Author Topic: World Cup (for those not interested in football)  (Read 5866 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: World Cup (for those not interested in football)
« Reply #25 on: 20 June, 2014, 08:32:44 am »
Not seen a single England flag here.  I did get given a free football at Super U.  And a pump to inflate it.

I don't think I will inflate it.

It wouldn't do for it to become all pumped up.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #26 on: 20 June, 2014, 11:38:47 am »
I gather England lost, again, so hopefully they'll get knocked out soon and everybody can shut up about the football.

I was under the impression that losing twice automatically knocked you out of the World Cup. Perhaps there are some mathematical permutations of results which mean that this is not true.

Edit: having run many a chess tournament I know this not to be true.

If team A wins 3/3 but B beats C, C beats D and D beats B then a tie-break is required to find second place.

A friend of mine was explaining how some people follow the football more because of interest in the statistics than the game, but as I said that means someone is interested in statistics and numerical permutations rather than a bunch of men kicking a cow's backside around a field.

I gather there is some permutation that would allow England to go through based on how everybody else does although I suspect that, much like other tournaments, the one that scrapes through is more likely than not to encounter a strong opponent in the next round making it more likely their jubilation at "getting through" will be short lived.

Maybe the next relevant game will deliver the result that sends England home. Then we can forget about the football for a few more weeks.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #27 on: 20 June, 2014, 12:59:17 pm »
I don't know if it is just Brum, but there are very few Ingerlund flags being sported on cars this time.  Has it gone out of fashion, or are the supporters just too embarrassed to be hopeful?

Is this a possible explanation?

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #28 on: 20 June, 2014, 03:02:44 pm »
England Under 20's have just won the World Cup!  Oh, thats rugby!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #29 on: 22 June, 2014, 10:04:23 pm »
Hey ITV and BBC - there was never any real need for "updates from the England camp", and now they're out, you really should pack in the endless fucking dissection of why they're out. I don't care - there's actual football still actually happening, so can you give the dreary England shite a rest, please?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 23 June, 2014, 04:23:18 pm »
Hey ITV and BBC - there was never any real need for "updates from the England camp", and now they're out, you really should pack in the endless fucking dissection of why they're out. I don't care - there's actual football still actually happening, so can you give the dreary England shite a rest, please?
very very true. Its in every 'king match coverage.

(But shouldn't this be in the other thread ?? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #31 on: 23 June, 2014, 08:17:38 pm »
Meh. It seemed a bit out of place there, and I couldn't be bothered to start a World Cup rant thread.

« Reply #32 on: 23 June, 2014, 08:26:25 pm »
If you enjoy a bit of irony the dispatches match fixing documentary is on now and far more entertaining than watching football.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #33 on: 23 June, 2014, 09:38:03 pm »
Hey ITV and BBC - there was never any real need for "updates from the England camp", and now they're out, you really should pack in the endless fucking dissection of why they're out. I don't care - there's actual football still actually happening, so Can you give the dreary England shite a rest, please?

FTFY  ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #34 on: 28 June, 2014, 11:17:02 pm »
Was it just my imagination or did the Samsung advertising-announcement screened just after the Colombia-Uruguay game feature Christiano "No Longer Featuring In This World Cup" Ronaldo and Wayne "Also No Longer Featuring In This World Cup" Rooney?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #35 on: 29 June, 2014, 10:36:21 am »

Over the years, there's been a lot of discussion about how to make this forum and welcoming, inclusive and non-threatening place. It's nice we've done such a good job that people can post racist, sexist and body-shaming "jokes" without any anxiety about it. Well done us!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 29 June, 2014, 10:44:33 am »
Racist?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #37 on: 30 June, 2014, 11:54:39 pm »
Was it just my imagination or did the Samsung advertising-announcement screened just after the Colombia-Uruguay game feature Christiano "No Longer Featuring In This World Cup" Ronaldo and Wayne "Also No Longer Featuring In This World Cup" Rooney?

Yes.  Yes, it did.  It was shown again after normal time in the Germany-Algeria match.

"Samsung!  The 'phone for Losers!!"

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #38 on: 01 July, 2014, 12:13:55 am »
It has just occurred to me that Samsung, spelt backwards, is the main annual religious celebration for wildebeest.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #39 on: 01 July, 2014, 12:19:03 am »
It has just occurred to me that Samsung, spelt backwards, is the main annual religious celebration for wildebeest.

Cloff pliss!!

« Reply #40 on: 01 July, 2014, 10:01:40 am »

You Wowbugger, that nearly caused me to spray yogurt all over my keyboard!

« Reply #41 on: 10 July, 2014, 12:18:38 pm »
The World Cup is far too nationalistic for a globalized world. 

I'd suggest that instead of national teams we should have corporate teams, after all most domestic sides already have corporate sponsors.

Some of us would inevitably end up supporting a team of bankers.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #42 on: 15 July, 2014, 03:17:18 pm »

The difference between the England squad and a teabag.... the teabag stays in the cup for longer.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.