Author Topic: Rocket Stove Design  (Read 4670 times)

Re: Rocket Stove Design
« Reply #25 on: 14 November, 2019, 01:52:34 am »
Nice! 

A thought; could you add some means of regulating the air supply to the stove, in order to allow a low heat/simmer control?

cheers

I suspect that regulating the size of the output pipe would be a better way of allowing a low heat/simmer control. Reducing the size of the chimney pipe would reduce the rocket effect of gases going out the chimney, reducing the amount of air drawn in and thereby reducing heat output. The wood burning stoves that I've used for home heating had a rotating disk in the chimney pipe that did exactly that. It's a very crude, inexact way of regulating the device and, as Ham said, it's very easy to end up with just a pile of sticks burning, not really hot enough to do anything.

« Reply #26 on: 14 November, 2019, 01:20:35 pm »
most good solid fuel stoves (of pretty much all types and sizes) are well sealed and have an adjustable air intake  regulator at the base.  Get this right and such a stove (of domestic size) can 'stay in' overnight, provided the fuel is loaded up correctly.

Regulating the flue instead can work OK but if there are any leaks in the stove body you can find smoke gets pushed out of them.  Adjusting the flue is both easier (you are managing a much larger gas flow) and more difficult (said gas flow is hot, obviously) than regulating the intake.

Ham's design could be regulated either way but it remains to be seen whether the fuel loading flap will seal well enough that it won't either leak air in, or burp smoke out, depending on whether the intake or the flue are used to regulate the flow.

cheers

« Reply #27 on: 14 November, 2019, 03:08:51 pm »
Loving the home made designs.

For those of you that might just want an off the shelf solution I'm happy with my one of these:
https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-anevay-the-horizon-stove-wood-burning-stove.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4ffK9fzp5QIVDUPTCh0wgwpbEAQYBSABEgL_bvD_BwE

Seems to work okay though not super rockety, but decently efficient and good for burning small twigs.  You can get a carry bag for it which is handy if you're planning on taking it on an expedition.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #28 on: 15 November, 2019, 08:26:51 pm »
I use this one https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/RD103.html

Took it on my camping trip this year, works with meths burner or solid fuel
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #29 on: 16 November, 2019, 10:04:05 am »
Elydave I got one of those honey stoves years ago but haven't used it. It didn't have anything for meths etc. What do you have the meths in?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #30 on: 16 November, 2019, 08:19:53 pm »
I bought a trangia burner, works perfectly, there's a purpose designed plate with a circle cut out that you slit in about half way up.  It also works very well with pencil/finger thick sticks. Enough so in fact that I managed to set fire to the piece of wood I had it resting on to stop it singing the grass  :)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens