Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144070 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1625 on: 11 May, 2021, 12:34:20 pm »
Just managed to post in the wrong thread.  Not sure how that happened but ...

Just back from a 10k walk.  Got rained on about half way round but almost dry again now.

I set my MAF hr at zone 3 (well, not quite at zone 3 but close) and not zone 2.  It seems to be working well and the ToJ likes it.  That's the kiss of death now I guess ...

« Reply #1626 on: 11 May, 2021, 12:39:15 pm »
Did 6k. It was fine but felt like hard work for some reason.

Not sure if physiological or psychological.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1627 on: 11 May, 2021, 02:18:31 pm »
Got out for 7k this morning before work which was great. 

Beardy, I think MAF runs need to be in the 60-90 minute range probably to see a major benefit but all work around this level is useful.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1628 on: 11 May, 2021, 03:53:24 pm »
Thanks Chris.

I’ve just plotted an extended rout for Thursday which should take about an hour.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1629 on: 12 May, 2021, 07:20:59 am »
Just back from my weekly intervals session.  Glorious morning and a great way to start the day.

My low hr maff-esque run is tomorrow Beardy and I do an hour at it once a week.   What surprises me is how I cover only about 1km less in an hour than when on a regular steady session.  I'll be leaving the house at about 05:45 and starting the session before 06:00 if you'd like to join me.

« Reply #1630 on: 12 May, 2021, 06:17:05 pm »
Almost crowded in the Park this morning. I saw TWO other runners!
Lovely morning for it, cool enough. but nice and sunny.
It is not like that now.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1631 on: 13 May, 2021, 06:51:54 am »
Rain delayed play.  Hoping to get out mid-morning.  The current forecast is for ten degrees and overcast: perfect conditions for me.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1632 on: 13 May, 2021, 08:24:48 am »
Rain delayed play.  Hoping to get out mid-morning.  The current forecast is for ten degrees and overcast: perfect conditions for me.
well I’m glad I resisted the urge to get up and ‘join’ when I briefly awoke at 5:45 this morning  :P  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1633 on: 13 May, 2021, 01:55:35 pm »
I was back to bed by then.

The forecast was / is wrong and the rain has persisted throughout the day.  It has now changed yet again to say that the rain is set in for the rest of the day so expect sunshine imminently.  🤔

« Reply #1634 on: 13 May, 2021, 02:39:30 pm »
No run yesterday or this morning.  I actually cycled for pleasure yesterday in the peak District.  Seems so long since I travelled somewhere and then cycled.  Anyway 900m of climbing in 40km left me unwilling to run this morning but hopefully get a recovery run this evening. 

I was pleasantly surprised by my ability on the hills where the aerobic benefit of the running seemed to be evident upto an indicated incline of about 17% where the legs fell off!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1635 on: 13 May, 2021, 10:31:08 pm »
The weather seeems to have moved in good and proper; I’m left wishing I’d made that extra bit of effort to get out this morning as planned. For a fair weather runner such as myself it’s looking like it’ll be next week sometime before I can get out and my preferred trails will be out because they’ll be muddy bogs after all this water. Oh woe. 

« Reply #1636 on: 14 May, 2021, 06:21:30 am »
I sit here and watch with frustration as the forecast moves almost by the minute.  The rain window has lengthened twice in thenpastn20 minutes and I was sure that the MET Office updates were more like hourly.

« Reply #1637 on: 14 May, 2021, 08:07:46 am »
Really bad nights sleep but wanted to get out for something so headed out to do the 5km that I started with last year.  100yds in stepping back onto the pavement after passing an old person I mistimed the move and twisted my ankle!  Hobbled home.  Ibuprofen and paracetamol taken.  Now swelling over the lateral malleolus.  stupid

« Reply #1638 on: 14 May, 2021, 08:55:31 am »
Oooo, not good Chris.  Hope all is well soon.

Here in Rugby the weather forecast continues to change every few minutes.  At present the prediction is that I'll get out for 11 and the plan is a 10km maf type low hr session. 

Fingers crossed.  🤞

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1639 on: 14 May, 2021, 09:35:17 am »
I’m not hungover (honest), but I am tired and very weary.  I know I should try and go for a run, but can’t really be bothered with all the work up of getting kitted out. But I’ve not yet had a shower because I know that doing so is an admission that I’m not going. Sheesh, I wish I was a less complicated person. 

« Reply #1640 on: 14 May, 2021, 11:25:55 am »
I’m not hungover (honest), but I am tired and very weary.  I know I should try and go for a run, but can’t really be bothered with all the work up of getting kitted out. But I’ve not yet had a shower because I know that doing so is an admission that I’m not going. Sheesh, I wish I was a less complicated person.
I can empathise with the feelings.  Tuesday, I had rented a campervan for 10 days to give it a trial.  I had planned to drive into the Peak district on the Wednesday and go for a bike ride, using the shower in the van and coffee facilities.  Wednesday morning I procrastinated, i did some shopping, read the paper, made marinades for 2 chicken dishes, even did some paperwork.  I did eventually manage to make myself go and had an absolutely brilliant time.

i have no real answer but i think part of it comes from having in my personal life little expectation of success or joy.  I suspect this comes from my childhood.  Whilst it was a life of luxury compared to many my mother was eventually diagnosed as a paranoid psychotic and refused to see myself, my fiancee or any of our children.  She even used to phone my employers and complain about me and accuse me of awful things.

Life as a child therefore was always lived on a knife edge in retrospect and I have almost no happy memories from the first 18 years of my life. 

I therefore look at how things are likely to fail and rarely like making plans.  My wife knows that it is almost impossible to get me to plan dates for holidays as my mind just cannot do it most of the time.  Once the date has been put in the diary by her I can then organise the holiday.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

On better news the ankle whilst swollen is not as sore as earlier so i think it will turn out to be a sprain rather than any sort of tear and hopefully running can resume sooner rather than later.

« Reply #1641 on: 14 May, 2021, 12:44:14 pm »
Those are the days that I fear Beardy.  The days when I want to run but it's almost as if I am scared of going for some completely unfathomable reason.  Today felt a bit like that if I am honest.

Thankfully I have been out, done a very enjoyable low hr session offroad and whacked 2pts on to my Garmin score for recording a 10k run between 14th and 16th May.   The last bit is entirely naff and pointless (pun intended) but Garmin Connect insisted upon telling me that I had earned a wondrous new badge.  🤔

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1642 on: 15 May, 2021, 03:17:35 pm »
Nothing yesterday, but a 7.5k walk today, although that’s mainly because we’re dog sitting for the boy’s dog. I managed to an hour and a half without it raining on us as well.

« Reply #1643 on: 15 May, 2021, 04:13:42 pm »
After my cathartic post above and a good nights sleep I have managed 30 minutes on the turbo spinning gently. The ankle feels looser and no more sore so I think I can keep some fitness like this until I can run again.

Good luck everybody for avoiding the weather this weekend

« Reply #1644 on: 15 May, 2021, 07:50:57 pm »
It was a walk today but I am planning an early 8k in the morning.

I have found a way to placate the ToJ:  I now record my walks rather than just let it count steps.  It then decides that they are low impact sessions and is happy for me.   Not exactly smart this smartwatch of mine.

« Reply #1645 on: 16 May, 2021, 07:27:24 am »
8k duly completed.  What a great way to start a lovely spring day.   Time to get the coffee on.

« Reply #1646 on: 16 May, 2021, 11:15:07 am »
Finally went for a proper jog, first since I Tore achilles  (not counting very brief run couple of weeks ag).
5.5km done. My lord I'm slow.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1647 on: 16 May, 2021, 11:28:05 am »
So am I but speed is not really important to me.  🙂

« Reply #1648 on: 18 May, 2021, 07:30:46 am »
Another perfect morning for an early run.   I was going to do 12k but my brane wasn't keen so I opted for 10k which it was happy with and both brane and I enjoyed it. 

« Reply #1649 on: 18 May, 2021, 07:52:51 am »
Excellent PB.  Whilst my sprained ankle mends I am doing steady state seated work on the Turbo and Pilates.  Sunny day here but not quite warm enough to do my session outside.