Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2191116 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #9625 on: 03 September, 2014, 11:55:26 am »
Built the 719 rim MacB gave me + a XT hub + black DT spokes into a wheel

Next steps
add disk rotor and tyre to new wheel
put bars on frame
put levers on bars
put brakes on frame + wheels
measure brake cable lengths
cut and fit cables
chainset / bottom bracket
chain and chainline
saddle, bartape, pedals
cycle up hill and hoon down it

That looks like quite a lot to do.  Wonder if I'll fit it all in this week?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9626 on: 03 September, 2014, 08:26:37 pm »
I got stuck due to a lack of headset spacers

Quick trip to Halfords first thing tomorrow I think

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9627 on: 03 September, 2014, 10:39:11 pm »
Barakta's hearing aid, which she'd been failing to get to work.

I simply dropped it on the floor, picked it up and applied The Knack.

« Reply #9628 on: 03 September, 2014, 10:43:50 pm »
Rear light bracket for the rack mounts on the seatstays.

Fashioned from a bit of metal found in the road, and means I can swap the rack-mounted light between bikes, and not have to use the rack.

« Reply #9629 on: 03 September, 2014, 11:04:20 pm »
I got stuck due to a lack of headset spacers

Quick trip to Halfords first thing tomorrow I think

If you're not in a rush I bought a pack of three 1 1/8" 5mm spacers the other day and think I only need one. Happy to chuck one or two in the post for you.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #9630 on: 04 September, 2014, 09:04:14 am »
Not cycling related, but, some very expensive holes... Bathroom has been retiled by expensive tiler and reasonably priced tiles.  Apparently the fact that the tiles are porcelain is relevant.... A £15 diamond drill bit lasted 2 holes, and was scrap.  So, thats 2 holes for the shower riser rail, 4 holes for the cabinet, 3 holes for the vestigial shower screen, and 2 holes for the shower curtain rail, and 2 bigger holes to fix the basin.  Bankruptcy looms, I think. 

I've bought a £27 diamond bit which claims to last 30-70 holes in class 5 porcelain tiles (I have no idea what class mine are) and now have the cabinet fixed. 

I hate bathroom fettling.  Oh, and the tiler destroyed the 2 week old bath by dropping a 600x400 tile on it, edgeways on.  His plumber is coming to replace it on his insurance today, and hopefully the shower screen will have arrived before the tiler has done the little tiles along the edge of the bath.....
Wombat

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #9631 on: 04 September, 2014, 09:13:43 am »
Due to work ruining my chance of getting out on the bike last night, and Mrs T being in that London for work, I fettled:

My Gunflint Trail bag onto a SQR
Some paracord into the relevant holes in the same bag.
The DY onto the turbo

Now just need to have a good old tidy up in the garage to make it a bit more accessible!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #9632 on: 06 September, 2014, 03:47:33 pm »
I've just shortened by brake hoses by 6" each. Decided to do them without bleeding. Unscrewed, cut went to get two new olives :facepalm:

ARSE.

I could've sworn I got a few spares. I'm now balancing the hoses upright to stop air getting into the hose and the caliper and praying I don't squeeze the brake lever by accident, emptying the reservoir. They'll have to be like this until midweek now.

What a prize tit!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #9633 on: 06 September, 2014, 08:22:48 pm »
I've just shortened by brake hoses by 6" each. Decided to do them without bleeding. Unscrewed, cut went to get two new olives :facepalm:

ARSE.

I could've sworn I got a few spares. I'm now balancing the hoses upright to stop air getting into the hose and the caliper and praying I don't squeeze the brake lever by accident, emptying the reservoir. They'll have to be like this until midweek now.

What a prize tit!

I can't get any tomorrow, all of the bike shops are shut!  This is why I use the internet for bike stuff. The only day I'm off and they're all closed!!!

On the plus side, I've fettled a new front lamp fitting on the Verenti now the racks are off (until next spring). It is fixed on the fork crown bolt and holds my lamp dead centre on the bike. I bodged manufactured it from an old stainless rear rack fitting, the flat ones wth a slot running down the centre. A bit of cutting and bending, hey presto. Luv my Dremel :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #9634 on: 07 September, 2014, 04:23:37 pm »
Fixed a busted pair of acrylic framed sunnies for Diana the Ceramicist.
Crack in acrylic frame at the LH eyebrow.
She'd been unsuccessful in repairing it using 2-part epoxy.
Couldn't apply enough pressure long enough to the join for the epoxy to cure.

I managed to remove most of the epoxy.
Reduced the circumference if the lens a tiny amount by rolling / rubbing it all the way round on some 400 wet & dry, thus reducing the amount of closing  pressure required at the join.
Used very, very thin cyanoacrylate from my fridge to bond the join, letting it do its capillary thing.
Once cured, I polished the join using Solvol Autosol on a very soft mop inna Dremel.

Diana reckons she can't see or feel the join :smug:

Also fitted a new transmission to the Pompino.
Chainring (totally $#@gg€d) was replaced as was the chain and 16T sprocket.
Changed the rear tyre too, on account of a bulge at the bead that I wasn't too keen on the look of - is it just me..... I use Spesh tyres on all four bikes and they usually get binned on account of dodgy looking bulges - rather than having worn out.
Anyone else?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #9635 on: 07 September, 2014, 04:31:25 pm »
Some Damsons into Damson Gin, just need to wait a year for it to mature :(

« Reply #9636 on: 07 September, 2014, 06:09:40 pm »
Replaced a fence post that had rotted at the ground - the hard way.

The concrete that the old post was set in was in good condition, so I hacked out the the rotted stump using a combination of tools, finishing up with the 18" masonry drill.  It took a while and I couldn't get all the way down but probably enough.

Put some fairly liquid cement in and put a new post in, seems to be solid.

The previous time I did this, I swore never to do it again and just lift the old mass of concrete out. 

I can now hit the "post" button (sorry...)

tiermat

« Reply #9637 on: 07 September, 2014, 06:28:31 pm »
Finally, after 18 months, sorted the annoying click on the Inbred. Found that the gear cable on the left hand side was clicking when the bars were turned slightly.

Loosened off the cable, cleaned out the guide with copious amounts of wd40 then applied some grease.

Silence reigns.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #9638 on: 07 September, 2014, 09:34:12 pm »
Busy weekend of winterising bikes. Good clean, then rack, mudguards and lights on my touring bike. New mudguards on my eldests. Swapped round various bits and pieces, trip out to big als to get couple of spokes replaced. Then amazingly for me, some gardening for my my better half whose back is killing her  :'( 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9639 on: 08 September, 2014, 07:54:24 pm »
I have successfully, it seems, trued my back wheel.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9640 on: 08 September, 2014, 08:32:56 pm »
The Carshalton Strimmer Massacre.

Apparently, we have a back garden.  Who knew?
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9641 on: 08 September, 2014, 08:39:02 pm »
I've molished a little set of traffic lights[1] for the bathroom door out of assorted spare parts I had lying around.  I just need a long USB cable and to write some code to work out whether there's someone in the bathroom or not.

[1] Well, more like railway signals...

« Reply #9642 on: 12 September, 2014, 12:19:12 pm »
I stripped down the Ridgeback Velocity to F&F then reassembled with a new chainset, BB, chain tensioner & brake levers, ready for the soon-to-be-built SRAM Automatix-hubbed rear wheel.

I fitted Polar Bear's dynohub front wheel and wired the new AXA sensor LED front light. It works.

All I need now is the rear wheel and my commuter/pub bike is ready.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9643 on: 12 September, 2014, 12:36:59 pm »
I'll be interested to hear how the Automatix works out.
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9644 on: 13 September, 2014, 03:44:16 pm »
Adjusted my BB7 disc brakes, which turned out to involve rather less wailing and gnashing of teeth than I anticipated.
At least the levers don't touch the bars anymore :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #9645 on: 13 September, 2014, 03:51:01 pm »
The Carshalton Strimmer Massacre.

Apparently, we have a back garden.  Who knew?
Thanks to Qualcast and a fair bit of 1.2mmØ monofilament I, apparently, have one behind my house.
I strimmed enough to fill a rubble bag to the point where I could *just about* get a cable tie to secure the neck of the bag.
Knackered now.
Might need a little lie-down.

« Reply #9646 on: 13 September, 2014, 04:56:25 pm »
New bottombracket fitted. The righthand crank bolt sheared and rather than drill out the bolt I replaced the four year old bb. Glad it was today near home as next week I am commuting from sisters house and don't have an alternative means.

tiermat

« Reply #9647 on: 13 September, 2014, 06:06:57 pm »
Sorted through the gloves drawer in the garage.

Tried to clear the eml on the car, but failed, so went to see a man who can, who did!

Cooked tea for the invalid.

« Reply #9648 on: 13 September, 2014, 09:49:29 pm »
Nothing but will have to sort the maxles. :D

« Reply #9649 on: 14 September, 2014, 12:39:57 pm »
Fettled the back protector. It was a fraction too long and interfering with the helmet so I trimmed a bit off. Ta da. :)