Author Topic: Hill walking boots NON GORETEX (or other linings)?  (Read 1565 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Hill walking boots NON GORETEX (or other linings)?
« on: 02 November, 2019, 02:58:52 pm »
I don’t like them one darned bit for the hiking I do. (NB I don’t do gaiters, or muddling about near or in bogs, end of!)

Back in the late 90s I had some Meindl Borneo nubuck non ‘membraned’ boots that fitted like a glove and were great, up to a point. Possibly my maintenance regime was sub optimal? The leather eventually cracked and separated from the sole also. But hey, that was after maybe 3 years, lots of miles, whether over the Wiltshire/Berkshire/Hampshire Downs or regular forays up the mountains of Snowdonia. I’d certainly accept to wear out boots in 3 years these days - even if they now cost £230 a pair

They were replaced with some Scarpa fabric Goretex lined jobbies. Very comfortable initially, but VERY sweaty, especially in the summer months = euugh  :-[

Now that I live in the mountains of Snowdonia and want to get me cycling legs to re-learn some more frequent rough surface up and down big hill hiking muscles, wondered if any of you mostly lovely and helpful, disparate YACFers, would have any suggestions or alternatives to the current Meindl Borneos?

Please no, don’t try and convince me about Goretex or Symaptex or any other “membranes”

;)

Diesel

• or Richard
Re: Hill walking boots NON GORETEX (or other linings)?
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2019, 03:11:31 pm »
I'm no expert but I bought my Scarpa Walking Boots around early the 90s and they are still fine. Haven't cared for them particularly thoroughly, but dubbin/ nikwax them occasionally over the years.

They only get occasional use a few times a year but have stood the test of time.

Just bought my 18 year old son similar a year ago - https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/scarpa-mens-sl-activ-boot-B1114032.html (they were £200) at the time. He's used them frequently with scouts and expeditions over the last 12 months and so far they have performed faultlessly.

So if this is the kind of thing you are looking for, I'd say these are worth looking at. And I'd expect them to last more than 3 years of reasonably frequent use.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2019, 05:33:59 pm »

Just bought my 18 year old son similar a year ago - https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/scarpa-mens-sl-activ-boot-B1114032.html (they were £200) at the time. He's used them frequently with scouts and expeditions over the last 12 months and so far they have performed faultlessly.

So if this is the kind of thing you are looking for, I'd say these are worth looking at. And I'd expect them to last more than 3 years of reasonably frequent use.

Thanks Diesel :thumbsup:  they look interesting. I’ll be cycling over to Cotswold in Betws Y Coed next week and hopefully be able to check those out alongside the Meindl Borneo. Many thanks for your helpful suggestion

« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2019, 08:16:25 pm »
And remember, if you (or someone who would be willing to help you out) is a member of Cycling UK, there’s a 15% discount at Cotswold, which is not to be sniffed at for a £200+ item.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2019, 08:36:23 pm »
My boots are Altberg, made near Richmond in North Yorks. I don't know if they have any goretex in them. Taunton Leisure sell them I think.

You can get extra discount from Go Outdoors (I'm pretty sure you can't buy Altberg from them) with National Trust or Camping & Caravanning Club cards. It's worth making sure you have one of their discount cards as for £5 a year you do get a massive discount on your goods.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2019, 09:24:53 pm »
Why boots? If your feet are getting sweaty, why not wear something lighter weight.
ie approach shoes or trail running shoes. Plenty of options without Goretrex. And much more effective for building up muscles.

« Reply #6 on: 02 November, 2019, 10:43:58 pm »
If you're staying on dry terrain, trail running shoes are great. La Sportiva Wildcats are my personal favorite, but there's plenty of other options out there. Lowa make nice walking boots if you really want boots, some with Gore-Tex and some without.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7 on: 03 November, 2019, 08:36:12 am »
Thanks folks, much appreciated - some things to consider :)

Robh - yes I do have a CTC/CUK card  :)

Wowbagger - without going through every single boot that Altberg make, and they do look like fine things indeed, most if not all seem to have ‘Sympatex’ waterproof linings  :(

Fuaran and mark - good thinking - will do a bit more 007/FBI type investigatin’

« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2019, 07:25:24 am »
A decent goretex boot shouldn't be much more sweaty than a non-goretex.

I have these:
https://www.keenfootwear.com/en-ca/p/M-TARGHEE-III-MID-WP.html?dwvar_M-TARGHEE-III-MID-WP_color=1018570&cgid=activity_hiking_mens

While they will be hot in the summer, they're certainly usable. Mine are, uhmm 5-6 years old now?. Mostly woodeed mountainsides, but some alpine rocky stuff as well and have held up well.
One that really impressed was when on one winter hike in -8C, I broke through the ice on a shallow creek, deep enough that water got into the boot and the membrane expelled enough that I did not have any issues with cold feet.

rr

« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2019, 02:05:14 pm »
Sock choice is key with all walking boots,and particularly with ones that have a breathable membrane. You need a good fit, breathability and non-absorbance. Otherwise you will not get the water vapour concentration gradient you need to get it out of the boots.
I use a thin coolmax liner and a thicker, synthetic, cushioned sock; that combination keeps my feet warm and dry, use a cotton liner and it gets soggy very quickly.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk