Author Topic: PBP 2023 Charts  (Read 1728 times)

PBP 2023 Charts
« on: 24 December, 2023, 02:02:36 pm »
I've created some charts from the PBP 2023 results data. I have posted a few examples below, but please visit https://www.cyclecharts.uk/pbp-2023 for all the analysis and higher resolution versions of the charts

Re: PBP 2023 Charts
« Reply #1 on: 24 December, 2023, 08:43:23 pm »
Great stuff, thanks I have cancelled christmas so I have time to review, ACP is taking a long time to finish processing results so there likely will be changes especially among those riders currently classified as finished because they have an arrival time but clearly missed a lot of the later controls.

« Reply #2 on: 24 December, 2023, 08:59:56 pm »
Yes, I corrected a small number of obvious early turns (200km/hr between stages!) but there were other questionable ones where riders clearly had trouble finding the timing mats but produced impressive bursts of speed in the later stages of the event. You can see some of these in the animations if you look closely.

« Reply #3 on: 24 December, 2023, 09:54:17 pm »
Are you taking the stage 1 speed from the Mortagne (outbound) times, videos clearly show the mats set up for the return ie on exit for outbound, entry for return
Ps  not significant for the faster folk as they probably didn’t stop for more than seconds, slower may have lingered and their lingering would amplify the apparent slowness?

« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2023, 11:29:48 pm »
There's a brief explanation on the website about this. When I started looking at the data I noticed that the majority of riders had slower averages for the first stage and suspected something was off. I asked on here and some participants confirmed my suspicions about the mats (and kindly provided gpx recordings). I adjusted the stage 1 timings to correct for the mat placement.

« Reply #5 on: 25 December, 2023, 09:43:44 am »
Great charts
Some comments from my experience, on tuesday it was quite hot, this could have led to the relatively high amount of DNF's (I certainly know that my DNF on that day was related to heat)
A lot of riders choose to bump the official controls and take their breaks elsewhere. Either on locations provided by locals or by their club. You will for example see hardly any Dutch riders stopping at Loudéac control for longer times as we had our own encampment at Loudéac campsite (and there were more organised support camps of other groups of riders there).

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #6 on: 25 December, 2023, 12:32:34 pm »
One thing I am curious about: are there a significant differences between start groups with respect to finish rate, pace in the first stage and average pace? In particular, are the two velo speciale groups different from the rest?

« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2024, 12:51:53 am »
I really enjoyed the charts.  I don't mean to throw a spannerr into them, but I wanted to point out that there are inevitably some errors in the data used for these chargs.   I know this because my timer chip did not register at the last two controls, and I was listed as DNF.  However, I had an assurance from the organizers that I would be counted as a finisher (89:47!), and the official results that came out today (1/3/2024) confirm that.  I'm sure others have stories like mine. 

Bill Watts
Bill Watts

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2024, 09:32:49 pm »
Yes, I mentioned on the cyclecharts.uk website that I just used the data as published on the official PBP results page, so this will include incomplete or incorrect information for numerous individual cases like yours.

« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2024, 03:29:25 am »
Again, not to denigrate your project, but I believe that those were unnofficial results, gleaned from the live tracker PBP during the event.  I think there were quite a few cases like mine in which the chip reader failed; I read somewhere that this affected 200 riders.
Bill Watts

« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2024, 09:31:47 pm »
The charts aren’t a definite this is how it all unfolded.  They just give a general flavour, order of magnitude type sort of view.  Next time may or may not unfold the same. Your ride may or may not go the same. I’d view them that way.

« Reply #11 on: 09 January, 2024, 12:03:09 am »
Again, not to denigrate your project, but I believe that those were unnofficial results, gleaned from the live tracker PBP during the event.  I think there were quite a few cases like mine in which the chip reader failed; I read somewhere that this affected 200 riders.

200 out of almost 7,000 is just statistical noise especially where only 1 or 2 controls are in doubt but great that people can still storm in with just 13 minutes (or less) spare after riding for almost 90 hours, they deserve more acclaim than the sub 42hr crew, IMO.