Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 383314 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #2500 on: 23 June, 2021, 01:12:56 pm »
It took me much longer trying to work out a metric unit to refer to half of a minute.   I gave up in the end.

"30 seconds"

« Reply #2501 on: 23 June, 2021, 01:23:59 pm »
It took me much longer trying to work out a metric unit to refer to half of a minute.   I gave up in the end.

"30 seconds"

But that worried me in case I was giving a compass bearing instead of a time unit.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2502 on: 23 June, 2021, 01:46:46 pm »
We need a metrification unit to define young people.

I was born well post the date that google states BRITAIN abandoned IMPERIAL and adopted the metrification unit.     I still measure all DIY in feet and inches, refer to feet and inches in conversation, buy my beer by the pint in the pub, use the mileage signs on our roads, keep to the knot limit on rivers, etc.

It does my head in trying to calculate any distance or other measurement when people insist on using km.   First thing I always did on getting an audax routesheet was to correct it so that it could be followed.

You know, given the UK has been metric since before you were born, maybe now would be a good time for you to try to actually use the metric system instead, rather than the backward barleycorn derived barbarian units?

Just a thought.

J

My emphasis. No, it hasn't. The UK embraced the metric system, but did not exclusively adopt it. It is still perfectly legal to offer and buy stuff in imperial quantities. There was a spurious attempt many years ago to claim the the EU 'forced' the UK to go metric. It didn't. Indeed, distances and speeds and all measurements to do with roads and rail are, by law, in imperial units.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2503 on: 23 June, 2021, 03:16:29 pm »

I was born well post the date that google states BRITAIN abandoned IMPERIAL and adopted the metrification unit.     I still measure all DIY in feet and inches, refer to feet and inches in conversation, buy my beer by the pint in the pub, use the mileage signs on our roads, keep to the knot limit on rivers, etc.

It does my head in trying to calculate any distance or other measurement when people insist on using km.   First thing I always did on getting an audax routesheet was to correct it so that it could be followed.

You know, given the UK has been metric since before you were born, maybe now would be a good time for you to try to actually use the metric system instead, rather than the backward barleycorn derived barbarian units?

Just a thought.

J

Sciu, ĉar la UK estas metrika ekde antaŭ ol vi naskiĝis, eble nun estus bona tempo por vi provi efektive uzi la metrikan sistemon anstataŭ la malantaŭajn barkajn derivitajn barbarajn unuojn?

Nur penso.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2504 on: 23 June, 2021, 04:12:54 pm »
Perhaps it should be "hodeo" rather than "barkajn". Possibly there isn't an specific word.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2505 on: 23 June, 2021, 04:19:18 pm »

"30 seconds"

But that worried me in case I was giving a compass bearing instead of a time unit.

Those would be in radians.  Because it makes the maths easier(!)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2506 on: 23 June, 2021, 04:50:40 pm »
Does that mean I can start driving at 130km/h on a motorway?    I haven't got the mental energy right now to try to convert the speed limit signs/highway code/speedo in my car, but I recall that when I went to that there europe it was the speed limit of a motorway when I left IMPERIAL and went METRIC

No. 70mph is 112 kph. or near enough the 110kph limit some places use. As a rough conversion, 50kph, 65kph, 90kph, 110kph are UK speed limits in metric (spot the person who used to drive a Dutch car in the UK).

The speed limits on motorways varies by country, in some places it's 130kph, other's it's 110kph or 120kph. You should check the local legislation before driving.

Having been brought up with imperial units at home, and metric units at school and uni, I find translating between the two is relatively easy, you only have to remember a few conversion factors. 1.63km to the mile, 568ml in a pint, 28.3g in an oz, 2.2lb in a kg, 454g in a lb etc... And for many of these things you can actually round to much more easy to use numbers for a lot of what we're doing 25g to an ounce is close enough, 500ml for a pint, etc...

You can also know basic common numbers. 2.4m or 2440mm is 8ft, 1.2m or 1220mm is 4ft, 6ft is 1.83m etc...

Now if you won't mind, a friend is talking about her new horse and how many hands it is, and my 30cm ruler won't reach up to its arse.

1 hand is close enough to 100mm as makes no odds. You could even use a decimeter (common unit in some countries).

The thing is that metric is all about multiples of 10. Conversions within it are simple, and you can still use fractions if you wish.

Metric has been the on the books in the UK for over a generation, it's the international language of metrology. By insisting on using stupid backward barbarian units, people are basically saying "we don't want to be part of a global community".

There are members of the Tory party who want to move us back to using imperial units (Jacob Rees-Mogg insisted on it within his department). But the reality is, if you want to work with the rest of the world, you need to accept that they are going to use metric. They are going to expect you to be using an M6 screw, not a 1/4-20, they are going to ask for the 150mm diameter on this part. If the tories were serious about Global Britain, they would convert everything fully to metric once and for all.

Tooling for a metric world is also simpler, for starters, the typical "standard" machinists set of tools for drilling holes is considerably smaller for metric. You don't need the fractional sizes, and the letter series, and the number series. (drilling size for a 1/4-20 tap is a number 7, for M6 it's 5mm, #7 doesn't tend to see much other use).

I spoke in the tool junky thread about how I had a machined to order part delivered from the UK to operate with a part being made in Czechia, and sold via a German retailer. All I had from the spec sheet was "24mm x 5mm thread" and I could see it was trapezoid. This meant that I could rely on the fact that ISO has standardised on a metric trapezoid thread form. So even tho these parts are made 2000km apart, they work together. The equivalent imperial thread form is called ACME, and even if the measurements for the distances were close enough (say a 25mm/1"), one uses 29° for the angle, vs 30° for the other.

Many people seem to make it a point of pride to use good ole fashioned English units! But the reality, is you're just making life harder for yourself, and harder for those who come after us. There is no excuse for hanging on to the barbarian units.

It took me 30 seconds for that to register, then I got it.

The second is the SI unit for time. It's one of the 7 fundamental units, from which all other derived units originate. Not knowing this would suggest a fundamental failure of the UK education system.

Well given the SI unit for angle is the radian, that does not seem to result in any confusion. Amazing this SI metric system isn't it!

My emphasis. No, it hasn't. The UK embraced the metric system, but did not exclusively adopt it. It is still perfectly legal to offer and buy stuff in imperial quantities. There was a spurious attempt many years ago to claim the the EU 'forced' the UK to go metric. It didn't. Indeed, distances and speeds and all measurements to do with roads and rail are, by law, in imperial units.

The metric system is all that should have been taught in state schools since at least the 80's...

Sciu, ĉar la UK estas metrika ekde antaŭ ol vi naskiĝis, eble nun estus bona tempo por vi provi efektive uzi la metrikan sistemon anstataŭ la malantaŭajn barkajn derivitajn barbarajn unuojn?

Nur penso.

That's lovely, but why are you saying what I said, but in Esperanto?

No, it would be radians because that is the SI unit for angle... It just happens to also make the maths easier...

And of course, let us not forget, for all those insisting on imperial units, they are all, ultimately, defined by their metric equivalence. The inch is defined in both UK and US law as 25.4mm. The mm of course being 1000th of the meter, thus 25.4mm is short hand for 0.0254m, the metre defined at the time of the legislation based on the International prototype metre, of which the UK has been issued National prototype number 16, which was calibrated against the original IPM. National prototype number 16 is held at the National Physical Laboratory, along with our prototype kilogram, which was calibrated against the IPK in Paris.

Even if the inch was originally the length of three barley corns, fat and round, laid end to end...

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2507 on: 23 June, 2021, 04:58:16 pm »
The speed limits on motorways varies by country, in some places it's 130kph, other's it's 110kph or 120kph. You should check the local legislation before driving.
140 in Poland and Bulgaria.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2508 on: 23 June, 2021, 05:19:22 pm »

The metric system is all that should have been taught in state schools since at least the 80's...

I went through schooling from the 70's to 90's (whoops I've given away my age there) and the metric system was fine in maths when everything was simple for base10 but for all real world applications we used the measurements on the tape measure.

My main use for measurements nowadays is to navigate and keep within the speed limit, which is easy as the signposts tell me how many miles away somewhere is and the speedo in the car is calibrated accordingly.

If I do DIY I might as well use the measurements I am familiar with, have grown up with, and can visualise.   If I need a quick and ready guestimate then I know my thumb is an inch long (as per average male) and so can measure a rough distance - which when I later measure with a tape is accurate, then I need to translate it into metric if where I am buying what I need from doesn't talk normal language.

I'm tempted to see if I can buy a tape measure which is labelled with woodlice/marmosets/elephants in order that I can start using a new measure of units.

Now, if it's ok by you, the sun's over the yardarm so I'm off for a 0.568261litre.    (To save time when I get to t'pub, I'll just say "a pint")

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2509 on: 23 June, 2021, 05:33:26 pm »
I know my thumb is an inch long (as per average male)
My bold

Huh??

My thumb (not male) is 2.5" long, Vernon's thumb (male) is also 2.5" long.

ian

« Reply #2510 on: 23 June, 2021, 05:39:52 pm »
He probably wasn't referring to his thumb.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2511 on: 23 June, 2021, 05:47:03 pm »

Just a thought.

J

Nur penso.

YA TV's M Rendell AICMFP
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2512 on: 23 June, 2021, 05:47:42 pm »

I went through schooling from the 70's to 90's (whoops I've given away my age there) and the metric system was fine in maths when everything was simple for base10 but for all real world applications we used the measurements on the tape measure.

I started school in the mid 80s, by which point all the imperial measuring devices had been exorcised to (presumably) avoid confusing the teachers children.  The exception being our own rulers, which were usually bilingual, but if you can't cope with there being a Weird Old People Units scale to ignore, you're probably not old enough to own a ruler.  If we'd wanted to measure something in pounds or feet, we'd have had to convert from metric, or go rummaging in dusty boxes at the back of the SCIENCE cupboard.  The teachers taught fluent metric, having had time to get used to it[1] by then.

(I've previously mentioned how the primary maths books would talk about 'New Pence', which I deduced meant the plastic ones you use in school, as distinct from the metal ones you use in shops.  Interestingly they never got rolled out nationally.  I blame Kenneth Baker.)

Meanwhile, in the real world, Old People and USAnians spoke imperial, FOREIGNS spoke metric, engineered objects could be either (with a general trend towards metric for newer items, except where specified by USAnians), and nearly all the measuring devices were bilingual.  Most of the time there was no strong reason not to use the units we were familiar with from school, so I only really got the hang of imperial as a kind of shorthand for spoken approximation.  "6 foot" is a tall person.  "inch" is 25mm.  "mile" is long walk.  "yard" is 1 metre.  "stone" is a thing that Diet People talk about and can be safely ignored.  Speed limits are arbitrary units that don't matter unless you're trying to work out when you'll get somewhere, you just have to make sure the number on the dashboard is less than or equal to the one on the red signs.  It's fine.  Pounds are tricky because they tend to get used for serious measurement, and have me reaching for the calculator.  And the electronics industry's inability to standardise on a unit of measurement[2] is a cause of regular design cockups.

[1] And it stands to reason that anyone who grew up with imperial measurements should be able to cope just fine with the concept of yet another set of arbitrary units specifically for the purpose of teaching in primary schools.
[2] Let's specify mounting holes in millimetres and pin pitch in mils.  What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #2513 on: 23 June, 2021, 06:05:32 pm »
My bold

Huh??

My thumb (not male) is 2.5" long, Vernon's thumb (male) is also 2.5" long.

The top joint of the average thumb (tip to first knuckle) is a good approximation for 1.25 inches or 1 mile on the OS 1:50000 maps. As learnt for roughly measuring the distance to the lunch stop or the youth hostel when touring as a child.

« Reply #2514 on: 23 June, 2021, 06:08:31 pm »

I think you mean "an inch wide" - which is where one possible origin of the phrase "rule of thumb" comes from*:

Quote from: Wikinaccurate
Historically, the width of the thumb, or "thumb's breadth", was used as the equivalent of an inch in the cloth trade; similar expressions existed in Latin and French as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thumb#Origin_and_usage

* The story about it being to do with the maximum width of stick with which a man could beat his wife is an urban myth, or LIE.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2515 on: 23 June, 2021, 07:16:20 pm »
An inch seems a bit wide for a thumb...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2516 on: 23 June, 2021, 07:20:14 pm »

Not if you've made a post in the "I'm Such a Fecking Div" thread about smacking it with a heavy blunt hammer shaped object.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #2517 on: 23 June, 2021, 07:29:14 pm »

I've actually measured mine, and according to my Rabone Chesterman ruler, my thumbs are just under an inch in breadth at their widest point, midway along the distal phalanx.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2518 on: 23 June, 2021, 08:00:06 pm »

Just measured mine (I have a single bilingual steel rule for such idiosyncratic operations), it comes out at about 29/32nds of an inch... or about 22.5mm...

But surely you had purely metric measuring devices by that point ?

My main use for measurements nowadays is to navigate and keep within the speed limit, which is easy as the signposts tell me how many miles away somewhere is and the speedo in the car is calibrated accordingly.

I bet you the speedo is not calibrated. It'll intentionally read incorrectly.

If I do DIY I might as well use the measurements I am familiar with, have grown up with, and can visualise.   If I need a quick and ready guestimate then I know my thumb is an inch long (as per average male) and so can measure a rough distance - which when I later measure with a tape is accurate, then I need to translate it into metric if where I am buying what I need from doesn't talk normal language.

I know that if I hold my arms out fully, then tip to tip is near as damnit 1.7m, my palm is 75mm, and like you I do use the thumb to be about 25mm (tho as above, that's over reading by almost 10%). I know that it's about a meter from one arm extended out to my side, to the opposite arm pit. These are good enough for things like sorting ethernet cable lengths at work.

I'm tempted to see if I can buy a tape measure which is labelled with woodlice/marmosets/elephants in order that I can start using a new measure of units.

Why? Cos you want to be an idiot? It's one thing to use something cos it's been like that a while, but that's just going out of your way to be stupid. Why? What is achieved by such things?

Now, if it's ok by you, the sun's over the yardarm so I'm off for a 0.568261litre.    (To save time when I get to t'pub, I'll just say "a pint")

Just remember, that under the weights and measures act in England and Wales, they can sell you beer in 1/3rd of a pint, 1/2 of a pint, and multiples there of. 4/3rds of a pint is entirely valid as a beer size... 4/3rds of a pint being near as damnit 750ml...

I started school in the mid 80s, by which point all the imperial measuring devices had been exorcised to (presumably) avoid confusing the teachers children.  The exception being our own rulers, which were usually bilingual, but if you can't cope with there being a Weird Old People Units scale to ignore, you're probably not old enough to own a ruler.  If we'd wanted to measure something in pounds or feet, we'd have had to convert from metric, or go rummaging in dusty boxes at the back of the SCIENCE cupboard.  The teachers taught fluent metric, having had time to get used to it[1] by then.

I had a similar experience.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Old People and USAnians spoke imperial, FOREIGNS spoke metric, engineered objects could be either (with a general trend towards metric for newer items, except where specified by USAnians), and nearly all the measuring devices were bilingual.  Most of the time there was no strong reason not to use the units we were familiar with from school, so I only really got the hang of imperial as a kind of shorthand for spoken approximation.  "6 foot" is a tall person.  "inch" is 25mm.  "mile" is long walk.  "yard" is 1 metre.  "stone" is a thing that Diet People talk about and can be safely ignored.  Speed limits are arbitrary units that don't matter unless you're trying to work out when you'll get somewhere, you just have to make sure the number on the dashboard is less than or equal to the one on the red signs.  It's fine.  Pounds are tricky because they tend to get used for serious measurement, and have me reaching for the calculator.  And the electronics industry's inability to standardise on a unit of measurement[2] is a cause of regular design cockups.

Because I did wood work as a kid at home with my parents who used weird units, and I had got in the habit of "nearest line on the tape measure" type thinking, I got some interesting thoughts from my D&T teacher at school when the cutting list for a project included a piece that was 3" x 10cm x 10mm... I had to resubmit it as 76mm x 100mm x 10mm. To keep all the units consistent.

[1] And it stands to reason that anyone who grew up with imperial measurements should be able to cope just fine with the concept of yet another set of arbitrary units specifically for the purpose of teaching in primary schools.
[2] Let's specify mounting holes in millimetres and pin pitch in mils.  What could possibly go wrong?

Well quite, esp when you consider that they even have to adapt for things like a wine barrel and a beer barrel being different sizes... or a bushel of wheat and a bushel of potatoes being different weights...

As for the EE thing. Surely you just get used to doing a lot of maths in 1.27mm 0.0635mm and the like? Also how do you get on with the fun and games that is those modern SMD parts with 0.5mm and 1mm spacing? Throw them into a mix, and you get some real fun and games. But ultimately, Kicad handles this all fine for me, abstracting the weird shit away so I can just focus on millimeters.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2519 on: 23 June, 2021, 08:14:22 pm »

"30 seconds"

or Grads as used by the military. 400 graduations in a circle if I remember correctly.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2520 on: 23 June, 2021, 08:51:12 pm »
Apropos motor-car speedos; some are a good deal more accurate than others even in this day and age.  That of the FAFC (born 2008) is about 2-3 mph slow at an indicated 50 mph compared with GPS.  In contrast a 2008 Corvette was pretty much bang-on when electronically timed over a flying 200m* at 181.8 mph.  The 'vette didn’t even have an inner ring of (illegible) km/h numbers for use in Canuckistan.

* Just under a furlong ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2521 on: 24 June, 2021, 09:37:31 am »
Cricketer hits his own car windscreen for six

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-leeds-57572844
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2522 on: 24 June, 2021, 10:08:48 am »
Does that mean I can start driving at 130km/h on a motorway?    I haven't got the mental energy right now to try to convert the speed limit signs/highway code/speedo in my car, but I recall that when I went to that there europe it was the speed limit of a motorway when I left IMPERIAL and went METRIC

No. 70mph is 112 kph. or near enough the 110kph limit some places use. As a rough conversion, 50kph, 65kph, 90kph, 110kph are UK speed limits in metric (spot the person who used to drive a Dutch car in the UK).

Having been brought up with imperial units at home, and metric units at school and uni, I find translating between the two is relatively easy, you only have to remember a few conversion factors. 1.63km to the mile, 568ml in a pint, 28.3g in an oz, 2.2lb in a kg, 454g in a lb etc... And for many of these things you can actually round to much more easy to use numbers for a lot of what we're doing 25g to an ounce is close enough, 500ml for a pint, etc...

You can also know basic common numbers. 2.4m or 2440mm is 8ft, 1.2m or 1220mm is 4ft, 6ft is 1.83m etc...

Now if you won't mind, a friend is talking about her new horse and how many hands it is, and my 30cm ruler won't reach up to its arse.

1 hand is close enough to 100mm as makes no odds. You could even use a decimeter (common unit in some countries).

The thing is that metric is all about multiples of 10. Conversions within it are simple, and you can still use fractions if you wish.

Metric has been the on the books in the UK for over a generation, it's the international language of metrology. By insisting on using stupid backward barbarian units, people are basically saying "we don't want to be part of a global community".

There are members of the Tory party who want to move us back to using imperial units (Jacob Rees-Mogg insisted on it within his department). But the reality is, if you want to work with the rest of the world, you need to accept that they are going to use metric. They are going to expect you to be using an M6 screw, not a 1/4-20, they are going to ask for the 150mm diameter on this part. If the tories were serious about Global Britain, they would convert everything fully to metric once and for all.

Tooling for a metric world is also simpler, for starters, the typical "standard" machinists set of tools for drilling holes is considerably smaller for metric. You don't need the fractional sizes, and the letter series, and the number series. (drilling size for a 1/4-20 tap is a number 7, for M6 it's 5mm, #7 doesn't tend to see much other use).

I spoke in the tool junky thread about how I had a machined to order part delivered from the UK to operate with a part being made in Czechia, and sold via a German retailer. All I had from the spec sheet was "24mm x 5mm thread" and I could see it was trapezoid. This meant that I could rely on the fact that ISO has standardised on a metric trapezoid thread form. So even tho these parts are made 2000km apart, they work together. The equivalent imperial thread form is called ACME, and even if the measurements for the distances were close enough (say a 25mm/1"), one uses 29° for the angle, vs 30° for the other.

Many people seem to make it a point of pride to use good ole fashioned English units! But the reality, is you're just making life harder for yourself, and harder for those who come after us. There is no excuse for hanging on to the barbarian units.

It took me 30 seconds for that to register, then I got it.

The second is the SI unit for time. It's one of the 7 fundamental units, from which all other derived units originate. Not knowing this would suggest a fundamental failure of the UK education system.

Well given the SI unit for angle is the radian, that does not seem to result in any confusion. Amazing this SI metric system isn't it!

Nur penso.

That's lovely, but why are you saying what I said, but in Esperanto?

No, it would be radians because that is the SI unit for angle... It just happens to also make the maths easier...

And of course, let us not forget, for all those insisting on imperial units, they are all, ultimately, defined by their metric equivalence. The inch is defined in both UK and US law as 25.4mm. The mm of course being 1000th of the meter, thus 25.4mm is short hand for 0.0254m, the metre defined at the time of the legislation based on the International prototype metre, of which the UK has been issued National prototype number 16, which was calibrated against the original IPM. National prototype number 16 is held at the National Physical Laboratory, along with our prototype kilogram, which was calibrated against the IPK in Paris.

Even if the inch was originally the length of three barley corns, fat and round, laid end to end...

J

Sorry, I’ve quoted the whole post because I cannot be arsed to split back out an individual point.

Why Esperanto? Because it is an artificial language, designed for everyone. It hasn’t evolved like all other languages, it doesn't mainly have roots in natural human and cultural things over time, there doesn't appear to be a set of people that are clamouring for it to be universal. Surely it makes sense to be universal with language…?
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2523 on: 26 June, 2021, 02:47:30 pm »
Not sure if this belongs here or the not news thread...  Ely pub's 'quirky' tankard investigated by council

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2524 on: 26 June, 2021, 03:18:46 pm »
As if the Fens weren't weird enough.  Directions to a friend's house outside Thetford include "go left at the carrot place".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.