Author Topic: New gps  (Read 23766 times)

Re: New gps
« Reply #50 on: 22 June, 2020, 09:36:54 pm »
In bright sunlight I am able to peer across at Mrs h's handlebars when we're riding alongside each other and I can see the display on her Wahoo Roam clearly.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #51 on: 22 June, 2020, 09:56:43 pm »
I know two people who, on ultracycling events, have gone the wrong direction after a stop, back the way they came, for several hours. I don't know how they have their systems set up but can't imagine that type of major error could occur with North at the top!

That's a UI design issue though. My app draws a much thicker line in the direction you're meant to be going* and a track of where you've been**. Solving it with north as up seems brute force, but maybe it works for you.

Version 1.0 of my app was north up only and I could never get my head around junctions when travelling south.

* on iOS, never made it work on Android
** Well it would if I ever released the new version.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #52 on: 22 June, 2020, 10:02:42 pm »

That's my point; lots of people are fine with direction of travel at the top, like a car satnav. It makes it easier to turn the right way, esp when heading south, at the cost of having a less clear view of where you are and which direction you are heading in.
I know two people who, on ultracycling events, have gone the wrong direction after a stop, back the way they came, for several hours. I don't know how they have their systems set up but can't imagine that type of major error could occur with North at the top!

I have mine set to forward up. If I was to turn the wrong way out of a stop, it would beep like buggery. I wonder what devices they had...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 22 June, 2020, 10:11:04 pm »
I use forward-up on my eTrex, as it makes better use of the available portrait screen space (in general when cycling I'm more interested in what's approximately in front of me).  But north up is the only sensible way to use an Ordnance Survey map[1], so that's how I have Viewranger configured on my Androids.

IIRC the Garmin is set to switch to north-up below some zoom level that you almost never[2] use.  That makes sense.

[1] Which are stored as bitmaps (images) rather than vectors (mathematical shapes), so the text and symbols can't be automagically rendered the right way up at all times.
[2] Given the lack of pixels, once you're at the 10km zoom level or whatever, about the only useful thing you're going to be doing is eyeballing the shape of a track/route to make sure it's the one you're thinking of.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #54 on: 23 June, 2020, 01:38:06 pm »
I guess in an ultracycling event you might be adapting your route on the go in response to events (weather, roadworks, rivals' positions, news of the best pizza, minor wars, closed borders, epidemics,...) so wouldn't notice that you were off course, cos you're always/never off-course, you're just heading in the wrong/right direction. In which case a north-up orientation shows that you're still heading generally east, or whichever direction.

A rather different situation from audax though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #55 on: 23 June, 2020, 07:46:41 pm »
I have my etrex map page in automotive display mode, so closer to how a car sat nav display looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 23 June, 2020, 08:56:30 pm »
I have my etrex map page in automotive display mode, so closer to how a car sat nav display looks.

Whereas I tend to set car satnavs to a 2D map view :)

« Reply #57 on: 23 June, 2020, 09:22:37 pm »
...it involves a learning curve and varying degrees of fucking around and pre-ride homework...

I think this is the thing about GPS devices that people don't get.

The above sums these devices up perfectly

Whatvever brand/model you end up buying it will take some effort to learn its querks before being able to get the most out of it.

I can't offer any insight on the relevent question of which unit would be best though as I'm still using rather obsolete Garmin Edge 705. I do sometimes think about updating to something more up to date but so long as it keeps on working I'll probably stick with it.

« Reply #58 on: 23 June, 2020, 09:54:06 pm »
I guess in an ultracycling event you might be adapting your route on the go in response to events (weather, roadworks, rivals' positions, news of the best pizza, minor wars, closed borders, epidemics,...) so wouldn't notice that you were off course, cos you're always/never off-course, you're just heading in the wrong/right direction. In which case a north-up orientation shows that you're still heading generally east, or whichever direction.

A rather different situation from audax though.

No, not that it's relevant to the op but both were defined routes (Trans-Am and indypac)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #59 on: 25 June, 2020, 09:36:30 am »
I used to be a Garmin fan... but I'm afraid I'm now a Wahooligan when it comes to the bike.  The ease of use is the winner for me.   Garmin is now relegated to when I need OS maps for walking or geocaching.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #60 on: 27 June, 2020, 11:23:17 am »
Has anyone upgraded from a Wahoo Bolt to a Roam.   Was it really worth it ?    I love my Bolt after being let down by a number of Garmins

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #61 on: 30 June, 2020, 09:17:13 am »
Has anyone upgraded from a Wahoo Bolt to a Roam.   Was it really worth it ?    I love my Bolt after being let down by a number of Garmins

I'm very tempted to.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

New gps
« Reply #62 on: 08 August, 2020, 08:46:44 am »
This thread has already helped me, but:
Apart from battery type and case shape, is there a big difference in function / usability between an edge 530 and an etrex 32x? Once a bike mount is added they’re pretty close in price.

Background:
I used to have a satmap 10. A downpour fried it. I struggle to justify that price now.
I tried my phone (previous and current), but the strava tracks are full of jumping about.
I currently use a Lezyne that doesn’t do mapping, as a computer / recorder. For maps I have paper on a bar bag. I actually really like the wider view, especially for making it up as I go / touring.
However, for rides involving the night the bar bag and light fight; and for audax I’m mostly following a plan and could loose the big bag of cameras (and so the map on top).
My idea of navigation is mostly following a line on a map, but a map that does off road as well as on. Attaching route sheet instructions to places could be useful. I can plan routes on Linux (1st choice), iPad, or Mac using some mix of rwgps and Komoot.
I’d want distance, ride time, heart rate, speed, clock time etc as computer functions. But I’m not doing laps or following pace targets. And getting the ride record out to strava, but I don’t need notified about segments on the go.
Battery life needs to be over 12 hours in reality, ideally 20 - corresponding to 200 / 300 without mucking about with chargers. For multi day / longer the USB charge I’d already support for my phone, and AAs are reassuringly widely available.

Davef

« Reply #63 on: 08 August, 2020, 03:23:32 pm »
I would go down the 530 route.

« Reply #64 on: 08 August, 2020, 04:54:59 pm »
I would go down the 530 route.
What about it makes you prefer it?
Not questioning, actually curious.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #65 on: 08 August, 2020, 09:49:14 pm »
I've got an Etrex 30 that I've been using for several years with minimal problems (there are some idosyncracies that you have to get your head around including: splitting tracks or downsizing the number of track points to get over the track point limit; stitching tracks together after long overnight rides; tricking strava into reading the bariometric altimeter). It will do all of the things that you (Perpetual Dan) require and it with the right batteries you can cover rides up to 600km on one or two sets of batteries. The mapping is fine if used in track mode (following the line on a map), it will also do routing with turn by turn directions but is a little less stable but there are ways to minimise the problem but it sounds like you're happy with the line on the map.
I recently bought a new bike and fancied trying a different GPS and bought a 530. The reasons: the mounting is a lot neater and there are more options including out-front mounts; the 530 has a longer run time than previous models and is compatible with the stupidly expensive Garmin battery which can be mounted underneath it, if I get on with it then I might indulge in one of these which might combined might get me around a 600; my understanding is that it has a significantly faster processor which I'm hoping will make it less crash prone than other Edge models; I fancied trying something with turn by turn directions and without some of the faff of the etrex in terms of splitting tracks and recombining ridden tracks; and something with a bit more connectivity for uploads etc.
After about 5 weeks, my reflections are that it's nice, I have a bit of a learning curve regarding it's mapping but I'm getting there and there are some settings that you have to get right to make it behave itself in line with my wishes. it's better than the etrex in sunlight. I could happily live without a lot of the fitness training features and so in many ways I'm using it like the Etrex.  I also think if I was heading on a long ride using unfamiliar roads I'd be going for the Etrex but that may be because I'm so used to it.

« Reply #66 on: 10 August, 2020, 06:38:03 pm »
I tried a 530 a few weeks ago. I got it along with a 1030 to see which I preferred. The 1030 was far more pleasant to use. The 530 felt like it was a device with buttons but which has been designed to work with a touch screen. I found it noticeably less pleasant to use than my old 705 ,which does not have a touch screen but was designed to be operated without one.
Based on this, If going for a garmin edge I'd get a touch screen one.

« Reply #67 on: 10 August, 2020, 09:42:22 pm »
Thanks, these kinds of experience are so useful.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the etrex seems to lack syncing via a phone at the end of the day, which will be tedious and also has possibly poor compatibility with rotation sensors.

The 830 is back into satmap prices. Saving up maybe better than instant gratification though :)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #68 on: 10 August, 2020, 09:57:59 pm »
...I’ve come to the conclusion that the etrex seems to lack syncing via a phone at the end of the day, which will be tedious...

Download file from GPS, upload it to a website. Not really that strenuous IME.

« Reply #69 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:24:09 pm »
The Wahoo syncs with RwGPS via the home wifi as you walk through the door.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #70 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:45:01 pm »
I’ve mostly written them off on the mapping front though.

« Reply #71 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:49:13 pm »
Fair enough. Perhaps you need a SatMap / Wahoo combo.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #72 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:54:34 pm »
Fair enough. Perhaps you need a SatMap / Wahoo combo.
:D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #73 on: 10 August, 2020, 11:33:28 pm »
I’ve mostly written them off on the mapping front though.

Why? It's OSM...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #74 on: 10 August, 2020, 11:42:49 pm »
A reduced version of OSM, and not as detailed as Garmin.  Plus, seeing enough map to get back onto your route if you ever leave it is a pain.