Author Topic: Face F"£ckj%^g Book  (Read 2226 times)

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
Face F"£ckj%^g Book
« on: 27 November, 2019, 07:45:24 pm »
I have tried several times to use face ($%£$$££"%)book but each time it kicks me out and demands personal info that I will not give before it will let me in.
I have tried opening a new account but it just says that an account exists at that address.
Is there any point trying ? Or should I just stab myself in the eye now ?
Liz

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: Face F"£ckj%^g Book
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2019, 08:05:19 pm »
Give it fake personal info.

« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2019, 10:03:36 am »
Give it fake personal info.

Are you allowed to put fake stuff on Facebook :o
Move Faster and Bake Things

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2019, 10:20:32 am »
The mic has been dropped.  Move along to another thread now  :-D :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2019, 10:39:27 am »
On Facebook I am an ex-binman with a degree in Contract Bridge.  This is not quite accurate.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2019, 10:57:48 am »
On Facebook I am a Quasi-Autonomous Unit working for Layabout, Slacker, went to skool at st custards and studied Sarcasm at the Leicester Institute of Brick-Throwing.  And it took an afternoon with Photoshop to prove my name is what I say it is.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2019, 11:26:40 am »
On Facebook I am a Quasi-Autonomous Unit working for Layabout, Slacker, went to skool at st custards and studied Sarcasm at the Leicester Institute of Brick-Throwing.  And it took an afternoon with Photoshop to prove my name is what I say it is.

You, sir, are my favourite breakfast cereal (of the ones I don't actually eat).

« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2019, 01:37:56 pm »
Just meh !

Think of all the fascist bullshit you aren't subjected to, grab a cuppa and relax.

Social media is just shit these days.

« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2019, 03:49:55 pm »
I must be doing it wrong because I don't see much bullshit of any description.  I do know it's around, should I wish to indulge.

« Reply #9 on: 03 December, 2019, 04:17:53 pm »
I suggest running it in a container so it cant track your visits to other websites. Firefox has Facebook Container to do exactly this, there will probably be equivalents to do exactly the same for other browsers.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2019, 04:42:30 pm »
I open it in an Incognito tab for this reason.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #11 on: 03 December, 2019, 05:10:09 pm »
I suggest running it in a container so it cant track your visits to other websites. Firefox has Facebook Container to do exactly this, there will probably be equivalents to do exactly the same for other browsers.

That won't stop IP address based tracking though if you're using it from a location with a static (or relatively static) IP address and a small number of users.

For example, using my mobile at home the majority of in game adverts I get on various apps are all job site related as my wife is using the same broadband connection for her HR related activities.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #12 on: 04 December, 2019, 06:54:48 am »

That won't stop IP address based tracking though if you're using it from a location with a static (or relatively static) IP address and a small number of users.

For example, using my mobile at home the majority of in game adverts I get on various apps are all job site related as my wife is using the same broadband connection for her HR related activities.

Sure but they can only correlate your IP address with the websites you or others using the same public IP are visiting f those web sites are sharing that data with Facebook via a back-end. Facebook can't pull that data from your session or browser. The only way to prevent that would be to use an anonymizing proxy to browse the web.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #13 on: 04 December, 2019, 07:40:22 am »

Sure but they can only correlate your IP address with the websites you or others using the same public IP are visiting f those web sites are sharing that data with Facebook via a back-end. Facebook can't pull that data from your session or browser. The only way to prevent that would be to use an anonymizing proxy to browse the web.

Um, yes, that's the point, the data is shared with FB via the various analytics and advertising companies that serve the adverts.

The only way to prevent that would be to use an anonymizing proxy to browse the web.

Even that may not be helpful, browsers often send or make available enough information regarding installed plugins, fonts, screen sizes, etc that you're often easily uniquely identifiable even with incognito mode and going through various proxies/VPNs. See things like https://panopticlick.eff.org/

It's a constant cat and mouse game and the advertising companies have a lot more money and resources than the people who are concerned about maintaining privacy.

What a strange game. The only way to win is not to play at all.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #14 on: 04 December, 2019, 08:32:08 am »
Discovered recently that Sir Nick of Cl*gg is Farcebook's Head of Gobular Affairs...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15 on: 04 December, 2019, 08:39:26 am »
Discovered recently that Sir Nick of Cl*gg is Farcebook's Head of Gobular Affairs...
He must have been using it in incognito mode - he got appointed in the back end of 2018.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 04 December, 2019, 12:46:53 pm »
Um, yes, that's the point, the data is shared with FB via the various analytics and advertising companies that serve the adverts.

And every "Like us on Facebook" icon on the web.

ian

« Reply #17 on: 04 December, 2019, 01:02:58 pm »

What a strange game. The only way to win is not to play at all.

This really. I'm not so bothered about my privacy but I am bothered about the activities of FB. If you're using them, you're funding them.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 04 December, 2019, 08:07:43 pm »
:like:

(I may need to get some detail from you of how to do this (I just want to change my name on there, but I suspect the solution will be similar ).)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #19 on: 06 December, 2019, 05:23:17 pm »
And every "Like us on Facebook" icon on the web.
That's the point of the Firefox container addon, it blocks those "Like us on Facebook" buttons.