Author Topic: Can you convert a freewheel hub to a fixed hub?  (Read 8563 times)

Can you convert a freewheel hub to a fixed hub?
« on: 06 April, 2008, 05:15:31 pm »
I ask because I have an excess of Shimano freewheel hubbed 26 inch wheels and a turbo bike which I could use to play at fix'ing with until I build a dedicated fixie.   

It would seem within the bounds of do-ability to me.  Simply produce a fixed carrier that replaces the freewheel but am I being too simplistic or optimistic?

Re: Can you convert a freewheel hub to a fixed hub?
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2008, 05:19:05 pm »
Do you have a freewheel or a cassette hub. The former is easy, just screw the fixed sprocket on. The latter needs the freehub body replacing with a Surly Fixer or drilling and screwing. Google will help you find some information.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2008, 05:21:58 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2008, 05:28:02 pm »
WOW!  That's impressive if not a tad expensive.

All the hubs I have are freewheel hubs.

I tried Google but couldn't find what I wanted.  Maybe that's because I don't really know the terminology yet so it's difficult to find what you don't know you're looking for  :-[   

« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2008, 05:36:19 pm »
I am not sure what you mean by freewheel hubs. Do they use screw on blocks (freewheels) or slide on cassettes ? If it is the former just screw your sprocket on.

« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2008, 05:40:07 pm »
Sorry.

The hubs have a removeable 'freehub' (I guess it is called) onto which a cassette slides.

« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2008, 05:41:54 pm »
To identify the type of hub, see Sheldon

If it's a threaded hub that takes a separate screw-on freewheel, just screw on a fixed sprocket instead, and don't rely on leg braking. You can use an old-style bottom bracket lockring to make it harder for the cog to unscrew itself.

If it's a freehub (aka a cassette hub) that takes a slide-on cassette, it's either a Surley Fixxer, or try assorted bodges to jam up the freewheeling part of the freehub body - fill with araldite, braze the inner and outer sections together, or whatever.

« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2008, 06:07:22 pm »
Sorry.

The hubs have a removeable 'freehub' (I guess it is called) onto which a cassette slides.

Indeed so.  Thanks for that link Andrew.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 06 April, 2008, 06:28:24 pm »
On-One make a cheap singlespeed kit for Shimano freehubs, but this isn't quite the same thing; because the freehub is still there, it doesn't get you any nearer to a fixie.

Some people have done things with brazing torches.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 06 April, 2008, 07:31:34 pm »
www.fixieFAQs.org.uk for this and so much more fixie lore :)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 06 April, 2008, 08:28:35 pm »
On-One make a cheap singlespeed kit for Shimano freehubs, but this isn't quite the same thing; because the freehub is still there, it doesn't get you any nearer to a fixie.

You called?  ;D
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2008, 08:28:26 am »
I assume people take the rubber seals out first, otherwise it would niff a bit when you started running molten brass into its rear annulus.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 07 April, 2008, 08:51:59 am »

You called?  ;D

I might be asking for your expertise and help David.   I've just spotted this!

« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2008, 07:48:47 pm »
A visit to my friendly LBS today turned up a knackered 8 speed shimano freehub.   It'll be going for a soak then at the weekend I'm going to try and fill it with somelthing less lubricating  :)    Thanks DM for the suggestion.

Now, I need to order this from On One ... 

Si

« Reply #14 on: 09 April, 2008, 10:58:07 am »
If you take the free hub body apart there is a small groove/space running along the innards into which you can place a bit of steel bar to lock the hub - there is a link to it in more detail on Sheldon somewhere.  Or you can just weld the freehub body up so that it won't rotate.

« Reply #15 on: 09 April, 2008, 11:11:36 am »
If you take the free hub body apart there is a small groove/space running along the innards into which you can place a bit of steel bar to lock the hub - there is a link to it in more detail on Sheldon somewhere.  Or you can just weld the freehub body up so that it won't rotate.

Thanks for that tip.  I'll dig around in Sheldon for the metal bar trick.   Me and welding / brazing equipment might not be very sensible  ;D

« Reply #16 on: 12 April, 2008, 09:22:02 am »
I have one that I took apart and jammed some metal bits into the freewheel mechanism and stuck in place with some sort of aradilte for metal. It worked just fine.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]