Author Topic: smart battery charger recommendation for AA, AAA, C, D and 9V  (Read 1983 times)

smart battery charger recommendation for AA, AAA, C, D and 9V
« on: 23 November, 2019, 01:52:22 pm »
Current Ansmann Energy 8 (non-smart) charger just failed after being knocked on the floor. Power input sheared off internally and it's not easily fixable and mains voltage parts are no longer secured properly. New charger required.

Requirements:-
* Mains powered
* Can charge at least 4 batteries (AAA/AA/C/D) at a time a well as a couple of 9V batteries
* Smart functionality (i.e. ability to charge/discharge/test/refresh batteries and give details of individual batteries) for the AA/AAA batteries (and ideally for the C/D/9V but not absolutely necessary)
* Has to be safe to leave the batteries in the charger for weeks on end

Doesn't have to have the smart functionality for the 9V batteries (although it would be nice) as they generally get installed singly and so individual capacity is less of a problem. So the solution might just be a smart charger for the AA/AAA batteries (like the Technoline BL700N) and then a dumb(er) charger, I think I have one somewhere, for the D/9V batteries but it has to be one that I can just leave the batteries in (like my old Ansmann Energy 8).

Any ideas?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Re: smart battery charger recommendation for AA, AAA, C, D and 9V
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2019, 02:56:19 pm »
I have, none of them cover the requirement for D and 9V cells, hence the new thread.

Not helped by the fact that many people just post links to Amazon or eBay with no description of the brand or model number, and those amazon/eBay links are long dead.

« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2019, 04:54:09 pm »
Youshiko YC6000 would cover everything except 9V.

Was thinking about one myself as my Technoline BL700 has a few faults with it now (only 3 working channels, missing LCD segments, and charge function only working). It also does 18650 batteries etc which are common now.

Manufacturers website - Youshiko YC6000

Cheaper from Amazon

Amazon - Youshiko YC6000

It has intelligent function so will sense when a battery is fully charged and reduce to trickle charge but whether you'd want to leave any battery charger unattended for weeks is another matter.

« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2019, 02:23:30 pm »
Interesting one above, but I wanted 9V charging too (smoke detectors and a small portable radio) so I've taken a cheap punt on this:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Smart-Battery-Charger-for-Ni-MH-AA-AAA-9V-Li-ion-18650-26650-20700-LiFePO4/163918043469

I can't provide any reliable info about it as there's no discernible branding and seem to be offered by a whole load of random eBay sellers, so this does not fill me with confidence.

[EDIT] TOOGOO-BTY-V407 seems to be one of the brands/models. Googling for BTY-V407 gives a variety of different brand names that are rebadgeing this.

It certainly won't be left on unattended, I may even open it up to check on its build quality, HV/LV separation, etc.

Would still prefer recommendations for trustworthy smart chargers that can do 9V batteries too. Here's the only one I've found so far that fits the criteria (and from a well known manufacturer): https://www.ansmann.de/en/battery-chargers/powerline-5-pro but it only fits one 9V battery at a time (available for ~£40 if you search around).

« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2019, 04:12:26 pm »
Well the eBay one never turned up so I've started an eBay dispute about that, got some waffle from the seller saying they were "just talking to the courier" which is almost certainly rubbish. The original "despatch" notification claimed it was being sent by Royal Mail but the tracking number looked nothing like a normal RM tracking nos. I don't want the item so I'll just wait for it to time out (26th December I think) and then force a refund.

In the mean time I saw the Ansmann Powerline 5 Pro was for sale on CPC/Farnell (which has much better reputation) for £40, ordered it and it was delivered in just a couple of days. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet but it should most of what I need (only one 9V charging slot rather than the two I'd have preferred) and I can start the long boring process of charging/testing each of my cells and recycling the ones that are old and tired.

« Reply #5 on: 31 December, 2019, 04:28:36 pm »
Well the eBay one never turned up so I've started an eBay dispute about that, got some waffle from the seller saying they were "just talking to the courier" which is almost certainly rubbish. The original "despatch" notification claimed it was being sent by Royal Mail but the tracking number looked nothing like a normal RM tracking nos. I don't want the item so I'll just wait for it to time out (26th December I think) and then force a refund.

Got a refund and then it turned up on Christmas Eve (I ordered it near the end of November). Will contact the vendor and return it (don't mind doing so at my expense) but it looks like it's from some Ecommerce remailing service based on Manchester (ETS based at 49a Derby Street, M8 8HF).

Meanwhile I need to get a replacement of the Ansmann Powerline 5 Pro charger from CPC/Farnell as the spring has gone in one of the channels so it can only do 3 cells at a time. Working well otherwise, surprised at how well some batteries have come back (one of the 2000mAh Energizer rechargeables I've had for 15 years has managed to get nearly 1800mAh back in it using the Charge/Discharge Refresh mode).