Author Topic: Have you been out with your camera today?  (Read 246464 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Have you been out with your camera today?
« Reply #1800 on: 10 February, 2021, 10:12:10 pm »
Yes, with my giant Fujifilm GW670 and a roll of outraged FP4 (best before some time in 1994). At least this time I took a light meter with a fresh battery, unlike last week. Goodness when I'll see the results, or what they'll look like.

This was probably the best of a bad batch - all underexposed. I don't think I'd fully taken account of the 'add a stop for each decade past its sell-by date' rule. Then again, that would have meant ISO 25-ish on a dull winter's day without a tripod.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1801 on: 02 March, 2021, 12:17:25 pm »
Yesterday I went out with yet another old film camera, this time a Noblex 135U panoramic camera. For those unfamiliar with this beast, it uses 35mm film and each frame is 24mm x 66mm. The film is held against a circular frame, and when the shutter is released, a drum containing the lens and two slits 180° apart rotates in front of the film. One wider slit lets the light into the drum, while the smaller one, directly opposite, one acts like a focal plane shutter. The drum builds up speed for the first half of the rotation, then exposes for the 2nd half. The speed of the rotation depends on the 'shutter speed' - 1/500 takes 1/4 seconds and 1/30 takes 4 seconds. They appear to be available on ebay for £450 to £700. There's also a 120 version.

All very well, but mine had died (or so I thought) in about 2000 and been sitting in a cupboard ever since. Anyway, on Sunday I put some batteries  in to see what would happen and lo and behold! the frame counter LCD lit up with 00 and the 'ready' LED shone bright green. However, pressing the  shutter release had no effect. After several more tries I heard the motor trying its thing, but nothing moved. The drum was stuck fast. I tried to force it from the front and then from the back, but it was if it had been superglued. Eventually I succeeded in shifting it by pushing hard simultaneously at the front and back, but it still wouldn't rotate under its own steam. By 'encouraging' it round and pushing when it jammed, it became a little freer, and eventually rotated 360° - but only at 1/500 sec - I guess the greater momentum was pushing past whatever was causing the jam. I tried the same with 1/250 sec and got that working, then with ever lengthening speeds until I had the whole range of 1/30 to 1/500 working.

So yesterday I went out along the canal and used up a whole (nominal) 36-exposure film (or in this case actually 19 exposures). But because it's film I'll have to wait for the results.

« Reply #1802 on: 02 March, 2021, 12:23:41 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1803 on: 02 March, 2021, 01:14:49 pm »

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1804 on: 02 March, 2021, 03:07:44 pm »

With knobs on.

It's in the vast grounds of Dogmersfield Hall, stately home, then school, then Amdahl HQ, now a posh hotel. Landscaping by the bloke you got in if you couldn't afford C. Brown.

British Library digitised image from page 62 of "Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. L.P" by British Library, on Flickr

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1805 on: 22 March, 2021, 10:05:35 am »
Today's theme for flickr's Macro Mondays group is "Rust". So yesterday afternoon I went out with my Olympus 60mm macro looking for suitable bits of barbed wire, fencing or anything else. Eventually I settled for this nut and bolt on the hinge of a farm gate.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1806 on: 09 May, 2021, 05:16:16 pm »
10k dander with MrsT up to the Col du Wiep behind the village. Not that much to see - seen one tree, seen 'em all - but I got this shot looking out across the Plaine d'Alsace towards the Black Forest about 30k away.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1807 on: 25 September, 2022, 02:48:51 pm »
And everything in the garden was lovely...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1808 on: 13 October, 2022, 11:09:33 am »

Almost home, sun almost set, mist rising

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1809 on: 24 February, 2023, 08:09:56 am »
From our bedroom window the other night:

« Reply #1810 on: 24 February, 2023, 03:11:07 pm »
that's lovely.

Cold this morning, but not long till the boat race so the final crews are almost selected and we can try and tidy it all up a bit:
_IKE0115

_IKE0127

(first one is on a tributary that flows into the main river, trying to avoid the wash from other launches following other crews and the headwind! was taken about here: https://goo.gl/maps/iqyNXrsSRPVY6dS68. Second one has Ely Cathedral hiding behind the tree on the right hand bank)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1811 on: 24 February, 2023, 03:56:19 pm »
Great light.  Chilly though.

« Reply #1812 on: 27 February, 2023, 01:15:43 pm »
^^I spent a day fishing the Lark at about that point many years ago.  No fish but it was a nice day out.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1813 on: 24 August, 2023, 02:45:44 pm »
Dawn across the fields near Morsbronn-les-Bains

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1814 on: 16 September, 2023, 10:54:24 am »
Thursday towards km 150:

Still capable of holding the camera up, but only just. Fortunately back-lit teasels are a no-brainer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1815 on: 06 October, 2023, 09:35:04 am »

Rising sun's rays stopped down to a thin beam by a handy tree, imaging the curtains on the wall; lower part washed out by general sky-light.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1816 on: 16 January, 2024, 04:05:52 pm »
I was given some snovlox 35mm B&W film for Christmas. Given the flakes falling here in West Yorkshire, I headed out to play at being an artist. 36 shots shot. Film in the post to developers. That was a hoot.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1817 on: 18 January, 2024, 06:19:50 pm »
When I was preparing lunch I decided to mess about with my macro lens, that I haven't really got the hang of yet.

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1818 on: 18 January, 2024, 06:40:45 pm »
Jan's brain is green  ??? ???
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1819 on: 26 February, 2024, 09:18:25 am »
Greedy Saverne pigeon too fast for autofocus