Author Topic: PBP2015 - Notes to Self for 2019  (Read 32817 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: PBP2015 - Notes to Self for 2019
« Reply #75 on: 05 September, 2015, 12:25:00 pm »
Given how many support vehicles were on the course this year, do you really think so?

I do have 'a dog in this fight'. I have an outward-bound sign from every PBP I've ridden and would be disappointed to have to stop collecting them during future PBPs.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #76 on: 05 September, 2015, 12:28:31 pm »
They also complained about the number of signs taken as souvenirs in this area while they were still needed.

A pox on those self-centred souvenir-hunters, I say.

Huh?

There were people still riding to Brest a long time after I returned from there.

« Reply #77 on: 05 September, 2015, 12:31:27 pm »

They also complained about the number of signs taken as souvenirs in this area while they were still needed. Anyone notice cyclists on their way to Brest going the wrong way on the main road leaving Carhaix?

Actually, Jacques (and continuing off topic), are there any signs still kicking about? I didn't manage to grab any this edition :(

« Reply #78 on: 05 September, 2015, 12:41:19 pm »

They also complained about the number of signs taken as souvenirs in this area while they were still needed. Anyone notice cyclists on their way to Brest going the wrong way on the main road leaving Carhaix?

Actually, Jacques (and continuing off topic), are there any signs still kicking about? I didn't manage to grab any this edition :(

We grabbed a couple when we returned from Paris. I'll save one & give it to you on the next PBP :)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #79 on: 05 September, 2015, 12:44:38 pm »
they were giving out signs (as a tray for food) at arrivee. one american was upset that he carried a nicked sign for the last 300k while he could just have it handed to him at arrivee.. :facepalm: ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #80 on: 05 September, 2015, 12:45:28 pm »
There were people still riding to Brest a long time after I returned from there.

We collected our outward-bound signs a fair bit closer to Paris than that. As I said, we hadn't seen anybody outward-bound for quite a while.

« Reply #81 on: 05 September, 2015, 12:51:25 pm »
Because we are nice people and don't care two hoots whether the sign says out or back, we collected our signs on our ride back to the ferry on Friday.  That way, nobody needed them.  Our peloton of four looked brilliant with our arrows suspended from saddle bags.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #82 on: 05 September, 2015, 01:31:43 pm »
 O:-) I didn't dare collect a sign, because :

A. I'm Golden Balls
B. I saw the results of pissing with the signs first hand and luckily I had a Garminograph on.
C. I saw someone on the ride with a Brest, a Paris and a Control sign and called him a Cnut for doing it.

and

D. I thought LWaB would give me a special seeing too, if I did. And I don't want a Special Seeing Too from LWaB

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #83 on: 05 September, 2015, 01:37:46 pm »
Find a loo somewhere before Brest control.

Quite.

I got there at 8pm on the Monday night and was surprised (or words to that effect) that there was only one toliet cublicle available with a 6 person queue outside.  ???

By chance, I found that there were plenty of toliets on floor 2 and 4 of the 'dorm' block - at least until the 2nd floor was flooded out in the morning.  :facepalm:

This PBP, I only entered the Vedette group because I had to get back to Blighty on the Thursday. I am very tempted to go for the 90hr group next tie and go for the cafe food option.

H

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #84 on: 05 September, 2015, 01:39:18 pm »
O:-) I didn't dare collect a sign, because :

A. I'm Golden Balls
B. I saw the results of pissing with the signs first hand and luckily I had a Garminograph on.
C. I saw someone on the ride with a Brest, a Paris and a Control sign and called him a Cnut for doing it.

and

D. I thought LWaB would give me a special seeing too, if I did. And I don't want a Special Seeing Too from LWaB

PBP officials were handing them out at the Velodrome (the Brest signs) when I finished.

H

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #85 on: 05 September, 2015, 01:51:41 pm »
PBP officials were handing them out at the Velodrome (the Brest signs) when I finished.

H

They may have all gone by the time us 90hr folk finished.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #86 on: 05 September, 2015, 04:13:27 pm »
Notes to self:
1. Don't dick around at Brest.
2. Lube your nipples.*
3. Don't dick around at Brest.

*On the gear and brake cables - keep your minds out of the gutter!
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #87 on: 05 September, 2015, 04:42:25 pm »
1. If riding fixed don't get grumpy in the first ~200 km when you are dropped on the downhills by every group.

2. If riding fixed don't wait until the 1,000 km mark before applying bum cream.

3. Bring a lightweight hi vis jacket so you don't have to use the official PBP gilet (when I left Mortagne au Perche at 10 pm on the Wednesday evening it was around 16 / 17 °C and I was seriously overheating in the gilet and had to stop for more water).
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #88 on: 05 September, 2015, 05:15:15 pm »

8. Tandems. Tuck the FUCK in, and hold on tight. NEVER. EVER, waste a tandem tow. If they're going just that bit too fast for you, work that bit too hard to stay the fuck on, because overall, they WILL save you energy, and time. Don't box them in on the descents, tuck the fuck in behind, and hold on tight. Next climb, take the time (there could be a lot!) to get your breath back, take in the surroundings, and admire the backside of the stoker.

Oh yes !  I had a great time tandem surfing.  Then I got greedy and tried to catch myself a triplet but that was a failure so I went back and helped myself to another couple of portions of tandems.

Bairn Again

« Reply #89 on: 05 September, 2015, 06:36:34 pm »

I saw the same guy (or another who had done the same) during the event near Villaines on the return and gave him a sustained verbal barrage. 

IMHO any rider (or whose registered support team) is in possession of an event arrow - during or after the event - should be instantly disqualified.  It cant be policed to the last detail but the deterrent should be sufficiently severe to act as such.     

There were so many valiant out-of-time riders (who were still riding P-B-P the same as the rest of us) who may have needed those arrows. 

« Reply #90 on: 05 September, 2015, 06:46:50 pm »

8. Tandems. Tuck the FUCK in, and hold on tight. NEVER. EVER, waste a tandem tow.

On the other hand there's a story from Dave C, who was a great friend of Rocco's and moved to Quimper when he retired. Come the 2003 PBP he decided to greet old friends whom he hadn't seen for a years by parking his campervan on the Roc, and setting up table and chairs with coffee and cake.  Along came Rocco, steaming along behind a tandem.  Dave greeted him and indicated the comestibles.  Rocco shouted – Hello Dave sorry can't stop got a wheel to follow, and was gone.  Dave, relating the story, said – Sad, really.

simonp

« Reply #91 on: 05 September, 2015, 07:23:22 pm »
I think some signs were missing as I approached Tintineac on the return. It was a bit disconcerting as I thought I might be off route. We got some from a skip at the finish in 2011 but I won't take them from the route.

« Reply #92 on: 05 September, 2015, 07:30:43 pm »
I think some signs were missing as I approached Tintineac on the return. It was a bit disconcerting as I thought I might be off route. We got some from a skip at the finish in 2011 but I won't take them from the route.

Last time I rode fixed, in 1999, I got lost because of missing signs.  I spent some time wandering 'in the general direction' in the dark, until a distant line of red lights appeared a few fields away and I found my way back to the route.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #93 on: 05 September, 2015, 07:52:59 pm »
IMHO any rider (or whose registered support team) is in possession of an event arrow - during or after the event - should be instantly disqualified.   

Can you guess what my response to you might be?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #94 on: 05 September, 2015, 07:57:57 pm »
i spoke to one rider at arrivee, he said he got lost six times - some of them at night because of his light with a cut-off beam not reaching the signs attached to houses walls ~2m high, some because of missing arrow signs in the daylight.

i had two gps's with me - very reassuring, and recommend that to others for peace of mind.

Bairn Again

« Reply #95 on: 05 September, 2015, 08:31:56 pm »
i spoke to one rider at arrivee, he said he got lost six times.... some because of missing arrow signs in the daylight.

yup, taking PBP Arrows is the ultimate in selfishness.   

Removing an arrow benefits only one person, leaving it might - just might - benefit nobody, but could (and probably will) benefit far far more. 

« Reply #96 on: 05 September, 2015, 08:33:29 pm »
Rocco used to wax lyrical about tandem taxis for the decent of the Roc.  The only time that our tandem did taxi service to solos in 1999 was to a bunch of short of time vedettes to the penultimate control - they needed all the help they could get given we had started off from the 84 hour group and had to repair the tandem three times, plus borrow a rear wheel.

This time around, Rufus the tandem trike started off slow, could be something to do with his left hand wheel having 10 spokes unwittingly snipped in half.  Then we kind of got our act together.  On the way out solos did seem to want to attached themselves to us until they saw the way Rufus cornered.  On the return we spent a lot of time passing solos on climbs.  Most of the time to stay with Rufus on descents solos needed to be able to travel at round about 60kph.  No mega descents though as we didn't get to 79kph, Rufus' all time best.

Note to other riders - please give tandem trikes and trikes the room they need to perform their in ride acrobatics.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #97 on: 05 September, 2015, 08:34:51 pm »

We collected our outward-bound signs a fair bit closer to Paris than that. As I said, we hadn't seen anybody outward-bound for quite a while.

On my way back, (90hr group) I picked up an out-bound sign just after Tinteniac, having not seen anyone coming the other way since before Loudeac.  On Thursday evening, I got to Senonches, where I was staying for a few days, and spotted some return signs.  I decided to leave them there just in case anyone was still on the way back but they were gone first thing the next day when I returned with pliers!

PS - agree about the return arrows around Tinteniac.  There were definitely some missing very early on Wednesday morning
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #98 on: 05 September, 2015, 08:38:52 pm »
IMHO any rider (or whose registered support team) is in possession of an event arrow - during or after the event - should be instantly disqualified.   

Can you guess what my response to you might be?

Yes, I reckon it'll be something along the lines of......."Are you trying to spoil my bloody collection, or what ?"

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #99 on: 05 September, 2015, 09:02:59 pm »
I make very, very sure that the arrows I take are not required by somebody else. If you don't like it, you can insert and swivel.