Author Topic: Didcot  (Read 166691 times)

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
Re: Didcot
« Reply #75 on: 06 October, 2010, 08:34:03 am »
Wind power. It's bean done before.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #76 on: 01 November, 2010, 06:17:33 pm »
Mrs B & I went to Didcot yesterday, & had a very nice time. She wants to go back on a day when it isn't raining.

We didn't go into the town, though. We walked the other way out of the station, to look at the trains. Ah, the smells of engine oil & tar!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #77 on: 01 November, 2010, 06:28:36 pm »
Ah, the smells of engine oil & tar!
... which of course some of our (near) neighbours whine about incessantly  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #78 on: 01 November, 2010, 08:18:05 pm »
Can you believe this is a six page thread?  mattc, you should send it to the Didcot Herald as affirmation of Didcot's heritage and standing as one of England's greatest towns.

Didcot...as seen on TV.

Crimewatch leads to Didcot woman's arrest (From Herald Series)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #79 on: 01 November, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »
Mrs B & I went to Didcot yesterday, & had a very nice time. She wants to go back on a day when it isn't raining.

This almost never happens...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #80 on: 02 November, 2010, 09:15:19 am »
Quote from: Fab Foodie

Ditto
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #81 on: 02 November, 2010, 09:22:48 am »
Famous songs about Didcot (not)

Take the last train to Didcot
Rainy night in Didcot
24 hrs from Didcot

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #82 on: 02 November, 2010, 09:26:38 am »
Didcot on my mind
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #83 on: 02 November, 2010, 09:28:08 am »
24 hrs from Didcot
This would be a good name for an Audax.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #84 on: 02 November, 2010, 09:57:04 am »
The Didcot Dart

« Reply #85 on: 02 November, 2010, 01:21:39 pm »

Ditto
If you take care to go directly from the station to the Railway Centre, you're not really in Didcot. It's a separate universe, physically adjacent to the town but separate from it in every other way.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #86 on: 02 November, 2010, 01:25:22 pm »

Ditto
If you take care to go directly from the station to the Railway Centre, you're not really in Didcot. It's a separate universe, physically adjacent to the town but separate from it in every other way.
Can't help thinking that there's the germ of an idea for a Dr. Who story in that idea...  The Doctor versus the Chavs.... hmmmm....
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #87 on: 03 November, 2010, 12:09:31 pm »
It is nice here.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #88 on: 03 November, 2010, 02:25:54 pm »
Looks like you were London-bound; 1209 - that's quite a leisurely start to the day. ;) 
[Delayed 1153, I presume. ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #89 on: 03 November, 2010, 02:26:55 pm »
Did a Monty Python & The Holy Grail stylee God pop out out of the rectangular hole in the sky?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #90 on: 03 November, 2010, 02:30:47 pm »
It is nice here.

<Panto Mode>
Oh No It Isn't!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #91 on: 03 November, 2010, 08:02:59 pm »
Looks like you were London-bound; 1209 - that's quite a leisurely start to the day. ;) 
[Delayed 1153, I presume. ]

I'm an owl.  ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #92 on: 03 November, 2010, 08:45:24 pm »
You can have the full set now:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #93 on: 04 November, 2010, 02:56:50 pm »
http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/hsdidcotnews/8493243.Sherlock_movie_stars_steam_into_Didcot/
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #94 on: 04 November, 2010, 06:32:04 pm »
Yeah, a couple of old geezers in oil-stained overalls & flat caps told us that's what the huge green screen & 17 container-loads of stuff (a couple of which were labelled 'Big Bertha') were for. There were a couple of very bored film company security guards keeping an eye on it all.

One presumes the railway society is getting loadsa dosh.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #95 on: 24 December, 2010, 07:07:57 pm »
Do they decorate the cooling towers for Christmas? 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #96 on: 24 December, 2010, 07:12:04 pm »
Do they decorate the cooling towers for Christmas? 
You mean the ones in Sutton Courtenay?!?

Not really, but they put the red aircraft warning lights into disco mode.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #97 on: 24 December, 2010, 07:13:44 pm »
You've reminded me - something far more evil was recently installed on the road past the power station. Now that everyone's gone home, this seems like a good time to sneak out bad news:

Google Maps
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #98 on: 24 December, 2010, 07:30:16 pm »
Ah, I wrote about that a while ago...

Given my recumbent-based allergy to changing trains for a 12 mile journey, I rode down to Didcot from Oxford.  The cooling towers were intermittently visible in the distance from about half way.  As I approached Didcot, a serious-looking razor wire fence with night vision security cameras at very regular intervals appeared on my left.  "Ah," I thought "Didcot power station.  Coal-fired so they probably need the security to keep the protesting hippies out."

Then I saw the sign and realised that the building on the other side of the fence was in fact the distribution centre for the Daily Mail.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #99 on: 24 December, 2010, 07:38:34 pm »
Ah, I wrote about that a while ago...

Given my recumbent-based allergy to changing trains for a 12 mile journey, I rode down to Didcot from Oxford.  The cooling towers were intermittently visible in the distance from about half way.  As I approached Didcot, a serious-looking razor wire fence with night vision security cameras at very regular intervals appeared on my left.  "Ah," I thought "Didcot power station.  Coal-fired so they probably need the security to keep the protesting hippies out."

Then I saw the sign and realised that the building on the other side of the fence was in fact the distribution centre for the [CENSORED]
So you did; but let's be careful - this knowledge should be rationed.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------