Author Topic: BftE or KSW 600 for May Bank Holiday  (Read 5211 times)

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
Re: BftE or KSW 600 for May Bank Holiday
« Reply #25 on: 07 December, 2010, 12:14:28 pm »
I've entered as part of my K&SW SR ambition (which reminds me I still need to enter the Avalon 400). However I read the article in arrivee and won't be taking anything for granted, as the article said, anything with 8.25 AAA points deserves respect.

Sure that's the way forward with any serious ride. It deserves respect. I generally don't think that there is much mileage (not sure if there is a pun) in this 'lets make it harder than it is' advertising strategy that seems rather common with the more commercially oriented MAMIL rides. After all, if Mal 'It's not that difficult, even I can do itTM' Volio can do it on a fixed gear, how hard can it be?
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #26 on: 07 December, 2010, 12:59:04 pm »
I'm looking forward to finding out just how different 8.25AAA points can be (compared to the 8.25 Welsh AAA points on a fixed 600 last year).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #27 on: 07 December, 2010, 01:02:27 pm »
I wrote it up for Arrivee a while back (copies available if you PM me).  It's a fab ride and I enjoyed it a lot more than the Beast, which I've also done, athough the latter is more even.  As Ian H says, the second stage is challenging (but the first is a doddle, provided you're not singled out for the attention of the notorious buzzard). If you time it right, the night section along main roads is exhilirating.  I found the last leg the hardest but that was down to poor food intake and punctures.  I'd not risk it as a PBP qualifier if you haven't done it before, but I'd say it's the most enjoyable 600 I've done.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Billy Weir

« Reply #28 on: 07 December, 2010, 03:23:55 pm »
I'm looking forward to finding out just how different 8.25AAA points can be (compared to the 8.25 Welsh AAA points on a fixed 600 last year).

Not hugely.  The KSW reminded me a bit of the scenic version of the BCM.  And both are great routes.  Epic.