Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2181525 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12350 on: 11 August, 2017, 11:10:55 pm »
Replaced the tube in the front wheel of the Streetmachine, with rather a lot of skilled help from EldestCub. That rim is a complete bastard. I think I'll have to rebuild the wheel with something more practical, as I don't think I would have managed it unassisted.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12351 on: 11 August, 2017, 11:14:14 pm »
Replaced the (very grotty) throwing starsjockey wheels in the tourer's rear mech, and fitted a new Spanninga Elips light to the rack.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12352 on: 11 August, 2017, 11:29:27 pm »
More cleaning of the mountain bike.  Am amazed how much of a build up of furry sticky stuff is on the bike.

Then rebuilding using ceramic grease...not supposed to be sticky but will see.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12353 on: 12 August, 2017, 08:59:44 am »
My boiler (needed a top-up).  I now have hot water again!  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #12354 on: 12 August, 2017, 10:54:22 am »
A new battery into this phone and the lenses out of Mrs S' reading glasses into the frames of her sunglasses

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12355 on: 12 August, 2017, 11:06:25 am »
Took advantage of the missus being out to do a job on the wretched buddleia which, in addition to being a bugger to spell,* was bending down à la Linden Lea to slap me in the kisser with a soggy frond after every shower of rain. This morning I had to bend double to avoid the evil thing. Triffid-envy, that's what it's suffering from; and now from my bowsaw. There's enough left to placate the "it's not the pruning season" lobby - and anyway, I wasn't pruning, I was punishing.  :demon: ;D

*Curiously, Firefox suggests "befuddle".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12356 on: 12 August, 2017, 11:44:30 am »
I need to add grease and adjust bearings in a pair of new Deore hubs.  Shimani QC is crap these days - both are too tight, one alarmingly so.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12357 on: 12 August, 2017, 12:54:55 pm »
Multiple items off my todo list, still lots more to do, before next Friday. I hate moving house!

You have my sympathies.   We have vicarious moving of house with mllePB's father.   It's a stressful time for him. 

« Reply #12358 on: 12 August, 2017, 05:06:28 pm »
New cassette and chain on the Sabbath and refitted the guards and cleaned the commuter

« Reply #12359 on: 12 August, 2017, 08:20:24 pm »
Cleaned my Trangia, which had been in it's bag since the Wing camping weekend.   There was stuff growing on the cloth I'd left inside  :sick:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12360 on: 13 August, 2017, 06:28:20 am »
@T42

It's as unkillable as Japanese knotweed...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #12361 on: 13 August, 2017, 07:23:32 am »
Cleaned my Trangia, which had been in it's bag since the Wing camping weekend.   There was stuff growing on the cloth I'd left inside  :sick:

Only cleaned ours last week.  It was not as ripe.

« Reply #12362 on: 13 August, 2017, 07:10:02 pm »
I found a moderately reasonable place to mount a small safe for storing essential items, like passports etc.  I then proceeded to attempt to drill eight holes, mount heavy duty fixings into those, and bolt the safe in place.

Drilling into bricks, fitting the metal fixings in places, and then bolting the required item in place, never works as planned, since the holes never seem to go in straight, or quite in the locations that you expect them to go !

I got seven of them in place, and tightened up, which took a while when I could only turn the ratchet on the socket set about 45° at a go. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #12363 on: 13 August, 2017, 09:00:51 pm »
7m2 of plastering. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #12364 on: 15 August, 2017, 11:39:44 am »
Spoke replaced (non drive side thankfully) and stem replaced (original adjustable one had developed a lot of play in its joint, felt like I was trying to steer a boat). Should make my commutes a lot less unenjoyable.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12365 on: 17 August, 2017, 10:26:42 pm »
Today has been particularly bloody...

Shortened some tribars for a customer. I'm getting quite good at internal cable routing  ;D

Sorted the hydraulics on a Norco. NB when customers order their own stuff from China, they should check that the brakes they've bought are a) the correct orientation for UK bikes and III) the hose length is something reasonable first.

Stripped and rebuilt my Giant OCR. Claris chainset swapped out for Ultegra triple, 6600 wheels, 105 mechs and shifters. It's a bit of a mongrel but it all works. Having fettled it all it had to come apart again to fit in the  suitcase for France. Went home at 20:40. That was a long day.

Hols tomorrow...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #12366 on: 17 August, 2017, 10:30:34 pm »
Finally rebuilt the front wheel that some feckers ruined onna train. New spokes and new rim, plus re-fitting the front light.

So my Pompino is back to audax-readiness.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12367 on: 17 August, 2017, 10:38:14 pm »
Dug a quantity of bitumen from the remaining head of the cable clamp bolt on the Red Baron's rear derailleur.  Got enough of an allen key in to undo it, and replaced it with an undamaged bolt from the derailleur that had its cage destroyed by a Tesco bag a couple of years ago (I'd been keeping in case it came in handy).

Also chain lubrication and brake adjustment.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12368 on: 18 August, 2017, 07:30:59 pm »
cleaned and re-lubed the internals of freehub post tcr (4600km all in); did the same with the jockey wheels

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12369 on: 18 August, 2017, 08:28:09 pm »
Changed chain routing on the M5 recumbent off of the high idler.  I think the lower routing will be more efficient, but need to ride it to see how it affects steering angles.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12370 on: 18 August, 2017, 10:53:34 pm »

Stripped and rebuilt my Giant OCR. Claris chainset swapped out for Ultegra triple, 6600 wheels, 105 mechs and shifters. It's a bit of a mongrel but it all works. Having fettled it all it had to come apart again to fit in the  suitcase for France. Went home at 20:40. That was a long day.

Hols tomorrow...

...and then completely fucked it up by locking the shop up and handing the key to Steve who's looking after the place, driving off and realizing it's still in its case.

IN THE FUCKING SHOP!

I really shouldn't be allowed out on my own.
VELOMANCER

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12371 on: 19 August, 2017, 04:04:56 pm »
Replaced the §"$%&/() cable end in my left shifter & put in a PTFE-covered cable.  A bit of a song & dance what with having to unwrap the bar on that side & wrestle with the rubber cover.

Got bike down off the hooks & rolled it up to the door end of the shop to top off the tyres for tomorrow. Rear tyre, replaced 2 days ago, was down to 1.5 bar. So now it's down at the other end again and back on the hooks while I search for a 25 mm tube. There's now so pleasant as having to do something over again at the end of the day when you were on the point of knocking off five minutes earlier. :( 
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12372 on: 19 August, 2017, 05:37:50 pm »
Finally built up the enthusiasm to replace the rear tube with the slow leak in HK's MTB commuter. Hopefully I can now ignore it till winter. If the front rim has worn too thin then, I'll replace it with the ceramic-rim, dynohub, spare front wheel for her trike.

Just finished off making a BSO roadworthy for a friend of a friend. Don't ask...

Now to solve the loose crown race on HK's Condor commuter and replace the front brake pads. After that, prep HK's Moulton for her upcoming European trip while I am in Oz. I might get round to working on my own bikes later on.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12373 on: 20 August, 2017, 02:04:12 pm »
Replaced the amplifier which my older iMac runs through (all  my music lives on this Mac as it runs a version of iTunes dating back to when iTunes was a useable thing). Turned it on this morning and all it produced the kind of angry electrical buzz you hear when you pop an incandescent light bulb into a microwave and press the 'Go' button - Kids, don't do this in your home - do it in someone else's.

A phone call and a quick trip to Richer Sounds at London Bridge, saw me laden with an entry level amp from Cambridge Audio.
Below my desk is a 'shelf' at about 150mm from the floor, which for me is a footrest.
Below the shelf is home for all the (many) 4-way mains splitters, data cables, wall warts, transformers etc, etc.....
It is not very often that I need to lift the shelf. Oh my! It is so very full of fluff in there. Does electrical cabling generate fluff?

I cannot help but wonder whether the Cambridge Audio amp I bought today will work every day for the next 30 years, as did the Toshiba one which it replaces.
Ordinarily, as amps go, I would consider that to represent exceptionally good value for money.
Only I never paid anything for it. It was given to me as it was someone's interim amp, while they waited for the insurance to cough for their much higher quality stereo, of which they had been burgled.

What does one do with dead electricals these days? Can I stick it in my recycling bin?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12374 on: 20 August, 2017, 02:57:20 pm »
What does one do with dead electricals these days? Can I stick it in my recycling bin?

I save them up and take them to the 'small electricals' wossname at the tip.