.

« Reply #60 on: 24 March, 2011, 05:57:43 pm »

In a polite and friendly manner, no doubt ;)

Errr.. Yes. Something like "Careful!" Or just a friendly whistle.

I just ring my bell.  I'm a born again bell ringer now - after many years of never using one.

I gave up on bells years ago. You can't hear them above the traffic and, if you do use them somewhere quiet like a shared path through a park, pedestrians on hearing the bell will either scowl at you as if you had no right to be there, or leap about doing the chicken dance.

I have two audible means of warning of approach built in - a voice and the ability to whistle, plus the Hard Stare function.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 24 March, 2011, 06:10:57 pm »
I find bells usually have the desired effect on towpaths.  The British Waterways "two tings" campaign might have something to do with it.  I'll either use them from a fair distance back (which reduces the chicken effect), or before blind bends - one of the few situations I think they're genuinely useful.

Other shared use paths get the usual mixed reactions - it's pot luck whether they'll move to single file, hop about like chickens, or take offence.  I generally prefer to make obviously 'bike' noises with the brakes or gears from closer range, as that's usually seen as non-threatening (unless your brakes squeal, in which case they leap out of the way), but will use the bell before blind bends.

Voice I usually reserve for other cyclists - "passing on your right" - or horses etc.

It doesn't really matter that much anyway, as so many peds are going to miss auditory cues regardless, either through hearing loss, use of phones/music players or being distracted by their conversation.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #62 on: 24 March, 2011, 06:18:27 pm »
(unless your brakes squeal, in which case they leap out of the way)

PeterM has brakes that match the pitch of my ring-tone - someone of your talents could probably harness this effect in some way!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #63 on: 24 March, 2011, 06:31:00 pm »
I'm sure I read a post somewhere about giving up using a bell because it just makes pedestrians answer their phone...   :D

« Reply #64 on: 24 March, 2011, 06:36:10 pm »
I've had twitchers frantically grab their bird books and binoculars after hearing me ring my bell. Presumably in search of the lesser spotted bicycle bell bird... :D

I find that slowing down and freewheeling (unless I'm on fixed) does the trick. I do use those noisy Hope freehubs though.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #65 on: 24 March, 2011, 06:44:25 pm »
The bells fell off my bikes so I just say "ring ring" loudly.

« Reply #66 on: 24 March, 2011, 06:50:18 pm »
I gave up on bells years ago. You can't hear them above the traffic and, if you do use them somewhere quiet like a shared path through a park, pedestrians on hearing the bell will either scowl at you as if you had no right to be there, or leap about doing the chicken dance.

I'm with you on bells, I've come not to like them much either.  A cheery good morning or somesuch seems to work much better for me, I tend to get lovely pedestrian interactions as a result.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #67 on: 24 March, 2011, 07:05:07 pm »
A small tinkle from a distance doesn't startle a ped too much, whereas a big dong in their face is too much.

« Reply #68 on: 24 March, 2011, 07:11:47 pm »
A small tinkle from a distance doesn't startle a ped too much, whereas a big dong in their face is too much.

:o ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #69 on: 24 March, 2011, 07:12:05 pm »

TMI

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #70 on: 24 March, 2011, 07:13:16 pm »
A big dong right behind you can be a bit shocking too.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #71 on: 24 March, 2011, 07:14:03 pm »
Especially if it has a luminous nose.
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #72 on: 24 March, 2011, 07:15:05 pm »
I've tried a tinkle. - Got arrested.
I've tried a big dong in their face.  - Got arrested.  (But only after being dragged off to their place for a week)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #73 on: 24 March, 2011, 08:04:41 pm »
This post sticks in my mind as it perfectly sums up the issue:

Me: *ding* *ding*
Ped: "You should say 'Hello' or 'Excuse me!'. Ringing a bell at me is just rude."

Me: "Hello" or "Excuse me"
Ped: "You should have a bell."

Me: *ding* "Hello" *ding* "Excuse me"
Ped: *no reaction at all*

It's mainly why I avoid as much interaction with pedestrians as possible.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #74 on: 24 March, 2011, 08:17:30 pm »

Me: "Morning"
Particularly arsy ped: "You should have a bell."
Me: AIRZOUND
Me: "Like this?"
Ped: flabbergasted
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.