Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 399618 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #1625 on: 05 November, 2014, 10:39:17 am »
Either that or Santa's got Alzheimer's :)

I thought he had a b0rked leg...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1626 on: 05 November, 2014, 10:52:27 am »
^^^ so that's what happened to our chimney.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1627 on: 05 November, 2014, 04:02:01 pm »
GN: According to New Scientist, a DNA sample can ID the snake that bit you so that the correct antidote can be found

BN: The results are coming by Royal Mail.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1628 on: 05 November, 2014, 05:18:04 pm »
GN: According to New Scientist, a DNA sample can ID the snake that bit you so that the correct antidote can be found

At least couriers aren't involved ...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1629 on: 06 November, 2014, 02:07:01 pm »
GN: I had a parcel delivered to home this morning.
BN: I am work so I cannot unpack it.

DPD did a good job. At 8:45 I use the interweb tracking to tell me that my parcel is at Spring Meadow Road, Cardiff. 9:30 I get an e-mail your package will be delivered between 10:05 and 11:05 by Robert.  I phone home to warn my parents to expect a package. At 11:10 I click the tracking link and it says it was delivered at 10:08.

« Reply #1630 on: 07 November, 2014, 10:21:55 am »
BN: The first three boiler repair people I called couldn't get to us anytime soon.

More BN: Our ancient boiler is too old for British Gas to be interested on their fixed price scheme (their list of boilers claims "NEVER PRODUCED", although I have evidence to the contrary in my airing cupboard).

GN: The most local repair person called me back, can come tomorrow.

Not sure how it'll turn out yet news: I've got to go and get the PCB that I've diagnosed is the fault today. I'm reasonably confident that "PCB burn in the corner" will be at least part of what is wrong. If there's anything else wrong it probably won't get fixed tomorrow.

GN: Sun's out and the house is warming up!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1631 on: 07 November, 2014, 10:47:01 am »
GN: A box containing some rather spiffy brake levers and a set of 10-spd bar-end shifters has arrived from A Certain Bikeshop in Manchester  :thumbsup:
GN2: After last night's Swedish modular furniture shenanigans I now know I can wield an Allen key without serious repercussions.
GN3: I can finally start rebuilding the Croix de Fer (and, more to the point, finally take the knackered bits to the tip now that I can drive again)

BN: Probably won't be riding it 'properly' until the new year although installation on the turbo is a distinct possibility.

« Reply #1632 on: 07 November, 2014, 01:54:31 pm »
BN: The first three boiler repair people I called couldn't get to us anytime soon.

More BN: Our ancient boiler is too old for British Gas to be interested on their fixed price scheme (their list of boilers claims "NEVER PRODUCED", although I have evidence to the contrary in my airing cupboard).

Not sure how it'll turn out yet news: I've got to go and get the PCB that I've diagnosed is the fault today. I'm reasonably confident that "PCB burn in the corner" will be at least part of what is wrong. If there's anything else wrong it probably won't get fixed tomorrow.

I have a local bloke (lives two streets away) who services my 1980s boiler for a modest cost & assures me on his occasional visits (drinking Mrs B's herb tea while filling out his invoices) it doesn't need replacing yet. He even has a mate who lives in the street between ours & his, who can do the job if he's not available.

I'm sticking to him like glue.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1633 on: 08 November, 2014, 05:07:13 pm »

Not sure how it'll turn out yet news: I've got to go and get the PCB that I've diagnosed is the fault today. I'm reasonably confident that "PCB burnt in the corner" will be at least part of what is wrong. If there's anything else wrong it probably won't get fixed tomorrow.

BN: As well as the PCB one of the connectors had melted enough to be declared unfit.

More BN: Repair man didn't have one with him. (In all my dealings with various boiler install / servicing / repair types the electrical side has never been their forte. But at least he didn't cut the wires to the thermostat or tell me that the extra resistance of thicker cables would be a problem.)

GN: He's coming back Monday, hopes he has one in his store.

Hmm news: If he doesn't he started talking about new wiring looms, which strikes me as overkill. I've just found the bit on Farnell, its an 8 way * 1 row 0.2" molex.

BN: Maplin don't seem to stock them otherwise I could get one tomorrow.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1634 on: 08 November, 2014, 05:55:44 pm »
But at least he didn't cut the wires to the thermostat or tell me that the extra resistance of thicker cables would be a problem.)

Nah, 'experts' usually reserve that sort of BS for WIMMIN!

« Reply #1635 on: 08 November, 2014, 08:33:08 pm »
But at least he didn't cut the wires to the thermostat or tell me that the extra resistance of thicker cables would be a problem.)

I've had both in the past  ::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1636 on: 08 November, 2014, 08:55:47 pm »

I've had both in the past  ::-)

Sympathies! I'd still venture that Kim, AuntyC and some of the other techy women here have had even MOAR techy BS...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1637 on: 09 November, 2014, 05:18:48 pm »
BN:  I've been waiting over an hour for our builder to not turn up.

GN:  Just went to the kitchen and spotted the shadow of someone pottering about on our roof cast against the neighbours' wall.  He must have sneaked in the back somehow.

That's not funny and should be in the "I'm getting old" thread!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1638 on: 09 November, 2014, 05:19:39 pm »
@Tim Hall: the colour of your bike is atnegam.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1639 on: 09 November, 2014, 05:21:58 pm »

GN:  Just went to the kitchen and spotted the shadow of someone pottering about on our roof cast against the neighbours' wall.  He must have sneaked in the back somehow.

I'd actually forgotten why I dropped in here, which is to say that the Good News is that Dez has fixed the bog.

The Bad News was that a day or two ago he somehow managed to snap the metal handle of the flushing mechanism. He can be a remarkable klutz at times, that older son of mine.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1640 on: 09 November, 2014, 06:19:05 pm »

I'd actually forgotten why I dropped in here, which is to say that the Good News is that Dez has fixed the bog.

The Bad News was that a day or two ago he somehow managed to snap the metal handle of the flushing mechanism. He can be a remarkable klutz at times, that older son of mine.

A metal part of my bog-flushing mechanism suffered a rust/fatigue fracture recently; these things can just fail from old age...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1641 on: 09 November, 2014, 07:20:01 pm »
Hurrah: Dr Larrington has been appointed a Visiting International Person of Æxcellent1 at the University of Western Australia :thumbsup:

Bah: It doesn't take effect for about two years :(

1: Or something academic, anyway
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1642 on: 09 November, 2014, 08:27:15 pm »

A metal part of my bog-flushing mechanism suffered a rust/fatigue fracture recently; these things can just fail from old age...
This was the chrome-plated handle. There was no evidence of a previous crack and Dez did say "I sort of lost balance" when flushing the bog. I don't know what sort of balancing act he was involved in.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1643 on: 09 November, 2014, 08:50:11 pm »

given a critical time of sub two hours, I would suspect that this would be a useful tool for a coroner rather than a doctor
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1644 on: 10 November, 2014, 12:26:48 pm »
GN - our choice of an iPad for my Father's 81st birthday present was generally well received.

BN - he's somehow managed to persuade it to default to Romanian.......  this means I'll have to go up again & fix it  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1645 on: 10 November, 2014, 12:56:15 pm »
Mine went into Czech for a while but myslím si že je to teď v pořádku.

Oh, wait...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1646 on: 10 November, 2014, 06:54:58 pm »
GN: I have the rest of the week free from emptying my sack.

BN: The weather looks like it will be shite.

GN: I am off to Bishop's Castle on Friday for a weekend of beer and puerile, laddish behaviour.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #1647 on: 12 November, 2014, 01:27:17 pm »

Not sure how it'll turn out yet news: I've got to go and get the PCB that I've diagnosed is the fault today. I'm reasonably confident that "PCB burnt in the corner" will be at least part of what is wrong. If there's anything else wrong it probably won't get fixed tomorrow.

BN: As well as the PCB one of the connectors had melted enough to be declared unfit.

More BN: Repair man didn't have one with him. (In all my dealings with various boiler install / servicing / repair types the electrical side has never been their forte. But at least he didn't cut the wires to the thermostat or tell me that the extra resistance of thicker cables would be a problem.)

GN: He's coming back Monday, hopes he has one in his store.

Hmm news: If he doesn't he started talking about new wiring looms, which strikes me as overkill. I've just found the bit on Farnell, its an 8 way * 1 row 0.2" molex.

BN: Maplin don't seem to stock them otherwise I could get one tomorrow.

GN: it's working again!

« Reply #1648 on: 12 November, 2014, 04:13:16 pm »
GN - our choice of an iPad for my Father's 81st birthday present was generally well received.

BN - he's somehow managed to persuade it to default to Romanian.......  this means I'll have to go up again & fix it  :facepalm:

Did you buy it off Trotters Independent Trading?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1649 on: 12 November, 2014, 05:06:23 pm »
GN: Managed to use my Powerball1 right-handed - apart from a few clicks and cracks from various bits of my wrist (newly released after 9 weeks in captivity) I managed a relatively pain-free 5-minute workout. My range of motion is, predictably, a bit crap.
BN: It's probably going to ache like a good'un tomorrow ...

1 - http://powerballs.com/