Author Topic: Photograping the Northern Lights  (Read 2746 times)

LE

Photograping the Northern Lights
« on: 14 December, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »
Hello

I have got my dSLR. I've played with it and now have some idea of the settings and what the camera is capable of. Now
I'd  be grateful of some tips on camera settings that will make it possible to capture the Northern Lights.

Thanks.

Elleigh

noisycrank

• twitter @noisycrank
Re: Photograping the Northern Lights
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2008, 02:07:51 pm »
A few years ago I used to see the Northern lights regularly on my commute home. But sunspot activity has been much lower lately and the Northern lights have been largely absent. A trip north may be indicated.

I often used to check this website if the weather was clear.

http://www.northern-lights.no/

It seems to have been a bit neglected but the Realtime Measurement link to POES still works. What you are looking for is yellow over the UK. (or your house if you live somewhere else)

The photo contest has closed but there are still some crackers on here.
If you don't like my haircut you can suck my socks!

« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2008, 02:24:41 pm »
On a trip to Norway, my exposures (at f2.8 I think) averaged 30 secs on ISO400 film which was pushed to ISO800.

It depends on the nature of the aurora of course but that should give you an idea.

The digital experts be here ...
digital_astro : Digital Astro

« Reply #3 on: 14 December, 2008, 05:48:02 pm »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

cometworm

« Reply #4 on: 14 December, 2008, 06:15:38 pm »
This guy has some examples with camera and exposure details.

« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2008, 03:57:58 pm »
I used to use 800ASA, 24mm f2.8, somewhere between about 5 seconds and a minute.
Points to note are:-
a) To some extent there is no "correct" exposure. If you give a different exposure you get a different result, but both can be good. i.e give a good variety of exposures.
b) In Norway/Finland you may have problems with battery life. Batteries generally don't like low temperatures and cameras use power to hold the shutter open and the mirror up, so long exposures can be difficult. Either (1) use a remote power pack inside your clothing, or (2) use several batteries, and swap them over often so that the battery pack itself doesn't cool off too much before being put back in an inside pocket.  (2) is probably cheaper if you use generic batteries from 7dayshop or somewhere. Don't try to keep the whole camera warm under your clothes - it will get condensation on it.
c) Aurorae can be quite mobile, and if you give too long an exposure the detail can get blurred out.
d) The above film-based exposure times will allow for reciprocity failure. Film sensitivity depends on exposure time, so 1/100s at f2 doesn't give the same result as 2.5s at f32. Digital will not necessarily want the same exposure times. It's still a starting point for experimentation though.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2008, 06:57:16 pm »
You *will* need a tripod. A remote release is also a good idea.

Set the camera to manual. Set the ISO to 100 or 200.

Use almost the widest aperture you can (smallest number.) almost, because most lenses are a wee bit better if you close them up a little.

Set the Autofocus to manual. Focus the lens at infinity.

Start with about 30secs exposure. If you can, use the remote release. If you don't have one then set the self timer to a few seconds, enough to let the camera become steady after pressing the shutter.

Look at the results. If it is too dark, increase the exposure time. If it is too light, decrease the exposure.

If exposure times get too long (more than about a minute or so) then try pushing the ISO up.

The Northern Lights can be very dynamic, fluctuating rapidly.

Have fun, and a flask of hot cocoa for the photographer..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LE

« Reply #7 on: 18 December, 2008, 11:50:10 am »
Thanks for the tips. I'm currently playing with the setting on the camera and learning what happens and how it affects the outcome of the photo.

« Reply #8 on: 18 December, 2008, 06:46:13 pm »
What camera did you buy?

LE

« Reply #9 on: 18 December, 2008, 07:06:41 pm »
Nikkon d40 :)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 18 December, 2008, 08:41:45 pm »
I hope that is a Nikon D40..

Now is the time to practice lots of night time photos. Look at light and see what you can do with it. Try different exposures etc.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LE

« Reply #11 on: 18 December, 2008, 10:48:21 pm »
Sorry yes it Nikon. Me and the Blackberry don't get on that well. I'm lucky to get the 'p' key to work.

I'm having a tripod for Christmas so I have every intention of practising. :)

« Reply #12 on: 19 December, 2008, 10:42:08 am »
Superb.  Sounds excellent.  Can't wait to see your foties.   :)

« Reply #13 on: 20 December, 2008, 10:16:48 am »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark