Author Topic: 300,000 Mile Cycling Club  (Read 11140 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
300,000 Mile Cycling Club
« on: 19 August, 2017, 09:04:57 pm »
The 300,000 Mile Cycling Club finally has a website. There are several names listed that would be familiar to Audaxers and older CTCers and TTers.
http://300k-cc.co.uk
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: 300,000 Mile Cycling Club
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2017, 09:29:10 pm »
Hampshire road club/ portsmouth ctc have 3 members on the list , how long before a fourth join's i wonder?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2017, 08:28:23 pm »
i wonder why he has set the number of miles to 300k, i.e. not 200k or 400k; why does this particular mileage gets recorded in their book?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2017, 01:32:22 pm »
Probably because he felt it was the right balance of possibility of being achieved by a enthusiastic, normal-ability rider and difficulty/rarity. 300,000 miles is 50 years of averaging 6,000 miles annually, which doesn't sound particularly hard, when you say it quickly.

HK averages 10,000-19,000 miles annually around a full-time job and should make the list within the next couple of years.

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2017, 01:41:32 pm »
Thanks for the link, D.  Quite a few names I recognise there, including the last one, if it's the same Ron Mellor of West Pennine Road Club, who run the "original" UK Audax, North West Passage.  If I recall, he was still getting under the hour in his 70s.

Peter

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:09:13 pm »
2 names which stand out for me, apart from the obvious ones:

Cyril Banks of Merthyr. He had the smoothest pedalling action I've ever seen (on the road or on TV) , in or out of the saddle. I remember him telling me of his first 300,000 mile club meet-up, and his amazement at the accents to be heard, from two members in particular (yes, it was the obvious 2).

John Reaney. He had spent over 4 decades underground in the coal mines of South Yorkshire. He was one of the starters in the first LEL, but DNFd. When I finally arrived back in street outside the HQ, someone offered to take care of my bike while I went inside for card formalities and food. Only later did it occur to me that I didn't know him from Adam and my bike might be gone forever, not that I cared by that point. As it happened it was John and my bike was safe. There was also the time on the Great Eastern 1000 which involved a small group of us chasing him down the not-quite deserted A1 at 1 am. We were on the hard shoulder but he had somehow got in the "fast" lane. I still shudder to recall it.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

rob

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:23:14 pm »
John Reaney. He had spent over 4 decades underground in the coal mines of South Yorkshire. He was one of the starters in the first LEL, but DNFd. When I finally arrived back in street outside the HQ, someone offered to take care of my bike while I went inside for card formalities and food. Only later did it occur to me that I didn't know him from Adam and my bike might be gone forever, not that I cared by that point. As it happened it was John and my bike was safe. There was also the time on the Great Eastern 1000 which involved a small group of us chasing him down the not-quite deserted A1 at 1 am. We were on the hard shoulder but he had somehow got in the "fast" lane. I still shudder to recall it.

I remember John from my first audaxes out of Doncaster in the early 90s.   I also remember when the comic had a series of articles on the then members of the club when I used to devour every article.   It's then - mid teens - when I started to record my mileage.

I was very impressed to bump into Chris Davies near Chichester after I had moved to the South.    Similarly meeting Les Lowe in the middle of the night on the Burton-Bala bash.

At my current rate I'll hit 300,000 something like 2025, but all kinds of stuff can change between now and then.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2017, 11:55:05 am »
There are a couple of names in the Roll of Honour that I thought should be in the Current Membership list e.g. Peter Coulson.

rob

« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2017, 12:22:42 pm »
What do they use for documentation these days ?

I know you used to have to submit diaries and equipment lists.   I still have all my early diaries but switched to spreadsheets years ago so I can't imagine I would qualify.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2017, 02:13:20 pm »
I think (not 100% sure) that spreadsheets are fine. Strava, etc. might even count but HK would know for sure. Submitting stuff annually towards AUK's Mileater probably helps.

« Reply #10 on: 22 August, 2017, 02:38:59 pm »
Pete coulson is on the roll of honor, because he has not submitted any yearly mileage for a few years i guess.
This is normal practice as once you join there is no rejoining every year so knowing which members are still with us can be hard to know,  is has been known for members to suddenly return to the members list, after suddenly submitting year mileages again,

Remember every member as to submit there mileage for the previous year in jan for continued membership.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 22 August, 2017, 03:34:49 pm »
There are a couple of names in the Roll of Honour that I though should be in the Current Membership list e.g. Peter Coulson.

I don't think Giraffe rides a bike much nowadays.

[OT] I think there are two chaps with that name in yacf: Giraffe and hairyhippy.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 22 August, 2017, 04:54:17 pm »
Remember every member as to submit there mileage for the previous year in jan for continued membership.

HK will have to keep that rule in mind in the future. I will never join this club as I do not record my miles and I had never seen any of their rules before now.

« Reply #13 on: 22 August, 2017, 08:33:06 pm »
Likewise, I've never recorded mileage.

Who was it?  An older chap I met recently who was scathingly dismissive about the claims of one of the members of the club.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 22 August, 2017, 08:41:10 pm »
There are bound to be a couple of fabulists in the club but I figure that most of them will have done the hard yards.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #15 on: 24 August, 2017, 08:32:11 am »
There are a couple of names in the Roll of Honour that I thought should be in the Current Membership list e.g. Peter Coulson.
I agree - rumours of my daeth... etc.

Just that I haven't submitted mileage for quite a while, mainly due to a health problem in 2012 effectively stopped me from cycling. I could have started again in mid-2013 but, by that time, I'd got used to walking and somehow never regained a well-trued tuit.

Nev Chanin kept on at me for years about joining then, in the year of his death as it happened, he sent a letter and I thought I'd better obey the great man.
When I sent in the figures I'd just got over 400k in 40 years, including the very early ones with pathetic mileage and also the rapid falling off (oops!) after '97.
Eventually I stopped sending in figures as they weren't worth the bother; also I was too lazy to print and post them and e-mailed results weren't accepted.

I see that my old friend Mick Holiday has almost caught me - perhaps I should... - no, CBA!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #16 on: 24 August, 2017, 08:53:19 pm »
Estimate time of arrival at the club is 3rd quarter 2018.   The annual mileage spreadsheet has been out in count down mode, but like Cape Canaveral.

Average milage is currently a bit over 15,000. I blame Mr Pountney for keeping tabs on the average and improving it to it's current level.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 26 August, 2017, 02:10:34 pm »
Eventually I stopped sending in figures as they weren't worth the bother; also I was too lazy to print and post them and e-mailed results weren't accepted.

Given that they have finally created a website, their views regarding emails might have changed.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 14 September, 2017, 06:56:50 am »
There is a Canadian equivalent to the 300,000 Mile Cycling Club, the Canadian Kilometre Achiever Program. http://www.ckap.ca/

The major difference is that there is limited opportunity for retrospective claims, so most of a rider's mileage before joining CKAP doesn't count. Currently, their highest mileage rider has accumulated somewhere north of 900,000 kilometres.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 12 September, 2018, 09:54:01 pm »
HK averages 10,000-19,000 miles annually around a full-time job and should make the list within the next couple of years.

HK's numbers suggest that she has qualified for the 300,000 club during her commute home today. Her mileage has only been recorded since 01 Jan 1999.

« Reply #20 on: 12 September, 2018, 10:11:08 pm »
Awesome! Congratulations to her.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:03:45 am »
Congrats to HK!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #22 on: 13 September, 2018, 01:45:09 pm »
Congratulations HK! Astonishing achievement.

« Reply #23 on: 13 September, 2018, 01:48:45 pm »
Awesome. That suggests around 260,000,000 wheel revolutions and.... double? treble? .... that number of pedal revolutions

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:01:06 am »
Hopefully her wheel revolutions outnumber her pedal revolutions by at least a factor of 3.