Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2181553 times)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #5900 on: 24 June, 2012, 07:18:02 pm »
Vice fitted to new bench, and strip light fitted above. The only bits that I have had to buy for the project are a couple of alloy edging strips for the ends of the 40mm laminate top left over from kitchen refit a few years ago. Reserves of useful timber now sadly depleted.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5901 on: 24 June, 2012, 08:45:53 pm »
Swapped the flat bars for (just lying around and probably not permanent but good enough for a test ride) drops on the new (to me) Mercian.

Then removed the campag cantis and pedals and replaced with shimano ones (the cantis because I don't have any drop bar brake levers compatible with the campag cantis).

Changed the rather cumbersome nut and bolt seat pin polt for an altogether more svelte job.

Popped on a Brooks and went for a spin.

Unshipped the chain twice (front mech since adjusted) and the brakes needed a tweak, but everything else is lovely. Interestingly, the bike feels quite lively, though I thought it was very much a tourer. Could be the fact that it's completely unladen.

The chain is a link or two too short: can't engage big/big (I know one shouldn't, but I like to have the option in case I have a mad moment. Currently the drivetrain siezes up if I try. Not good.).

Just waiting for the colour-co-ordinated rack promised by the seller, and some panniers too. I'll be happy if he can also find the original bars and levers. I've ordered an inner chain ring because, strangely, the original has gone missing.

Oh, and some bar tape.

Otherwise, it's good to go.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #5902 on: 26 June, 2012, 03:14:48 pm »
I swapped the FSA Gimondi chainset from the Pompino onto the Orbit, discovering in the process that the BB was shot, so had a quick spin out to get a new one. Found that the Orbit's chainset won't fit the Pompino due to foulage, so it'll be broken up for bits soon. I managed to get the adjustable stem off the Pompino frame after a struggle.

Replaced the Mezzo folder's rear sprocket with a 24t one to radically lower the gearing.

Fitted the kiddy cranks to the Thorn tandem and fixed the front derailleur so I can get all three rings now. Still struggling to get the Islabike Beinn's tyres back on the rim. Rain stopped play!

Isn't working from home great?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5903 on: 26 June, 2012, 08:00:09 pm »
Changed both the front brake pads and holders on the vantage. The holders because I'd managed to fit the retaining clips in too tightly last time and they wouldn't come out :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #5904 on: 26 June, 2012, 11:57:21 pm »
Massaged oil into lots of nipples...
:
:
:
(click to show/hide)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

simonp

« Reply #5905 on: 27 June, 2012, 01:12:02 am »
Took rear wheel off Pompino to investigate play. Arse. Largest come spammers I own are 17mm. I need 18mm. Ordered a pair from Parker.

While I had the wheel out I changed both tyres, both heavily worn. Ideas for a replacement hub 135oln to the 52mm chainline that these have appreciated.

« Reply #5906 on: 27 June, 2012, 01:23:49 am »
Took rear wheel off Pompino to investigate play. Arse. Largest come spammers I own are 17mm. I need 18mm. Ordered a pair from Parker.

While I had the wheel out I changed both tyres, both heavily worn. Ideas for a replacement hub 135oln to the 52mm chainline that these have appreciated.

My idea remains a new frame with a 120oln  ;D

simonp

« Reply #5907 on: 27 June, 2012, 01:25:04 am »
Shiny. But I have found some possible cheaper hubs than I was looking at which would make a much cheaper option than replacing the frame.

« Reply #5908 on: 27 June, 2012, 01:26:41 am »
Shiny. But I have found some possible cheaper hubs than I was looking at which would make a much cheaper option than replacing the frame.

But the brown one does look very nice. Your frame is second hand and getting on a bit in miles anyway. You deserve a new one  ;D

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #5909 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:02:18 am »
I supervised the wife in taking apart her Dave Yates frame-building course frame to back for a re-finish (twas an iffy paint job).
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #5910 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:14:05 am »

But the brown one does look very nice. Your frame is second hand and getting on a bit in miles anyway. You deserve a new one  ;D

Official N+1 largesse alert - get in there my son... ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Chris S

« Reply #5911 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:32:28 am »
I have a Goldtech fixed/fixed on my Pomp - still silky smooth after 35,000km, and unlike On-One fixed hubs, still available in 135.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5912 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:35:02 am »
filled a skip, mended some holes and painted them, put up a new gate and fence panel. Fixed a bit of code. Extracted an interview with Mrs J from the radio. Filmed some dogs, cats, a lizard and a snake. It's been a busy couple of days.
It is simpler than it looks.

simonp

« Reply #5913 on: 27 June, 2012, 10:56:57 am »

Official N+1 largesse alert - get in there my son... ;D

At most this will be a new frame. £99.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5914 on: 27 June, 2012, 11:28:46 am »
Upgraded the firmware on our BE router. It goes like this:

Download upgrade file.
RTFM
Can't find reference to *nix.
Find wizard for windows and Apple.
RTFM again.
RTFM again.
Find page for *nix users.
Need to download this package, do that command line stuff, sacrifice these chickens.
Decide to hook router up to laptop wot is running windows instead.
Use wizard.
Upgrade fails.
Use wizard again.
Upgrade fails
Use wizard again.
Success.
Note that settings have resorted to default.
Restore settings from backup (despite this being part of the backup anyway)
Think all is  well.
Realise WLAN settings are not restored.
Input WLAN settingsa byhand.
Job done.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

simonp

« Reply #5915 on: 27 June, 2012, 11:34:11 am »
I have a Goldtech fixed/fixed on my Pomp - still silky smooth after 35,000km, and unlike On-One fixed hubs, still available in 135.

What's the chainline on that hub, 42mm? I'd need to change the BB. However, also they can be converted to 120mm at a later date allowing me to use the same wheel with a 120mm frame when this one really needs replacing.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5916 on: 27 June, 2012, 07:14:54 pm »
It depends on the age of the Goldtec, but mine is 46mm with a Dura-Ace or EAI sprocket (works perfectly with a Sugino XD double crank - the triple is a different forging - and 107mm Shimano BB).  I think the newer ones have a much narrower chainline.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5917 on: 27 June, 2012, 07:17:36 pm »
Removed the jet from the Coleman stove, blew it out with carburettor cleaner and refitted it (you get a leak down the threads and a small extra flame if you haven''t done this for a while, which can make pans sooty).  Also oiled the pump plunger.

Among white gas stoves, the brass bling and utter simplicity of a SVEA 123 appeals to me, but the Coleman is far easier to light, especially when it's warm weather and the heat from your hands wouldn't be enough to prime an SVEA.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5918 on: 27 June, 2012, 07:37:12 pm »
On the commute I realised my ride position on the Pugsley was too low so at lunchtime I twisted the bars so that the 'rise' was rising rather than pointing forward. Much more comfortable on the way home.

Then found out that the forks for my Swift had been serviced so I took the rigid ones off and put the suspension ones on.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5919 on: 27 June, 2012, 07:54:33 pm »
The house.  We now have something called 'floor'.

« Reply #5920 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:12:03 pm »

Fettled a bit of Kingspan foam into a box file for Arch.

Only just spotted this, and feel I should point out that this was at my request for a project, and not the crappest present ever.... ;)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5921 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:54:25 pm »
I managed to swap the cranks over on Butterfly's Van Nicholas.  It seems to be a success. :D

I recommissioned my fixed in an emergency as my Orbit is out of action.
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #5922 on: 28 June, 2012, 11:31:20 am »
It depends on the age of the Goldtec, but mine is 46mm with a Dura-Ace or EAI sprocket (works perfectly with a Sugino XD double crank - the triple is a different forging - and 107mm Shimano BB).  I think the newer ones have a much narrower chainline.

Thanks; I want to make sure it will work with a 135mm frame for chainstay clearance. It's 52mm at present (On-One 135mm hub) and there isn't clearance to move the chainset in by 10mm (current Goldtec is 42.5). However, I just measured and the chainring is at about 47mm and the sprocket at 52mm, as best I can tell. So I can get a 42.5mm chainline, I think, with the correct BB (chainset is a BLB 1/8"). So it looks like Goldtec win because when I do replace the frame eventually I can convert to 120mm track standard without having to replace the rear wheel *again*. Only concern is there doesn't seem to be a lot of space between the chainset and the BB at present, so I'm not sure how narrow it can go.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5923 on: 28 June, 2012, 11:34:07 am »
Nothing yet, but just about to go out to the garage and fix the front disc brake on the InBred, fit a 10 speed cassette and chain to the Flying Scot and other things that need doing....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5924 on: 28 June, 2012, 02:42:35 pm »
Update

Front brake found to be ok, if a little squeely, rear VERY squeely, but I found it had gone out of adjustment, so the pads were touching at the bottom before the top.  Ran through the BB7 adjustment guide and really tightened the bugger down.  Lets see if it squeels now :)

Whilst there I finished off the Flying scot (10spd cassette, chain, gear cables and bar tape) and then the Ridley (bar tape and adjustments and finally pedals).

Put the Pinarello back together, found the seat needed to go down so spent an hour trying to get the seat post out so I could move it.  Needless to say it went back with a large glob of grease attached :)

Managed to cut my finger whilst fitting bar tape to the Ridley, really must get a good pair of scissors for the garage.  Stanley knives are not really designed for cutting bar tape.

Only bike left to fettle in the garage is the fixie, but that can wait (needs a few more coats of gold paint on the lugs before re-assembly.

ETA: And upgrade the InBred to 10 speed, but that is a long term job as I use the InBred most.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State