Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333435 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #75 on: 30 January, 2012, 10:40:23 pm »
Borgen

Frere
Watched the first 4 eps. Not impressed.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #76 on: 01 February, 2012, 08:05:15 pm »
Heston, C4, now. All about cheese.
nomnomnomnomnomnom

« Reply #77 on: 01 February, 2012, 08:10:11 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16658110

A documentary series about social workers in child protection.

Kirst, I only saw a glimpse of this.  What was the upshot for the little boy who wasn't talking and chucked toys around (just a snapshot, by the way, not a definition)?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #78 on: 01 February, 2012, 08:25:52 pm »
No, everyone does not love cheese on toast, Heston Bloominghell.  I won't be putting stilton on a chocolate biscuit either.  :sick:
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #79 on: 02 February, 2012, 05:14:52 pm »
Kirst, I only saw a glimpse of this.  What was the upshot for the little boy who wasn't talking and chucked toys around (just a snapshot, by the way, not a definition)?
Oh, get it on iPlayer, it was good. The upshot was they took the wee boy into foster care, his mother was pregnant, the dad did a runner (no great loss) and the mother gave both the kiddies up for adoption. The baby girl was adopted very quickly, the wee boy is still waiting and because of his additional needs, will probably never be adopted.

The feelings of most of us here (who do not work in child protection) was that if the dad had pissed off months before, it might have been possible to support the mother to look after her child - but any parents who don't understand it's not ok to have a child playing on a floor covered in dog shit are going to struggle.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #80 on: 02 February, 2012, 05:18:48 pm »
Thanks, Kirst, I'm just in a break at work at the moment but will try to catch it asap.  I expect I'll find it distressing but I was hoping something like that might happen from the bit I saw.  I'm also wondering if the boy might be autistic, poor little mite, although it would be perfectly understandable that he wasn't talking in circumstances like that.  Social-worker is a hell of a job.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #81 on: 02 February, 2012, 05:21:21 pm »
Heston, C4, now. All about cheese.
nomnomnomnomnomnom

very stretchy cheese at that.  He inspired me to try his version of cheese fondue - I've invited friends around on Saturday to taste/test my experiment.

« Reply #82 on: 04 February, 2012, 07:35:04 pm »
Borgen. Last two episodes :(

Frere

« Reply #83 on: 04 February, 2012, 11:03:55 pm »
Borgen. Last two episodes :(

Frere

Excellent series. Very good in showing the transition from an idealistic soon to be PM to a hardened operator of power, picking up the necessary callouses while paying a high price, as did of her principles, husband, children, friends and associates.

Frere

« Reply #84 on: 06 February, 2012, 11:05:40 pm »
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next...

Seen Gladiator loads of times, but it's still good... (on now)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #85 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:01:29 pm »
ooo Junior Doctors is on now. I love watching gore from the other side of the telly :)

« Reply #86 on: 19 February, 2012, 09:28:41 pm »
Now, Homeland on C4. Be interesting to see how this pans out.

Frere

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #87 on: 19 February, 2012, 10:09:52 pm »
We're recording Homeland to watch later. Supposed to be proper event telly à la The Wire. We also recorded Luck last night - horse racing drama written by David Milch, who did Deadwood, and starring Dustin Hoffman, which is good enough for me.

Yesterday, we watched the first ep of Friday Night Lights (drama about an American high school football team) and found it hugely enjoyable. It's cheesier than a Stilton sandwich but has great characters and is very accessible - me and my son were totally into it from the start and by the end of the episode, we were jumping on the sofa and cheering for the Panthers. Not intellectually demanding but really good telly.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #88 on: 20 February, 2012, 09:11:33 pm »
Coppers on Ch4 now.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #89 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:34:00 pm »
A new series of The Indian Doctor starting on Monday afternoon.  The first series was thoroughly enjoyable.
Aero but not dynamic

citoyen

« Reply #90 on: 06 March, 2012, 02:28:26 pm »
Saw the first in the new series of Dirk Gently last night. I was expecting to hate it but gave it a chance and very glad I did - it was hilarious, made me laugh lots.

I was planning to go to bed when it finished, but then Knuckle came on, a Storyville documentary about bareknuckle fighting and family rivalries in the Irish traveller community. I started watching and was instantly hooked. The film-maker spent 12 years following the families and the result is a thoroughly compelling piece of work. Well worth catching up on iPlayer if you missed it.

d.

LEE

« Reply #91 on: 06 March, 2012, 04:19:52 pm »
Saw the first in the new series of Dirk Gently last night. I was expecting to hate it but gave it a chance and very glad I did - it was hilarious, made me laugh lots.

I was planning to go to bed when it finished, but then Knuckle came on, a Storyville documentary about bareknuckle fighting and family rivalries in the Irish traveller community. I started watching and was instantly hooked. The film-maker spent 12 years following the families and the result is a thoroughly compelling piece of work. Well worth catching up on iPlayer if you missed it.

d.

I saw "Knuckles" as well. 

Did you see that chap with the brain-cell? 

No, neither did I.

Quite spectacularly bad fighting though, makes you appreciate how good professional boxers are really.

citoyen

« Reply #92 on: 06 March, 2012, 04:33:06 pm »
Quite spectacularly bad fighting though, makes you appreciate how good professional boxers are really.

Yes, appalling technique. Fascinating characters, though. I thought it was a brilliant insight into their way of life - unlike the truly awful Big Fat Gypsy Weddings.

d.

LEE

« Reply #93 on: 06 March, 2012, 07:54:18 pm »

Yes, appalling technique. Fascinating characters, though. I thought it was a brilliant insight into their way of life - unlike the truly awful Big Fat Gypsy Weddings.

d.

Jesus there was some brave talk from the Travellers when their opponent/sworn-enemy/1st-cousin/Uncle (usually all 4) wasn't around wasn't there?

"I'd have fekkin had the fekker if I hadn't had a bad leg/bad back/bad knee and the sun wasn't in my eyes and ..and...and...and so on"

Fabulous documentary though. 

£60,000 bets on fights!!!!

« Reply #94 on: 06 March, 2012, 09:53:31 pm »
Now watching 'Horizon - Solar Storms'. BBC at its best. Cracking stuff.
Working my way up to inferior.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #95 on: 07 March, 2012, 01:26:48 pm »
I've been watching Whitechapel. This series has seriously freaked me out, even so I love it, especially as DI Chandler is very easy on the eye.  #typicalHormonalWomanOfACertainAge

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #96 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:05:32 pm »
Now watching 'Horizon - Solar Storms'. BBC at its best. Cracking stuff.

I gave up on this after ten minutes because it was so glacially slow.  Horizon is supposed to be a SCIENCE programme, so please can we have SCIENCE rather than, say, arty footage of a professor running in the Arizona desert which had absolutely no relevance to the subject at hand >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #97 on: 10 March, 2012, 09:09:43 pm »
Our Man in the Costa's - About the British Consulate in the Costa's

« Reply #98 on: 10 March, 2012, 09:35:53 pm »
As GF is venetian, italiano night on the TV. First, Sicily Unpacked, now Montalbano.

Frere

« Reply #99 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:24:28 am »
I loved Sicily unpacked.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.