Author Topic: Dynamo fitted to the 1990's Brompton Mk 2 Bikes  (Read 3714 times)

Dynamo fitted to the 1990's Brompton Mk 2 Bikes
« on: 18 September, 2020, 10:23:22 pm »
Does anyone have any links for info on the Dynamo fitted to the Mk 2 Brompton Bikes - was it sourced from Soubitez, (a french manufacturer) or is that just the front lamp

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Dynamo fitted to the 1990's Brompton Mk 2 Bikes
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2020, 10:45:36 pm »
Union was the biggest German maker of dynamos in the 1980s. Brompton swapped to (useless but Dutch) Axa dynamos in the 1990s. Brompton were notorious for fitting very light dynamos that would bounce on over bumps and rust into uselessness from water penetration when the swingarm was folded.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2020, 10:48:48 pm »
Union was the biggest German maker of dynamos in the 1980s. Brompton swapped to (useless but Dutch) Axa dynamos in the 1990s.

Thanks, so it's a Union dynamo with a French front lamp and a ??? Rear

Cannot make out the word fully

« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2020, 11:03:41 pm »
Is that not just Soubitez upside down?  ???
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2020, 11:04:35 pm »
The rear is a Soubitez.

I do not know if the dynamo is actually a Union. It is just the most likely suspect.

A Nordlicht was the best of the pre-2000 dynamos, quiet, kind to tyres and long-lasting, but they are long gone and Dutch, I think.

« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2020, 11:23:28 pm »
Is that not just Soubitez upside down?  ???

Thanks - couldn't see for looking - spent 10 mins this afternoon trying to figure that out - I thought that it was Spanish!!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2020, 10:00:20 am »
Have you tried asking the factory for dynamo specifics? There are a lot of relative newbies there but some might recall the details of their old bikes or the firm may have retained records of purchases from back then.

« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2020, 03:14:36 pm »
Have you tried asking the factory for dynamo specifics? There are a lot of relative newbies there but some might recall the details of their old bikes or the firm may have retained records of purchases from back then.

I have found that it is hopeless talking to Brompton - you can only do it now through this chat thing on their web site - I spoke to a guy this way a couple of days ago and asked him if they still had those factory handlebar braces for a 1995 T5, maybe there's one kicking about which I would like for "completeness" for my T5 - he came back and said that I should have changed all those "alloy" parts years ago and that was a Brompton recommendation - which I am sure is not true - I wish I had kept a screen shot of the conversation. 

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2020, 04:09:12 pm »
Just a bit more info for anyone who is interested

from David Henshaw's Book

apparently the Soubitez dynamo was replaced by Union in 1995 and in 1996 Union was replaced by Jos and then in the same year Jos was replaced by Axa

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2020, 12:52:52 am »
I do not know if the dynamo is actually a Union. It is just the most likely suspect.
I know nothing about Bromptons – I just wandered in here looking for something else – but that dynamo reminded me instantly of the Union I had in the late 80s. It was a really inefficient dynamo and I was glad to get rid of it in favour of Ever Ready battery lights.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 20 September, 2020, 09:04:53 am »

I have found that it is hopeless talking to Brompton - you can only do it now through this chat thing on their web site - I spoke to a guy this way a couple of days ago and asked him if they still had those factory handlebar braces for a 1995 T5, maybe there's one kicking about which I would like for "completeness" for my T5 - he came back and said that I should have changed all those "alloy" parts years ago and that was a Brompton recommendation - which I am sure is not true - I wish I had kept a screen shot of the conversation.

I'm pretty sure current Bromptons have a shortish recommended life for the handlebars and seatpost; 5,000 miles or 5 years, whichever's shorter, that kind of thing. I presume this is an avoiding liability thing as much as a 'this will actually break' thing, but it means they'll always advise you to replace older parts.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2020, 09:14:00 am »
Yes and also hinge plates.

It does seem that Brompton’s customer-facing staff are very much reading off a script, rather than actually thinking and understanding the questions being asked.