Author Topic: routes in majorca  (Read 5626 times)

Euan Uzami

routes in majorca
« on: 28 June, 2010, 06:53:32 pm »
looking for anybody's recommendations on good road rides round majorca please.
I understand from google terrain view that all the mountains are along the north west edge of the island?
ARe there public transport options you can use to take a bike on to maximise riding/eliminate boring roads etc.?

also what constitutes a motorway in majorca/where should one avoid cycling?

am staying in port de pollenca.

thanks

Re: routes in majorca
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2010, 10:07:11 pm »
I spent a great week cycling in Mallorca with Naggers and Phil Malcolm back in 2006 (?) I think. I can't recall the routes we did, but they involved hills in the north west of the island.

Naggers, ping?

« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2010, 10:08:41 pm »
Steve GT was in Mallorca recently, but you'll have to wait for him to get back from the Marmotte!

« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2010, 10:27:38 pm »

ARe there public transport options you can use to take a bike on to maximise riding/eliminate boring roads etc.?

From Puerto Pollensa it is only 3-4km to Pollensa and the start of the Ma10 and that has hairpins after only a few more km. You won't need to transport your bike to find interesting roads, you will need to worry about being properly warmed up.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

cometworm

« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2010, 10:41:39 pm »
Soller to Pollensa is a lovely ride, over some proper-ish mountains (1400m if I recall correctly, which makes it a proper mountain by British standards!).

I remember the roads being wide and the shoulder clear enough to cycle on - really only needed to avoid the actual motorways.

« Reply #5 on: 28 June, 2010, 10:53:59 pm »
There are so many cyclists on the ma10 that drivers know to expect it and, as Cometworm says, the road is plenty wide enough with good shoulders. There are a fair few coaches though which need a bit more space for comfort.

As for motorways, the ma13 which goes between Palma and Alcudia is motorway for most of it but it has the old road running parallel.

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2010, 12:58:58 pm »
We stayed in Puerto Pollensa too.

First day we went East along the coast and then inland a bit to some small villages.
Puerto Pollensa - Alcudia - Arta - Sant Llorenc - Manacor - Santa Margalida -Muro -Sa Pobla - Pollensa - Puerto Pollensa.

Second day we went West up the mountain road to Lluc Monestry and then down to a little coast town at Sa Calobra which is a little closer than Port de Soller.
That was a right proper climb back up after lunch!

Third day was up the far NorthEast headland along the MA 2210 to the Lighthouse at Cap de Formentor.

Fourth day I just went for a pootle round the villages near Muro and Sa Pobla while Peli had got up stupidly early and went up to the Lluc Monestry again and then up to Puig Major.

Can't remember the mileages we did each day but none of it was stupid.

Was late March so needed a couple of extra layers and hat and gloves for the decending.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #7 on: 29 June, 2010, 03:41:13 pm »
We stayed in Puerto Pollensa too.

First day we went East along the coast and then inland a bit to some small villages.
Puerto Pollensa - Alcudia - Arta - Sant Llorenc - Manacor - Santa Margalida -Muro -Sa Pobla - Pollensa - Puerto Pollensa.

Second day we went West up the mountain road to Lluc Monestry and then down to a little coast town at Sa Calobra which is a little closer than Port de Soller.
That was a right proper climb back up after lunch!

Third day was up the far NorthEast headland along the MA 2210 to the Lighthouse at Cap de Formentor.

Fourth day I just went for a pootle round the villages near Muro and Sa Pobla while Peli had got up stupidly early and went up to the Lluc Monestry again and then up to Puig Major.

Was late March so needed a couple of extra layers and hat and gloves for the decending.

excellent, thanks  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2010, 09:07:05 pm »
Hi
Puerto Pollensa is an excellent base. :thumbsup:  I've been there two years running now and ride every day.  There is no need to ever the same route twice, and no need for public transport

See this link  Cycling in the Majorcan Sun for some routes planned by Roy Gardiner one of the regular ride leaders, I am sure he won't mind.

Enjoy :)

« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2010, 08:52:38 pm »
You can get the train from Sa Pobla to Palma (timetables online). You can change partway and go to the south of the island. Get a good map and you'll be able to follow the back roads. There are specific cycle routes marked. The North and North west is where the big climbs are (Orient, Soller) but there are plenty of rolling roads down to Arta and Cala d'Or etc

« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2010, 09:13:05 pm »
When are you going? We are staying in Pollenca for a couple of weeks at the end of Aug with my family, and I know my brother is planning on hiring a road bike for a few days' pottering around the area.

The road to Formentor is winding, steep and spectacular, with a nice beach at the end of it, if you fancy something scary. Driving along it gave me palpitations (I'm not good with steep drops...)

Does anyone know if helmets are compulsory in Spain?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2010, 11:00:05 pm »
When are you going? We are staying in Pollenca for a couple of weeks at the end of Aug with my family, and I know my brother is planning on hiring a road bike for a few days' pottering around the area.

The road to Formentor is winding, steep and spectacular, with a nice beach at the end of it, if you fancy something scary. Driving along it gave me palpitations (I'm not good with steep drops...)

Does anyone know if helmets are compulsory in Spain?

i'm going 24-31 aug. up for meeting up with you and.or your bro for a ride if you like.

don't think helmets are compulsory but might be wrong, thought it was just oz and NZ.

fine with perilous bits as long as more than a foot wide, unlike some mtb trails  ;) :o.

« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2010, 11:05:19 pm »

don't think helmets are compulsory but might be wrong, thought it was just oz and NZ.

They are sort of. There are exceptions though, in built up areas, when it is very hot, riding up steep climbs, or for pro-racers. I'm not sure on the detail of those.

« Reply #13 on: 02 July, 2010, 03:58:07 pm »
William Sichel, International Ultra Distance Runner from Sanday, Orkney.

Some useful routes here.

Helmets - are required by law, but widely ignored. Not required in built up areas and can be removed on long climbs.

It will be bl....y hot in the day when you are there. Most of the locals go out early morning.

Tollo's bar on the sea front, between the island and the turn for the Pollensa Park Hotel, is owned by a cyclist (Tollo, obviously). There is a bash that goes out from the bar early mornings (may not in high summer though) - but it is a bash, and there are "local rules" - I suggest you ask for an invitation and then sit on the back until you work out who is allowed to attack etc. Good, friendly run though.

Probike hire is also a very helpful shop for repairs etc in Puerto Pollensa.

« Reply #14 on: 02 July, 2010, 11:30:01 pm »

Oi. I did a 100 miler on the day you lazed about.  :P