Author Topic: Petrol Lawn Mower help  (Read 9126 times)

Rapples

Re: Petrol Lawn Mower help
« Reply #25 on: 13 April, 2010, 10:02:31 am »
My life's ambition has always been to own a garden big enough to justify buying a ride on mower.  Still dreaming

Believe me, once you get their your life ambition will change to being able to afford a gardener to sit on it ;D

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #26 on: 17 April, 2010, 04:57:26 pm »
I used to love mowing the lawn at my parents house and kinda miss it - haven't had a lawn for looong time :(
Next time you're in Essex let me know!  I'll even let it grow for a few weeks beforehand!  :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #27 on: 17 April, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »
My life's ambition has always been to own a garden big enough to justify buying a ride on mower.  Still dreaming

Mine too, well almost.   I would like a garden big enough to grow all my veg and lots of fruit too.   

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #28 on: 17 April, 2010, 05:07:36 pm »
We used to have a really nice garden and lawns. But the gardener died about three years ago and we've been attempting to DIY since then. So now, it's a jungle and, if he could see the "lawn", Albert would be spinning in his grave.

We're going to have to either find a new gardener[1] or move house to somewhere with a manageable garden. While mowing is rewarding in the sense described by 1gear, I'm a bit fed up with spending all of most summer weekends doing it.

[1] Expensive. Previous gardener sort of came with the house and seemed to have wage expectations dating from circa 1953.

« Reply #29 on: 17 April, 2010, 06:25:21 pm »
My lawn mower is more powerful than the OP's.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #30 on: 17 April, 2010, 06:34:45 pm »
My lawn mower is more powerful than the OP's.

Mines red, mine will be faster.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #31 on: 19 April, 2010, 09:15:05 am »
I has a new lawn mower ! The old one died after 14 years. The engine was fine (Briggs and Stratton) but the deck had rusted through. A friend was going to patch it up but it would have been more like replacing half of it. Coincidentally my dad has decided that he needs a self powered mower now as his back isn't so good any more and turned up yesterday out of the blue with his nearly new push petrol lawnmower as a gift for me. Best thing he has given me since he bought me a train set 35 years ago :) Thanks dad much appreciated. It did pain me to take a perfectly good engine to the tip though. I wonder if they send them to the third world to get bodged onto something or they just melt them down.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #32 on: 19 April, 2010, 12:58:35 pm »
Should have kept the engine and looked for a shell of a lawnmower whats engine has gone and shoved it onto there. Must be some about.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #33 on: 19 April, 2010, 01:07:22 pm »
I have the deck and handle of a Hayterette mower, for when the deck of one of my mowers fails. The Hayerette mower decks are cast aluminium.

I have patched up mower decks before, but by the time holes have rusted through, there is not usually much metal left to weld to and you end up with bigger holes where you've tried to weld.  >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...