Author Topic: Repeating Roads  (Read 5697 times)

Re: Repeating Roads
« Reply #25 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:54:25 pm »
It would be hard to make such a ride add up to 200km. Especially if you're not allowed to repeat roads.

Looks like you can get it over with in 15.9 km and then go and ride somewhere nice.

(after another 30 km slogging through diesel fug to get out)

« Reply #26 on: 13 April, 2021, 07:35:09 pm »
Wonder if anyone has done a DIY based on Monopoly roads ...

It would be hard to make such a ride add up to 200km. Especially if you're not allowed to repeat roads.

You’d be able to include extra roads as long as you get the core ones in.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 13 April, 2021, 07:48:51 pm »
"Go to jail" might make it difficult to get round in the time limit. Unless you have a get out of jail free card.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #28 on: 13 April, 2021, 07:50:44 pm »
The Thread Police will get you, even if the Monopoly police station doesnt

« Reply #29 on: 13 April, 2021, 08:19:03 pm »

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #30 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:14:43 pm »
You can have an out and back route.  You can also have events that have a figure of 8, although I believe the Faccombe 100 was frowned upon because it consisted of elaborate twists and turns to keep it in an audaciously hilly part of the Wiltshire-Berkshire-Hampshire border (2250m ascent in 100km of southern softy territory) meant it never went more than about 12km from the start/finish point. 

I had a go, winding down from a long day at work and you could sort of squeeze something like this in (very rough and ready and without any checking to see if the roads/cycle paths are viable) https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35695676.  I've been doing rides with this sort of pattern through lockdown and now UK rules are easing want to do anything but a route like this  :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #31 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:47:56 pm »
Isle of Wight 200 no repeats:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35695834

If I can make a 300 then a 600 could be done using the each direction rule.

(Wight is smaller than Texel but has far more people and roads)

(and hills!)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #32 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:59:55 pm »
When I altered a figure of 8 route to avoid repeating a road and added 20k to the distance my friendly local DIY organizer sent an e-mail back saying something along the lines of "the repeating roads stuff is internet bullshit, it's doing laps that's not allowed"

So from that I took:
Repeat roads are ok, provided it's not laps, exactly when a repeat road becomes a lap is down to interpretation of the person who will be validating the DIY or approving the route for an event, therefore if in doubt, ask them.

AUK regs, open to interpretation since 2000*.
* Apparently

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #33 on: 14 April, 2021, 02:07:06 pm »
It's ancient history but AUK (and ACP too) used to sanction events consisting of multiple repeats of a short ultra-hilly circuit.  There was one in Yorkshire with 5 laps, something similar in Derbyshire, and one in Surrey where the circuit was a bit shorter and so required 7 laps.

I think that basic answer to end all answers is that you can do any section of road in both directions - but you may do either or both directions only once.

The case that's usually cited that breaks that convention is the road to Dolgellau YH, used out-and-back twice each on the Welsh 600.

It's all down to muddled thinking as to "what is audax for?" - apparently it's not all about doing the distance, there is also the element of touring and discovery ('boldness') - but in that case I thinkA to B events (such as Paris-Roubaix) should carry more kudos than mere A to A circuits or even A-B-A out-and-backs such as PBP.  One of the earliest recorded such events was Paris-Harrogate, 800km, in 1978, with over 100 entries.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #34 on: 14 April, 2021, 02:13:51 pm »
When I altered a figure of 8 route to avoid repeating a road and added 20k to the distance my friendly local DIY organizer sent an e-mail back saying something along the lines of "the repeating roads stuff is internet bullshit, it's doing laps that's not allowed"

I thought it was in one of the various versions of the regulations and/or rider/organiser handbooks, but a quick squiz doesn't find it.

« Reply #35 on: 14 April, 2021, 02:23:52 pm »
Seems to be 7.1.2, linked by Ajax Bay, above.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #36 on: 14 April, 2021, 02:25:31 pm »
The regulation 7.1.2 linked upthread shows that it is an advice, rather than a hard Regulation, and is discretionary - "would not normally be approved".
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #37 on: 14 April, 2021, 03:09:55 pm »
I suppose the Mersey 24 is an example of an event that breaks the rules. Kind of.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #38 on: 14 April, 2021, 03:13:18 pm »
Except that the M24 isn't an AUK event, it's an event for which you can claim AUK points ...

« Reply #39 on: 14 April, 2021, 03:15:23 pm »
Wonder if anyone has done a DIY based on Monopoly roads ...

Kristof Allegaert from Belgium has done a Monopoly-ride in 2015. He started at his home town Kortrijk and did 22 towns according the Belgian version of Monopoly. Around 850K in 34 hrs. Not really audax though.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #40 on: 14 April, 2021, 05:11:17 pm »
The regulation 7.1.2 linked upthread shows that it is an advice, rather than a hard Regulation, and is discretionary - "would not normally be approved".
It also clearly states same circuit, not same section of road.  So 50km loops where the first 5km is common would be absolutely fine.  But 50km loops which share 45km, but have a small deviation somewhere would fall under "don't take the piss"

Eddington  127miles, 170km

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #41 on: 14 April, 2021, 05:14:55 pm »
Except that the M24 isn't an AUK event, it's an event for which you can claim AUK points ...

Well, yes - that's why I said 'kind of'. But it still serves to indicate that, as FF says, it's not a hard and fast rule.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #42 on: 14 April, 2021, 05:49:59 pm »
Seems to be 7.1.2, linked by Ajax Bay, above.

That’s about loops. I meant the bit about minimising/avoiding repeats. Sure I’ve read it somewhere semi-official.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #43 on: 14 April, 2021, 06:02:33 pm »

Well, yes - that's why I said 'kind of'. But it still serves to indicate that, as FF says, it's not a hard and fast rule.
The MR24 is hard and fast, though ;)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #44 on: 14 April, 2021, 06:13:52 pm »
(Not necessarily fast.)

« Reply #45 on: 14 April, 2021, 06:29:40 pm »
That’s about loops. I meant the bit about minimising/avoiding repeats. Sure I’ve read it somewhere semi-official.

The Organiser's Handbook states "Routes may NOT include multiple passes over the same circuit (i.e. repeated loops)."
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #46 on: 14 April, 2021, 07:01:06 pm »
I think that basic answer to end all answers is that you can do any section of road in both directions - but you may do either or both directions only once.

The case that's usually cited that breaks that convention is the road to Dolgellau YH, used out-and-back twice each on the Welsh 600.
We really should make them leave by the back lane to the South. (it would only add a few metres distance)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #47 on: 14 April, 2021, 07:09:16 pm »

Is it a motorway? If you rode the M25 that’s be a single loop.

« Reply #48 on: 14 April, 2021, 07:26:57 pm »
The Organiser's Handbook states "Routes may NOT include multiple passes over the same circuit (i.e. repeated loops)."

That’s still about repeating the same loop. Not about reusing roads in general.

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #49 on: 14 April, 2021, 09:02:10 pm »
Especially if people add comments that are utterly irrelevant and in no way helpful to the original question
Surely this is the raison d'etre for some forums :)