Author Topic: Frikkin' hover bikes!  (Read 1528 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Frikkin' hover bikes!
« on: 24 August, 2012, 09:30:29 pm »
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: Frikkin' hover bikes!
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2012, 09:37:49 pm »
This is bad.

When enough rich folk have these things, they'll stop fixing the roads, and cycling will be impossible.

Of course, I will want to be rich by then.

But I won't be.

So burn the hover bike!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2012, 09:43:57 pm »
When enough rich folk have these things, they'll stop fixing the roads, and cycling will be impossible.

Where we're going, we won't need roads...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. But these look awesome. I hope the trickle-down element of technology means that when the rich kids and dotcom founders all have these, I'll be able to afford a Segway.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2012, 10:39:21 pm »
Looks fun, but disappointing that it's just two big fans pushing air, rather than an anti-gravity engine powered by zero-point energy.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2012, 10:51:26 pm »
I need one, a silver loincloth, and paraffin to set my beard on fire.  Playa here I come! 8)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2012, 10:51:55 pm »
Looks fun, but disappointing that it's just two big fans pushing air, rather than an anti-gravity engine powered by zero-point energy.

Swing the fan alignment around, and they have the makings of one of the vehicles in the Unreal Tournament 3 shooter game:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2009/04/unreal_tournament_3_manta.png
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2012, 10:52:37 pm »
Why are they going so slow??? Faster rarrrrrrr!!!

« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2012, 11:05:02 pm »
Why are they going so slow??? Faster rarrrrrrr!!!

Quote from: BoingBoing
For safety reasons, they've tested it at 30 mph and 15 feet high, although earlier versions of it went as fast as a helicopter.

Mind you, "as fast as a helicopter" covers quite a range of speeds - typical civilian whirlybirds do around 120-130mph, but the real speed merchant is the Westland Lynx, which is good for 200mph. On 11 August 1986 the specially-modified company demo model set an absolute speed record for helicopters over a 15 and 25 km course by reaching 400.87 km/h (249.09 mph); an official record it currently holds.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

red marley

« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2012, 11:05:42 pm »
One day, they might be able to build a mahoosive one that could carry loads of people all at the same time. Perhaps all the way to the Isle of Wight and back.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2012, 11:17:40 pm »
That's it - just a hovercraft that's lost its skirt.

I came back from France once on a hovercraft when the sea conditions were borderline no-go... great fun!

fuzzy

« Reply #10 on: 05 September, 2012, 11:48:29 am »
Yeahbut, my commute is up a gert big hill. Can the hoverbike go up hill? It looks like elevating the front of the machine brings it to a halt/ sends it in reverse?

OWOOT anyway :thumbsup:

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #11 on: 06 September, 2012, 12:35:44 pm »
2 things spring to mind.

1) You say cheerio to beating traffic.

2) Imagine all those hipster chaps and yummie mummies enjoying their café lattés on lovely wooden-slatted chairs, outside the Café on pavements quietly ignoring the fumes from vehicles when… up blams one of those machines! 
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex