Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 194247 times)

Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #875 on: 14 November, 2018, 11:42:22 am »
It is also very expensive

« Reply #876 on: 14 November, 2018, 12:08:05 pm »
To get back on track. I was seduced by the claims of finish line Kevlar sealant. I put it into two new tyres on rims that were designed for tubeless. The rear tyre has stayed up but the front has deflated on 5 successive days despite in excess of 100km and multiple re inflations to 100psi.

I will be using stans in future.

Had the same experiance.  On paper it sounds like it should be great but in practice the liquid bit just doesnt seem to want to "cure" properly and make the seal.  Maybe they had to make it thinner to carry the carbon fibre without turning to porridge, I don't know.  Whatever it is, it doesnt work.

My initial experience was similar, with lots of leakage around the bead and overnight deflation, but once I'd gone out for a couple of 25mile + rides it all sealed up nicely, and retains pressure as well as the tyres I've used Doc Blue on.

I've yet to have a puncture tho, so have no idea of the level of performance there. I may top up that pair of tyres to make up for the initial losses.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #877 on: 16 November, 2018, 10:44:55 am »
i haven't had this problem yet, but it can happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYBM-WCAcsE

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #878 on: 16 November, 2018, 11:13:49 am »
i haven't had this problem yet, but it can happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYBM-WCAcsE

Oh FFS - that was painful to watch, he even said he was going to ignore the thing that would have got him back in the game (soapy water!) and failed to adequately clean the tyre/rim.  It wasn't a failure of tubeless - it was a failure of his workflow, the time wasted was of his own making unfortunately!

Good bits from the video was showing how easy it was to remove the tyre with his hands.
Regards,

Joergen

simonp

« Reply #879 on: 16 November, 2018, 11:15:50 am »
I said I'd only go tubeless when Continental joined in.

Now they have, I have to make a decision.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #880 on: 16 November, 2018, 02:12:24 pm »

Good bits from the video was showing how easy it was to remove the tyre with his hands.

everyone who used tubeless knows it's easy, or at least no harder than tubed tyres..
come to think of it i hardly ever use tyre levers on any wheels i own

« Reply #881 on: 16 November, 2018, 06:23:01 pm »
Specific question (probably for mike) what size valves do I need?  I have Kinlin XR22Ts.  Should it be depth (~22mm) + a couple cm?  (I'm guessing 55mm would do as that gives me enough space for pump and knuts to hold it in place).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #882 on: 16 November, 2018, 08:46:53 pm »
Specific question (probably for mike) what size valves do I need?  I have Kinlin XR22Ts.  Should it be depth (~22mm) + a couple cm?  (I'm guessing 55mm would do as that gives me enough space for pump and knuts to hold it in place).

55mm will be plenty. 40mm would probably be fine, but shorter might make inflating tyres difficult, depending on how well and where your pump seals against the valve stem. I’ve got a pair of valves on one set of rims that are a bit too short and tbh there a pain, but the tyres don’t lose air very quickly and I haven’t yet bothered to swap them out.

« Reply #883 on: 16 November, 2018, 09:39:51 pm »
Thanks!  I thought I would err on the side of longer as the valves on my tubes only just poke out far enough for the pump.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #884 on: 30 January, 2019, 10:22:16 am »
M'colleague asked for my advice this morning...

She bought a new commuting bike fitted with tubeless tyres in October and has got on well with them so far, but this morning she found her rear tyre had gone flat overnight. She pumped it up and rode to work but it is losing air pressure.

I said it sounds like it could just need topping up with fresh sealant (which is what I did to successfully cure similar symptoms) but does anyone have any thoughts on other potential causes and solutions?

She also asked how she goes about topping up the sealant... I tried to explain but could see her eyes glazing over. Maybe it would be easier to just do it for her.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #885 on: 30 January, 2019, 04:57:06 pm »
When cleaning the lanefilth from the Mason after last weekend's wet 200, I found a couple of substantial flints embedded in the tread of the rear tyre*.  There's been no loss of pressure, nor any sign of sealant around the cuts.

What does the panel think:  Should I remove the flints or leave them there?

* Hutchinson Fusion5 All Season in 28-622.  Impressively grippy and has shrugged off half a dozen winter 200s so far

« Reply #886 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:04:43 pm »
Id say pull it out, see if it seals, and if not put a tubeless patch on the inside of the tyre.

Better to do this at home, at your convenience, in the warm and dry...

« Reply #887 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:26:25 pm »
Better to do this at home, at your convenience, in the warm and dry...

...and with a spare tyre to hand.

Thanks.  I'll give it a go

« Reply #888 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:50:45 pm »
If you are a real tightarse you can even suck the sealant into a syringe and reuse it when you remount the patched tyre. ;D

You won't need a spare tyre, I suspect. Patching works well IME.

« Reply #889 on: 11 February, 2019, 02:31:26 pm »
To get back on track. I was seduced by the claims of finish line Kevlar sealant. I put it into two new tyres on rims that were designed for tubeless. The rear tyre has stayed up but the front has deflated on 5 successive days despite in excess of 100km and multiple re inflations to 100psi.

Had the same experiance.  On paper it sounds like it should be great but in practice the liquid bit just doesnt seem to want to "cure" properly and make the seal.  Maybe they had to make it thinner to carry the carbon fibre without turning to porridge, I don't know.  Whatever it is, it doesnt work.

My initial experience was similar, with lots of leakage around the bead and overnight deflation, but once I'd gone out for a couple of 25mile + rides it all sealed up nicely, and retains pressure as well as the tyres I've used Doc Blue on.

I've yet to have a puncture tho, so have no idea of the level of performance there. I may top up that pair of tyres to make up for the initial losses.

Well an update. Left to their own devices (ie in the shed untouched) the tyres with Finish Line in continue to deflate, one at an almost acceptable rate, the other most definitely not, with leakage around the rim as evidenced by escaping moisture. It might be a tyre bead issue, as the rims were previously used successfully with a different tyre.

Anyway, after some thought, I've decided to revert to latex (or in my case pseudo latex Caffelatex) sealant. And I'm switching tyres to Fusion 5 All Seasons.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #890 on: 11 February, 2019, 02:51:28 pm »

Has anyone tried flying with tubeless tyres? Any issues to be be aware of?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #891 on: 11 February, 2019, 03:00:39 pm »
Unless you get a hand inspection by someone who insists you should completely deflate your tyres you're fine. (I always let a little air out so I can declare in all honesty that yes, I did deflate my tyres  ;D) If you deflate the tyre to the point that the bead comes loose from the lip of the rim you're SOL unless you bring a compressor.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #892 on: 11 February, 2019, 03:33:29 pm »

J

I flew at Xmas without problems, just dropped them down to 30psi or so.  I pontificated over what to do but the general google results showed the cargo to be pressureised for circa 10,000ft and designed to be habitable by animals, so its not a huge pressure change in real terms.... if the hold depressureises, there's more to worry about than sealant all over the inside of a bike box IMHO.
Regards,

Joergen

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #893 on: 12 February, 2019, 12:21:20 pm »

Cheers. Am trying to work out what to run on the TCR (and how to get there)

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #894 on: 12 February, 2019, 12:53:41 pm »
Even if the hold is completely depressurised, it's still only a change of about 1 bar/ 15 psi. So it won't make much difference to your tyres.

« Reply #895 on: 12 February, 2019, 01:07:37 pm »
The hold is the same pressure vessel as the cabin - ther cabin floor is not airtight - so if the hold depressurises you have bigger things to worry about as you lose consciousness and glide gently into the ocean.

« Reply #896 on: 13 February, 2019, 01:38:34 pm »

Well an update. Left to their own devices (ie in the shed untouched) the tyres with Finish Line in continue to deflate, one at an almost acceptable rate, the other most definitely not, with leakage around the rim as evidenced by escaping moisture. It might be a tyre bead issue, as the rims were previously used successfully with a different tyre.

Anyway, after some thought, I've decided to revert to latex (or in my case pseudo latex Caffelatex) sealant. And I'm switching tyres to Fusion 5 All Seasons.

I've had some finishline in my MTB tyres for a few months. They have finally stopped weeping - but does that mean they are sealed or does it mean that the juice has all dried up....?

Anyway, been using Caffelatex on my other bikes now and am quite happy with it. I say that, but i don't actually know if it's saved my bacon at all yet.

Ben T

« Reply #897 on: 13 February, 2019, 02:33:35 pm »

J

Even if it completely depressurises it will only make a difference of about 25%.
The relative pressure difference between tyres (70 psi = ~5bar) and atmosphere (~1bar) is ~4 bar.
If the atmosphere drops to 0, it is a difference of ~5bar, instead of 4, which is still only like having the tyres inflated to 87 psi on the ground, which they can easily handle.

« Reply #898 on: 13 February, 2019, 05:38:21 pm »
This is good guide to flying and covers what has been discussed here: https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/bikes-public-transport/bikes-air

On a different topic, got an old wheel out yesterday, and could not get the tyre off on one side (S-One + Pancenti SL23), try as hard as I could - ended up cutting it off as was a worn out tyre, but is there a trick to unseating recalcitrant beads? Felt like the sealant had effectively glued it to the rim.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #899 on: 13 February, 2019, 05:42:58 pm »
Yes, I had to resort to using a bench vice. It worked (using leverage) but I was worried about what would have happened if I had a failure out on the road that couldn't be fixed by a worm.

It seemed to be just that rim / tyre combo and I've swapped rims since. They were WTB ST rims with WTB Horizon tyres.

I now have WTB KOM rims and WTB Horizon tyres (all new) and I haven't had a problem.