Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2181422 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #3275 on: 23 March, 2011, 07:11:22 pm »
I've swapped front lights around on the Longstaff to give a better illumination of the kerbside & less dazzle to oncoming traffic,plus changed the rear LED.The one used the other night was intermittently going off of it's own volition.ICBA to fettlefix&cure it so replaced it

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3276 on: 23 March, 2011, 07:14:35 pm »
Fiddling with the saddle position on the Bat Bike and being reminded why I'm not that big a fan of Thomson seatposts, even if they do look very nice indeed (doubly so in black).

Also, gear cable tweakage.

« Reply #3277 on: 23 March, 2011, 07:23:06 pm »
I replaced the cassette and chain on my mountain bike.  It's amazing how quickly it gets through them in the winter mud and gloop.  I also adjusted the bar height on my pootling bike and tightened the headset, which had come loose.  I then gave the Brommie its periodic pump, clean and lube.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3278 on: 23 March, 2011, 07:42:15 pm »
Some web stuff, most of a laptop, some user-training, a printer, a couple of backups, some unhappy AV software, an interactive whiteboard, a couple of user accounts, a quote, kicked a supplier who hasn't done what they said, some software installation, some speakers, a codec problem, and a few other bits and bobs.  Quite a lot.  Not enough.  Tomorrow is another day.

« Reply #3279 on: 23 March, 2011, 08:01:24 pm »
The Roubaix bottom bracket area was creaking a little, so it got stripped, cleaned and regreased so it is ready for The Dean (the manual for the ceramic BB states that is has a service interval of 100 hours  :o ).

I was very pleasantly surprised at how quick and easy a job it is, but am not sure about the need to carry a torque wrench and tube of grease around long rides in order to service it on time :)

« Reply #3280 on: 23 March, 2011, 08:13:26 pm »
I had to fettle my pond today, it wasn't really on today's jobs list, but I started the day looking out of the bedroom window and hardly being able to see the fish the water looked so green. I made a mental note that I needed to change the UV bulb in my filter as these supposedly only last a yearish, and plug in my blanket weed controller gadget.

I went to boil the kettle for my 11'ses and looked out the window again and to my horror the pond then had hardly any water in it  :facepalm:
The pipes sometimes get a bit brittle over a cold winter and then split when the pressure is high in the system in spring, and this is what had happened .... pumping 5000 litres of pond water out into the garden. I looked at my mud-loving dog and saw that he looked browner than usual  ::-)

So I never got my 11 o'clock coffee, instead I rushed out to turn the pumps off, fettle a new pump-filter pipe and while I was at it decided it would be a really good time to scoop the crap out of the bottom since there was only 8 inches of water in there rather than the usual 4 foot. Fortunately it was a nice warm day for wallowing in the pond for 2 hours. The pond is now topped up with 3 rainwater butts worth of water and the rest conditioned tap water. The fish seem quite happy again now  ;D

« Reply #3281 on: 23 March, 2011, 08:18:56 pm »
...I made a mental note that I needed to change the UV bulb in my filter as these supposedly only last a yearish...

I've no experience of UV lamps in a pond application - however, I do know they have an extremely finite life, and stop doing the UV thing, in other circumstances.
So, probably not so much 'supposedly'....

« Reply #3282 on: 23 March, 2011, 08:25:09 pm »
...I made a mental note that I needed to change the UV bulb in my filter as these supposedly only last a yearish...

I've no experience of UV lamps in a pond application - however, I do know they have an extremely finite life, and stop doing the UV thing, in other circumstances.
So, probably not so much 'supposedly'....

This is good to know that I am not wasting £10 a year replacing it  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3283 on: 23 March, 2011, 08:26:53 pm »
I went to boil the kettle for my 11'ses and looked out the window again and to my horror the pond then had hardly any water in it  :facepalm:
The pipes sometimes get a bit brittle over a cold winter and then split when the pressure is high in the system in spring, and this is what had happened .... pumping 5000 litres of pond water out into the garden. I looked at my mud-loving dog and saw that he looked browner than usual  ::-)

This sounds like one for the "what has your dog rolled in today" thread  :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3284 on: 23 March, 2011, 09:37:09 pm »
Finally finished HK's MTB front wheel and set up the front brake. HK diagnosed and replaced the dodgy bike computer transmitter.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3285 on: 23 March, 2011, 11:00:24 pm »
New A530s on the fixed bike.  I've left the cleat tension a little higher than on the old ones.

And yay, I managed to free the old A530 from the old drive-side crank.  These will now go on the Mixer and I will put the M324s away, a failed experiment that left scars on my shins.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3286 on: 24 March, 2011, 08:18:29 am »
I read that as A380's itsbruce :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3287 on: 24 March, 2011, 06:48:21 pm »
\o/ Dawes Horizon finally put back together after a major service / rebuild.  Hopefully I'll be able to give it a test ride tomorrow!

« Reply #3288 on: 25 March, 2011, 12:18:11 am »
I changed the angle of the U lock holder on the seat tube.
Bloody fantastic. Which I'd done it years a few weeks ago when I bought the lock.

« Reply #3289 on: 25 March, 2011, 09:56:11 am »
Swapped some pedals around:

- Took off the really low-end double-sided SPDs from the steel blue bomber
- Took the PD-A520s off the carbon audax and put them on the blue bomber
- Put the PD-A600s that Santa gave me on the carbon audax

Only surprise was that the A600s take an 8mm Allen key from the reverse side and not ye olde pedal spanner.  I have some Dura Ace SPD-SLs that are also Allen key only and have found them a pain to remove - much easier to use the big pedal spanner, hold the back brakes on and whack with the hammer :)

« Reply #3290 on: 25 March, 2011, 08:06:14 pm »
Swapped some pedals around:

- Took off the really low-end double-sided SPDs from the steel blue bomber
- Took the PD-A520s off the carbon audax and put them on the blue bomber
- Put the PD-A600s that Santa gave me on the carbon audax

Only surprise was that the A600s take an 8mm Allen key from the reverse side and not ye olde pedal spanner.  I have some Dura Ace SPD-SLs that are also Allen key only and have found them a pain to remove - much easier to use the big pedal spanner, hold the back brakes on and whack with the hammer :)

Make sure that you have greased the threads of the ones that are Allen key only and consider taking them off and cleaning from time to time.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #3291 on: 25 March, 2011, 09:23:52 pm »
Bloody fantastic. Which I'd done it years a few weeks ago when I bought the lock.

And I found that the holder for my nearly 2kg kryptonite new york 3000 can be dissasembled, rotated through 90degrees, and then fitted to a horizontal bar instead of vertical. Vertical bars are in very short supply on a 'bent trike. The only downside is with the weight of the lock it tends to try to rotate on the bar. Solved by pre wrapping bar with self amalgamating tape. Very grippy stuff that tape.

« Reply #3292 on: 25 March, 2011, 10:33:34 pm »

And I found that the holder for my nearly 2kg kryptonite new york 3000 can be dissasembled, rotated through 90degrees, and then fitted to a horizontal bar instead of vertical. Vertical bars are in very short supply on a 'bent trike. The only downside is with the weight of the lock it tends to try to rotate on the bar. Solved by pre wrapping bar with self amalgamating tape. Very grippy stuff that tape.

The only downside to my mod is that I've moved the lock backwards (it's also a Kryptonite) and it puts even more weight over the rear wheel. Since the bike has a Rohloff, that's a lot of weight although I only notice the distribution when I pick the bike up.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3293 on: 26 March, 2011, 06:26:48 pm »
Fitted my front pannier racks, which involved a bit of adjusting to clear the newly fitted disc caliper.
Swapped the rear wheel to my heavy duty touring one.
Ready for camping trip next week, off to Brecon Beacons area.

« Reply #3294 on: 26 March, 2011, 11:37:09 pm »
I wiped my bike down, cleaned and re-lubed the chain, tightened the gear cables slightly and pumped up the tyres.

I then printed out a miniature route sheet, laminated it, punched a couple of holes in it and tied it to my stem with a reusable zip tie. I was toying with the idea of of cooking a stem-shaped chunk of Fimo modelling stuff with a bulldog clip embedded in it and channels for zip ties, but since I couldn't find any bulldog clip in the house this fettle will have to wait until I buy a suitable one. I have discovered that route sheet holders don't need a rigid base if you laminate the route sheet. Finally I have found a use for my laminator other than making 'missing cat' posters when required.

Ready for Barry's Bristol Ball Buster 200k in the morning :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3295 on: 27 March, 2011, 02:27:30 am »
Not proper fettling, but I've persuaded a bluetooth keyboard to (more-or-less) work with my Android phone.  This is a very very good thing, as touch screens are a work of Stan, and this means I can now use it to carry out conversations in realtime.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3296 on: 27 March, 2011, 04:59:40 pm »
The bike1 is now in its summer rig.  Slick(ish) tyres, no lights, small bag for keys, phone &c under saddle.   :thumbsup:

S
I know, only the one, I'm not a 'proper' cyclist!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3297 on: 27 March, 2011, 06:46:34 pm »
Put a gear cable on my 1970 Moulton Mk 3.  It's now got three gears that work.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3298 on: 27 March, 2011, 06:51:24 pm »
Patched the tube that was replaced during the Dean yesterday. Feeling too lazy to do much else.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3299 on: 27 March, 2011, 08:47:46 pm »
Part 2 of the fettling commenced yesterday. I realised that the North Road Bars I'd put on Verdigris I* would be more suited to Verdigris II. So I took them off complete with front brake and took them to Brighton where I fitted them to V II. This evening I reversed the procedure and have now fitted the Nitto ones onto V I.  As an example of multitasking I have had a chicken roasting at the same time.

* I have decided to follow Tim O's policy of naming bikes by colour. I now have, in order of acquisition:

Black I, the Univega Sno bike.
White, the Inbred
Grey I, the Langster
Black II, the Cotic Roadrat
Grey II, the Planet X Ti Sportive
Purple, the Dave Yates frame I bought from Charlotte
Verdigris I, the Carlton S3X
Verdigris II, the Doug Hartley S2C

[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]