Author Topic: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub  (Read 134389 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub
« Reply #175 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:07:39 pm »
Mrs. Wow and I have converted to Islam and will now be riding our tandem to Mecca instead.

Actually, that's a lie and I'm intending to be at the Hurdlemakers for 7.30.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #176 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:15:57 pm »
I've just booked accommodation at the Ferry Boat, so V and I will be there somehow! Still thinking about the logistics; bear with me...

« Reply #177 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:20:06 pm »
Mrs. Wow and I have converted to Islam and will now be riding our tandem to Mecca instead.

Actually, that's a lie and I'm intending to be at the Hurdlemakers for 7.30.
Going to bingo on her own now?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #178 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:21:00 pm »
I've just booked accommodation at the Ferry Boat, so V and I will be there somehow! Still thinking about the logistics; bear with me...

You'll have a bear with you?   :o

« Reply #179 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:22:59 pm »
You'll have a bear with you?   :o
That'll work out OK. Mrs. Wow is at bingo so the bear can stoke.  :thumbsup:

edit: I'm sure you wouldn't mind riding with a bear behind.

TimC

« Reply #180 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:23:12 pm »
You may call her that; I wouldn't dare! ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #181 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:25:35 pm »

But that seems to imply that I have your permission... ;)

« Reply #182 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:26:34 pm »
If I turn up may I call her That or should I stick with Mrs. C until we know each other better?
See we do have etiquette on the pub nights.  ;)

TimC

« Reply #183 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:59:59 pm »
She is unaware of this conversation, so the reaction might be, um, unpredictable! Don't worry, she's not very scary at all. Honest.

« Reply #184 on: 26 March, 2009, 03:04:21 pm »
She is unaware of this conversation, so the reaction might be, um, unpredictable! Don't worry, she's not very scary at all. Honest.
So is That a Thai mail order bride? Best let us know now so we don't look shocked when we meet her.  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #185 on: 26 March, 2009, 03:17:55 pm »
TimC - please ask your undoubtedly lovely lady to be gentle with Del when he makes some Thai bride smart arsed remark.  He is such a smashing chap and takes good photos.  We need him in one piece so he can continue his duties as team snapper.

Everyone - I will not be joining you tomorrow night.  I am not a happy chappie.  Whilst trying to get into London by train last Saturday the bus I was travelling on  ::-) >:( ::-) drove past The Hoop in Stock.  It looked very good and I wondered if it could be the target for a subsequent ride.  Anyone been there?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #186 on: 26 March, 2009, 03:36:02 pm »
TimC - please ask your undoubtedly lovely lady to be gentle with Del when he makes some Thai bride smart arsed remark.  He is such a smashing chap and takes good photos.  We need him in one piece so he can continue his duties as team snapper.

Everyone - I will not be joining you tomorrow night.  I am not a happy chappie.  Whilst trying to get into London by train last Saturday the bus I was travelling on  ::-) >:( ::-) drove past The Hoop in Stock.  It looked very good and I wondered if it could be the target for a subsequent ride.  Anyone been there?

Yes. Fatters and I were there last Friday. It does good beer. The Adnams was very good, and Fatters even commented on how fine the Stella was. I didn't think Stella ever changed.

There are several pubs in Stock. There are also some Compasses in West Hanningfield and if we really wanted to finish with a curry one night we could go to the De Beauvoir Arms (known to locals as "The Beavers") in Downham, which is now an Indian restaurant.

So you are about to organise another ride which you are not going to attend! :thumbsup:

Downham is a short ride (2 miles or so) from Wickford station and only about 9 miles from Chelmsford. The ride to Wickford has a great advantage in that there is a spectacular downhill allowing speeds of up to 40mph to be achieved.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #187 on: 26 March, 2009, 03:43:51 pm »
So you are about to organise another ride which you are not going to attend! :thumbsup:

You're not funny  >:(  ;D

I don't mind organising the next ride.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #188 on: 26 March, 2009, 03:52:08 pm »
Pubs in or near Stock:

The Ship
The White Hart, Margaretting Tye
The Compasses, W. Hanningfield
The Cock
The Hoop
The Bear
The Baker's Arms

Ramsden Heath also boasts the Nag's Head, the White Horse and the Fox & Hounds (more Ramsden Bellhouse) and Downham the Beavers (see above).

Of these, I think that White Hart Inn, Margaretting Tye, Essex, CM4 9JX -  pub details # beerintheevening.com gets the highest rating. Its disadvantage is that it is a grinding slog back up the hill into Stock.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #189 on: 27 March, 2009, 10:18:20 am »
Unless the weather forecast turns a lot worse than it currently shows(*), then I'll still be riding over from Witham via the route upthread.

Cheers,
Mark

(*)  According to the metoffice site it'll be
1800  7°C WSW 16 mph
Night  4°C WSW 15 mph
with light rain showers

Yay!  The met. office are getting more optimistic about tonight's weather

1800  6°C WSW 10 mph
2100  4°C WSW 9 mph

- a tad less wind and no rain showers indicated any more  ;D

Is anybody else planning to ride out from Witham?  If it's just me I might be tempted to set off a little bit earlier (6:45ish) to try and make it to the Hurdlemaker's by 7:30pm, but if others are coming I don't mind hanging on until all have assembled (I'll probably be on my commute bike since it's less twitchy than my road bike and hence less likely to throw me off on the way home, so I won't be breaking any records going up North Hill tonight, not that there's any danger of that. even on the other bike)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

TimC

« Reply #190 on: 27 March, 2009, 10:19:34 am »
OK, plot for tonight. V will be later back from school (steady, Del....) than is ideal, and tomorrow morning is, a) tight for time and, b) 'kin windy and probably wet. So we will be taking t'motor from home to the Ferry Boat, then cycling to the Hurdlemaker's for 7:30 to join the pootle (un)steadily back to the Ferry Boat where we will consume a nightcap or three before retiring to the AA-Five-Thingy-Rated luxury accommodation for the night. Then drive back in the morning. I know, it's pathetic but there you go. We ride for fun!

Is food part of the plan, or should we eat before riding?

TimC

« Reply #191 on: 27 March, 2009, 10:22:11 am »
Yay!  The met. office are getting more optimistic about tonight's weather

1800  6°C WSW 10 mph
2100  4°C WSW 9 mph

- a tad less wind and no rain showers indicated any more  ;D

That's good news - a useful tail component as it gets colder. Still need to insulate well, however - I'll be using Stella insulation, I feel.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #192 on: 27 March, 2009, 10:38:46 am »
Greetings all, still unhappy cyclist reporting in. 

My cycling plans for this weekend were originally very exciting i.e. two pub rides on consecutive days.  Now I'm not doing any  :'(  Events have conspired against me - such is life.

My problem is that I have a brand new bike (well the frame is new, as are some of the bits scroll halfway down this page for details if you're interested) sat in the garage itching to get out on the road.  Therefore, I wanted to give everyone a heads up that I am hoping to do an EMERGENCY Essex pub ride next Friday.  Now, I don't want anyone getting too excited, my record for proposing a plan then backing out is not good at the moment.  If it's going to happen I'll be back on here sometime next week.  Hopefully some of you lot will be able to come as well.  But, if I have to go by myself then so be it - I just need to get out!  I don't have an idea of which pubs, I will work that out next week.

Have fun tonight, I will be thinking of you.

« Reply #193 on: 27 March, 2009, 11:01:20 am »
Getting to the Hurdlemakers is becoming a possibility now.

OD, shame you can't make it  :(. When it comes to picture taking I'll try to get a space between two others and then we can draw you in at a later date.  :thumbsup:

TimC, I hope you don't think I'm being rude about Mrs. C.  :o Ordinarily I have to meet them first and even then it takes at least ten minutes for me to be rude about someone. Just ask the fat hairy bloke.  :P

TimC

« Reply #194 on: 27 March, 2009, 11:06:03 am »

TimC, I hope you don't think I'm being rude about Mrs. C.  :o Ordinarily I have to meet them first and even then it takes at least ten minutes for me to be rude about someone. Just ask the fat hairy bloke.  :P

No worries, Del - I can cope! Mrs C is a pussycat, as you'll discover.

« Reply #195 on: 27 March, 2009, 11:11:52 am »
OD, I should be delighted be able to attend your EMERGENCY EFNRttP next week, and as I don't have any time trials or such like on next weekend, I will be back to drinking like a trooper! ;) April WARTY the day after isn't it?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #196 on: 27 March, 2009, 11:25:37 am »
OD, I should be delighted be able to attend your EMERGENCY EFNRttP next week, and as I don't have any time trials or such like on next weekend, I will be back to drinking like a trooper! ;) April WARTY the day after isn't it?

Smashing.  Watch this space as they say.

« Reply #197 on: 27 March, 2009, 03:32:28 pm »
I'm now unlikely to make this fine event. I cannot even begin to describe how weally busy I am. I'll either get home too late to make the ride, or I'll be so fed up when I do eventually get home that only cheap lager from the local shop will lighten my mood.

I should be up for The Viper run tomorrow though  :thumbsup:
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #198 on: 27 March, 2009, 03:51:02 pm »
Shame you can't make it bobb, TOKaMaK and OD  :(
See (some of) you at the Viper and maybe the E-EFNRttP?

TimC, probably a good idea to have some food prior to departing for the Hurdlemakers.

« Reply #199 on: 27 March, 2009, 04:03:26 pm »
Have fun riders! I may get out tomorrow for a flying Viper visit on my shiny new bike, weather permitting. Otherwise E-EFNRttP is a goer for next week.