Author Topic: My new bike  (Read 4103 times)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
My new bike
« on: 01 April, 2008, 09:54:24 am »
I am now the proud owner of a 2007 Specialized Langster purchased from a guy in Fareham Wheelers last night. A mint condition bargain at £200 from a really sound chap.

The whole thing is a double new experience for me. For one thing I have never ridden anything that is so light. Up until now I thought my 30lb Ultra Galaxy was a light bike. The Langster is around 18/19lbs and feels like a toy.

Rode in on single speed this morning which is how it was set up when I bought it. Do I dare crossing fully to the dark side and swapping to fixed?  To be honest I thought I'd struggle to get the thing up the hills on a 69inch gear but its so light I had no problems at all.

This morning I have a big grin on my face and am in the middle of a whole new cycling experience.  Wheeeeee!!! ;D
Owner of a languishing Langster

Chris N

Re: My new bike
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2008, 09:59:00 am »
You should at least try fixed.  It'll stop Frenchie hassling you.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2008, 10:03:20 am »
I find fixed a lot easier than singlespeed (and I speak as a fan of wide-range touring gearing). 
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2008, 10:05:51 am »
U-B,
you sound just like I felt last July when Marj made me have a Langster( I kid you not,she really did  :thumbsup:) for my birthday.

The buzz,when I ride it,remains.
Hope you too have as much fun with yours.

Going to fixed....JFDI...it's spintastic ;D

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2008, 02:00:08 pm »
yes it fast on the flat and the wind we are having on the coast right now , went out on lunchtime ride with Dave and  I couldn't keep up  :sick:

Treewheeler

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2008, 08:13:59 pm »
I'm so jealous I'm going to wait for you on the A27 and rob you of your machine GRRRR!
 Honestly, great bargain enjoy the ride!
 I'm in Emsworth ona Tricross fixed (singles for special needs and members of the Fareham Wheelers)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2008, 09:52:49 pm »
Try fixed and you'll probably be convinced by the climbability.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2008, 09:55:55 pm »
You have to try it Fixed, just have to. You won't go back.

Arthur

« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2008, 10:01:27 pm »
I've got the 08 Langster, which I bought purely for my commute, and is gradually getting ridden over ever-increasing distances - it's just so much fun.  And to answer your question... Oh Yes, flip that wheel. You won't regret it  :thumbsup:

Treewheeler

« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2008, 10:26:29 pm »
What time do you normally pass by on the A27 as I'm getting cold here waiting to mug you for your wheels... (bet you stick to single free as you are a closet Fareham Wheeler)

Rapples

« Reply #10 on: 02 April, 2008, 10:35:54 pm »
I think as has been said many times before

JFDI ;D ;D ;D

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
« Reply #11 on: 06 April, 2008, 10:16:37 am »
Cheers for all the replies all. I will be avoiding the A27 for a while  ;D

Will be going fixed very soon - as soon as the snow melts in fact.

Strangely enough I asked the guy I bought the bike from if he'd ever ridden it fixed, he said he'd tried it a few times but the downhills terrified him so much he went back to S/S. I will be persevering and hope to try a Denmead 100k on it at some point.

Will really have to change the saddle to do any distance though. My arse is way too wide for the racing style saddle.

Treewheeler

« Reply #12 on: 12 April, 2008, 08:50:31 pm »
My ass got well spanked by the saddle the Tricross came with too... :P

urban_biker

« Reply #13 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:39:28 pm »
Finally got around to swapping the wheel around on Saturday and went for a gentle and short pootle around.

First impressions:

Acceleration is smooth and easy and the bike just seems to maintain its momentum and rides more smoothly. I have discovered that I (attempt to!) freewheel much more than I thought I did. In fact every time I negtiate a junction I feel the need to freewheel  - this caused a number of "exciting" moments on my first ride.

I hope that overcoming this just takes practice - otherwise I'm pretty sure I will get thrown off the bike at some point. Luckily so far I have got off with just a few gentle and not so gentle reminders.

Next things to try - fast downhills. If I never post again you should just assume I tried to freewheel at 30mph   ;D

« Reply #14 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
It'll stop Frenchie hassling you.

SS... No comment.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #15 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:44:09 pm »
Will really have to change the saddle to do any distance though. My arse is way too wide for the racing style saddle.

Hard saddles are best though for comfort. My langster sports a Flite -- I never used the original.

I find the Langster a wonderful fast machine, ready to go. It climbs very well too and is surprisingly comfortable. The only issue is the wheelset which isn't that great. I now use a P-X wheelset which makes the bike very fast indeed.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

urban_biker

« Reply #16 on: 21 April, 2008, 02:00:04 pm »
It feels very fast to me even on the standard wheels. Especially compared to my Dawes Ultra Galaxy Tourer which is around 12 pounds heavier.