Author Topic: Your turbo set-up  (Read 3958 times)

Maladict

Your turbo set-up
« on: 11 April, 2008, 01:19:36 am »
Mine's in the middle of the kitchen.  I've set up a little shrine on the dinner table to look at; in the centre is my laptop, to the left and right are some cheapo PC speakers.  The purchase of a Slingbox allows me to watch the telly (e.g. stuff I recorded on Sky+ previously) whilst I bash away at the pedals.  To the right is a fan sat on the table to blow some air at me.  I think I will need a bigger fan in the summer.

How do you entertain yourself on the turbo?

alan

Re: Your turbo set-up
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2008, 05:02:36 am »
Mine's  in the garage.
I use an ipod with in-ear phones & for excitement either watch the wood warp or the paint dry.
Actually I find that the lack of distractions allows it to be quality thinking time for issues such as
do I believe in God
will my business survive the best attempts of my clients to severe my cash flow

« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2008, 07:16:04 am »
Wedged between the crapper and the bathroom wall. Entertainment consists of iPod and potential for scaring the cat or hearing Ms P grumbling because she can't pee.

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2008, 07:43:36 am »
in the garage, with an ipod & speakers for amusement.  I need to get a fan. 

alan

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2008, 08:42:52 am »
hearing Ms P grumbling because she can't pee.
That is an unfortunate medical condition.
You could be kindandconsiderate by getting her one of those mooncup things ;)

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2008, 12:22:54 pm »
I think I will need a bigger fan in the summer.

Why do you need to use the turbo in the summer?  I find the damn thing unbearable enough in the winter, but in summer I either ride a real bike in the fresh air, or I don't ride at all.

Andrew

« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2008, 12:30:30 pm »
Why do you need to use the turbo in the summer?

Programmable interval training.
Accurate power/training data.
Specific training (i.e. 30km hillclimbs) that can't be done in SW London (winter or summer).

Haven't got mine yet but it's looking like it'll have to go in the shed. It'll make too much noise for the downstairs neighbours if I do it inside.

But yes, the vast majority of my riding will be on the road, regardless of season. But I'll still want to do targeted training, or performance analysis, throughout the year.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2008, 12:54:08 pm »
In the living room in front of the telly, with a big floor fan stopping me melting into a pool of  goo and the laptop perched on the tri-bars. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2008, 02:16:13 pm »
In the Sheds.  iPod for entertainment, but the fan migrated to the bedroom two years ago.  This will give an indication of how frequently it gets used...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2008, 05:24:21 pm »
In the garage.  I have a fan and a cheapo mp3 player with headphones.  Other accessory: a towel

« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2008, 07:49:59 am »
My iMagic setup is in the shed with ipod (plus big amp and speakers for thumping tunes) and large floor-standing fan.

The big fan is an upgrade - I used to use two 12in desk fans, but they couldn't cut it for doing intense interval sessions in August  :P

Neil