Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by FifeingEejit on Yesterday at 11:14:21 pm »
I appear to have convinced facebooks recommendation system that I am I terested in unionism.
This has resulted in them suggesting I might be interested in the Scottish libertarian party.

My only interest in said party is to dump their membership on a remote island with the child abuse party and freedom alliance and see how many survivors there are after a year.

It's bad enough getting Willie Rennie political advertising, but at least if there was an in person campaign going on I'd be able to tell him he's "for the birds" to his face

This may have strayed into the realms of another thread and if inappropriate for the grumble I apologise.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
I was going to post this in the rant thread but I don't feel angry enough about it...

Just under a month ago, I made the foolish error of signing up for a free month's trial to The Times - only because there was an article I particularly wanted to read. Fortunately, I had the foresight to set myself a reminder of when the month was due to end...

So I visited the website yesterday evening to cancel the subscription before they took any money from me, only to find out that you can't cancel online, you have to call their 0800 number... cue sinking feeling in stomach. But fuck it, I'm not going to let myself be stung for £26 a month just because I'd rather not talk to some customer retention nazi...

God, that was a horrible experience. I know these people are only doing their job, but what a soul-destroying job it must be. I played along with it out of decency, so allowed myself to be subjected to his impertinent questions about why I wanted to cancel. He asked where I usually got my news from, so I told him The Guardian. He suggested that many Times readers enjoy the balance of their content and find the Guardian too left-leaning, and what did I think about that? I took great pleasure in telling him that maybe I don't find the Guardian nearly left-leaning enough.  ;D

Anyway, I stood firm and resisted all his attempts to persuade me to continue the subscription. Feel mightily relieved that's over.

For future reference, you can just instruct your bank/building society to stop paying them.

No need to be "all polite" about it.
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by Pingu on Yesterday at 10:19:30 pm »
The start of the Clod War.
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by drgannet on Yesterday at 10:06:03 pm »
Boris Johnson.

UK sends Royal Navy to patrol Jersey port amid fishing row https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57003069

"The prime minister held talks with Jersey's Chief Minister John Le Fondré and Minister of External Affairs Ian Gorst, and "stressed the urgent need for a de-escalation in tensions" between Jersey and France."

The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by LittleWheelsandBig on Yesterday at 09:57:49 pm »
Degreased the threads and added some Loctite to my trike’s headset. Hopefully that will stop it from gradually working loose. The 1” threaded steel Ritchey headset does have a hard life though. A biggish frame with the quill stem at the limit, two powerful front brakes and a heavy rider who likes to descend and corner enthusiastically.
Audax / Re: ACME 'Who's Entered What' Audax Thread
« Last post by GavinC on Yesterday at 09:44:45 pm »
Oh I don’t know. - I usually make a pretty good attempt at being lanterne rouge  :D
Further and Faster / Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Last post by Defblade on Yesterday at 09:42:03 pm »
Came on to say I just passed 2000 miles on Zwift today (2005, as it happens). Been on since 15th June last year, so hardly mega mileage, but I'm happy considering that's about 2004 more than I've done in most years for the last 2 decades ;)

Now I need to add:

97kph is my highest, annoyingly, even off the radio tower. I'm 93kg currently, so I should go downhill ok, but I reckon the 6'4" sail I call a body is holding me back a bit.

As for the power badges... to take TimC's format: I'm 50 on Sunday, I've touched just over 1400w, I can crank out 900-1000 briefly at will... but again it falls off quickly. Love the 200 meter sprints! Zwiftpower says my 15secs is 880w, 1min is 396w and my FTP is just 227w. I actually ride somewhere between 205-215 generally on Zwift.

I hate the Alpe, and reckon I'd hate MV even more... it's just a loooooong slow tedious grind for me (about 1hr20 for the Alpe). And I got the Lightweights second time up!
Give me a rolling route where you can blast the ups and relax on the downs any day of the week - plays to my strengths ;)
My Iowa correspondent reminded me about 'snickers salad.'

It's everything you think and more.
Today I went to a wonderful Sikh-run Indian bakery and sweetshop with a list of rules above the counter (customers are asked not to bring alcohol, tobacco and meat into the shop) and got, amongst other things, a chilli bhaji. Basically a huge chilli in batter. V tasty but not as spicy as I remember them.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Last post by ian on Yesterday at 09:26:21 pm »
A trio of Norwegian disaster movies (The Tunnel, The Wave, and Quake). I know, subtitles might make me into one of the smart kids. OK, unlikely.

Beards, sensible clothing, and a Whole Lotta Ingrid. Dangerous place Norway. A colleague of mine got bitten by a bug in Oslo and swelled up like the Hindenburg. I had to take her to a hospital where a number of bearded doctors and ones likely called Ingrid pronounced 'well, that is rather unusual.' Don't knowingly undertreat a German, my scandic chums, she's like a poorly medicated Godzilla.

One thing that I did learn from the subtitles though was the Norwegian word for 'shit' is 'fuck.' Either or the subtitlers were scared to chomp down on a proper swear.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10