Author Topic: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light  (Read 102942 times)

LEE

Re: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #225 on: 02 August, 2013, 11:57:58 am »
Can I ask owners of the new light to rate it, in terms of pure light output, beam pattern ..etc (I'm not interested in the charging aspect , that may be a bonus in future).

Let's say that the existing B&M Cyo were 5/10 (it's the dyno light which has stood me in good stead for the last few years and plenty of night riding on pitch-black country lanes), how would you rate the new one?

The Peter White image look very impressive.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #226 on: 02 August, 2013, 05:51:10 pm »
10/10

It's a huge step up from the Cyo both in terms of output and beam shape.

I have now ridden in some very challenging conditions, and, touch wood, no issues with water ingress.  Interesting that they've now replaced it being a plug in lead (which always struck me as odd anyway).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #227 on: 02 August, 2013, 07:43:44 pm »
I think it is a great light, it has been through heavy rain and performed faultlessly. The beam shape in particular, with its wide shape and high beam function is excellent and it has been road tested in the dark on twisty descents and think it does an excellent job. I had the IQ Fly before this and it is a much better lamp in my opinion

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #228 on: 03 August, 2013, 04:41:35 pm »
I found Peter White's comments on charging iPads amusing .... my dynamo/PedalPower+ Super-I-Cable setup charges my iPad 2 okay, it just does not show it is charging even though it actually does it. 

Regards
Andrew

« Reply #229 on: 18 August, 2013, 04:09:50 pm »
Hi All.

Just wondering if anyone yet has run the Luxos off a battery pack? I think I saw a thread somewhere on YACF where someone ran a CYO quite successfully off a battery pack of 6xAAs. I'm thinking given its also designed to run off the same dynamos that it will probably also run at similar voltages.

I can't afford a dynamo wheel yet and don't really want to as I love my dura ace front hub wheel. Just spins forever, and I don't want to replace something that works...yet.

Cheers,

Adam

*first post on YACF, Yay!

« Reply #230 on: 20 August, 2013, 01:23:51 am »
It looks like B&M will release a "Mini Me" version of the Luxos called "Lumotec IQ2 Eyc":

The release slogan seems to be "50 euro for 50 Lux":
http://www.bumm.de/news/detail/article/klein-und-kraeftig-der-lumotec-iq2-eyc.html

There will be three versions:
Lumotec IQ2 Eyc N plus (With stand light)
Lumotec IQ2 Eyc plus (for bottle dynamos)
Lumotec IQ2 Eyc T senso plus (Stand light and day light LED's)

With a suggested price of 50 euro, it will probably sell for even less after some months. Logically it ought to obsolete the IQ2 Cyo RN (40 lux near field) and similar, since it has better specs and are cheaper, but B&M never seem to retire older models though they sometimes tweak them a bit. They still sell their halogen bulb front lights like the "Round" or "Oval", so maybe the IQ Cyo will fall in price, or get "tweaked" with another LED or similar.

Here is a press release with a photo of the "IQ2 Eyc" compared to a euro note:
http://www.pd-f.de/wp-content/uploads/kalins-pdf/singles/130722_fs13_03_50-lux_eyc.pdf

Here is a "Mini Me" comparison between the "Luxos" and the "Eyc":

--
Regards

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #231 on: 20 August, 2013, 12:09:41 pm »
Interesting.  Looks like they've removed the battery and related features (hopefully preserving the beam shape), so it should have the reliability of the Cyos.  A good choice for non-touring/audax bikes.

simonp

« Reply #232 on: 20 August, 2013, 05:32:58 pm »
A good choice for audax bikes too. Reliability trumps charging for me.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #233 on: 20 August, 2013, 09:36:51 pm »
It looks like B&M will release a "Mini Me" version of the Luxos called "Lumotec IQ2 Eyc"

this is the first dynamo light that looks appealing - particularly size and shape. might give it a go when it's released.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #234 on: 21 August, 2013, 04:27:30 pm »
I would have thought charging was mostly of interest to tourers, not audaxers, commuters or anyone else. My wonder is whether the mini-Luxos will have the same beam shape as its big daddy - it looks taller and narrower in comparison to its overall size. Looking forward to beam pics!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #235 on: 21 August, 2013, 04:37:13 pm »
If you want something simple/reliable without USB charging, the Luxos B is already available. I think that's probably the best choice for audax.

The mini version is probably more suited for a city bike, where you don't need as much brightness. Would also be good on a folding bike.

« Reply #236 on: 10 September, 2013, 09:59:56 am »
It looks like B&M will release a "Mini Me" version of the Luxos called "Lumotec IQ2 Eyc"

this is the first dynamo light that looks appealing - particularly size and shape. might give it a go when it's released.

Available in 3 weeks from Rose

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-lumotec-eyc-t-senso-plus-dynamo-headlight/aid:683823

Looks perfect for my commuter, I'm hovering over the "add to basket button"
Eddington: 114 Miles

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #237 on: 10 September, 2013, 04:28:04 pm »
The reflector on that Eyc looks like a total afterthought.

If it didn't have that (presumably for German compliance) I'd have one.  Wonder if it is just screwed in place?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #238 on: 10 September, 2013, 04:40:16 pm »
The reflector on that Eyc looks like a total afterthought.

If it didn't have that (presumably for German compliance) I'd have one.  Wonder if it is just screwed in place?

I think it is the same kind of fitting as on the Luxos, in which case it is on a plastic slide that connects to the bottom of the lamp and you don't have to install it. Peter White's image shows it without the reflector and it looks very similar

« Reply #239 on: 23 September, 2013, 11:46:18 am »
Just clicked buy on the eyc. Was gonna wait till payday but excitement took over! And that the need to get a light for my commuter soonish as a few more weeks and I'll be setting off for work in the dark. 

I'll report back on what I think of it.

And I won't be fitting the fugly reflector, just like I didn't fit the reflector on my Luxos on my Audax bike. 

LEE

« Reply #240 on: 24 September, 2013, 10:00:16 am »
The Eyc doesn't interest me but I'm getting very tempted by the Luxus as a Winter upgrade.

« Reply #241 on: 24 September, 2013, 10:05:29 am »
I've bought a Luxos B and moved the Cyo R to my wife's commuter.

No report yet as I have to build a wheel for the new dynohub with disc brake.  I can't decide on which rim to use yet, though!

« Reply #242 on: 01 October, 2013, 10:08:45 am »
Change of plan,  rose are now saying 5 weeks availability for the Eyc .  So I've changed my order for a Luxos B. More £££, but a better lamp and, more importantly, avaliable now.   

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #243 on: 30 November, 2013, 11:36:00 pm »
I may be up for one of these (translation, the wiring on my solidlights has died).

Rose has 'B + M headlight Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U senso plus with USB connector' at £112 which looks a keen pprice.

Question: as its the senso model, can I run it without the USB charger/switch being fitted? I'm thinking about leaving it off most of the time as I'll only need it when in touring mode, though doubtless once it's fitted it will likely stay that way.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #244 on: 01 December, 2013, 05:47:42 am »

Rose has 'B + M headlight Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U senso plus with USB connector' at £112 which looks a keen pprice.

I found http://starbike.com a little more competitive for me, but being in a Australia may make a difference (shipping and removal of VAT).

Andrew

« Reply #245 on: 01 December, 2013, 11:55:25 am »

But currently out of stock. Expected back in three weeks, so tight for Santa.

Question: as its the senso model, can I run it without the USB charger/switch being fitted? I'm thinking about leaving it off most of the time as I'll only need it when in touring mode, though doubtless once it's fitted it will likely stay that way.

It depends, details in an announcement from early November:
http://www.bumm.de/news/detail/article/luxos-u-lieferbar-mit-neuem-tasteranschluss.html

"Leider war unser helles Multitalent aufgrund eines fehlenden Bauteils bei einem unserer Lieferanten seit einiger Zeit nur eingeschränkt erhältlich. Dieser Engpass ist beseitigt und wir können nun erfreut vermelden: Ab sofort ist der Luxos U wieder vollends lieferbar." 
"Unfortunately one of our suppliers had limited supplies of a component, the bottle-neck has been resolved and the Luxos U is available again."

Text about using the Luxos U as Christmas tree illumination skipped.

"Der Luxos U wird ab sofort mit fest verbautem Lenkertaster ausgeliefert. Im Einzelfall ist es bei der herkömmlichen Klinkenstecker-Variante zum Eindringen von Feuchtigkeit gekommen. Wird der Klinkenstecker wie in der Bedienungsanleitung beschrieben (pdf-Link) eingerastet, besteht dieses Problem nicht. Um Feuchtigkeitsprobleme bei nicht korrekt montiertem Klinkenstecker zu vermeiden, haben wir uns für die Direktverkabelung entschieden."
"The Luxos U now ships with a fixed connection to the handlebar button. In some cases the version with a plug allowed water to get into the light (that wouldn't have happened if the instructions had been followed correctly). To avoid problems with moisture due to incorrectly plugged cables the cable is now pemanently attached."

The change is pretty obvious in the picture.

So it depends on whether you get old or new stock. As Rose are currently out of stock I expect them to get the new version.

Manotea

« Reply #246 on: 06 December, 2013, 04:50:37 pm »
All my birthdays have come at once. On Monday I ordered a Luxos from Rose who said it was out of stock with a two week wait, so I bought a Chinese Cree light from a UKsupplier on ebay as a  short term stop gap as my Cateye 530 had also gone missing probably dead.

The Chinese Cree was delivered by post first thing but I had also received a txt from Rose announcing the start of their christmas special (this weekend only) which is free delivery (£7.95 in my case). However before I could cancel my current order and place a new one, the doorbell rang and a courior handed over my Luxos!

I'm going to take the cree for a spin in the park and show those deer who's boss.

p.s., yes, a new version Luxos with integral switch lead. The USB is a bit OTT right now but hopefully it will come good next year. I'm thinking I'll coil the lead and park the switch on my top tube or some such.

« Reply #247 on: 11 December, 2013, 06:07:33 pm »
I've been running a Luxos B from an SP PV8 dynohub in a 700cc wheel for a few weeks now. I have an Edulux running from a SON in a 26" on another bike. The light output is comparable but the beam shape is superior from the Luxos and it also has the benefit of much better side visibilty. The B model standlight is very much dimmer than the Edelux standlight (I believe the U version runs on its battery for a while). I think it is a great light and certainly ticks all the boxes for me.
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

Manotea

« Reply #248 on: 13 February, 2014, 10:53:32 am »
Good news and Bad news,

I'd been using the Chineese Cree which is megabright but the battery performance pathetic. I don't seem to get more than an hour or so from full charge even on the lower setting so I invariably end up coming homing from Richmond Park in the dark, which means its rather useless.

The up side is the other day I wanted to go for a ride and had forgotten to charge the Cree so in desperation I fitted the Luxos which had been sitting on a shelf for two months. And was I pleased I did, because its fab. A nice bright, shaped long and wide beam pattern with only minor 'artefacts from the lens (I hated that aspect of the Cyo). My version has the daytime running LEDs to annoy other road users, so that's great to.

What I really like though is the way the light is powered through the integral battery, which means I get a bright light at low speed. That makes a huge difference for fixers when climbing. I had been resigned to buying a battery light for climbing, because when thing get gnarly and you near stall on a climb its really unhelpful if the lights go out at that point. Same goes really for the power boost button. I think the designers had in mind this would be used on descents but for fixers its on the climbs you need more light. Well, I do anyway, mebbe that's because I'm a scaredy cat descender. I simply dont go down hills at 50km+ very often, even in the day time.

So right now I'm really pleased. Twice as much light at near half the cost of my old solidlights (adjusted for inflation) with a free USB charging facility thrown in. What's not to like?

« Reply #249 on: 26 February, 2014, 12:12:49 pm »
The comparison pictures for the the differing B&M lights beam patterns are now up on the website .  I had a look at the Eyc a couple of weeks ago it really is a punchy little bugger. I was almost set on a Luxos for the tourer but now I'm head scratching mode again.
Neil,